U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2012, 08:53 PM

20 posts, read 41,106 times

Advertisements

I-565, County Line Road interchange work could start in a year | al.com

"The DOT has predicted the completed interchange would reduce the number of vehicles exiting I-565 at Wall Triana Highway by 18 percent."
What a bunch of BS. Obviously the DOT doesn’t travel this route. I live off county line and drive this route everyday. I would say that an interchange at County line and I-565 would relieve at least 30 percent of the traffic exiting from I-565 to onto Wall Triana and 30 percent of the morning rush hour entering I-565 from Wall Triana

Two years to construct and no telling how long to buy the junkyard on the west side of county line where the old falling down stone house is sitting that is breaking numerous Huntsville city code violations with all the junk cars and trucks. This project is about 20 years behind schedule. I cant believe there is an exit and entrance at Greenbrier onto 565 in the middle of nowhere but Madison, POP over 40000 only has Wall Triana and the
Goat- Fxxx entering and exiting 565 on 20/Madison Blvd.

Go figure, no wonder Huntsville has surrounded Madison and has dominated in collecting sales taxes to support its citizens from Madison and the surrounding county and communities. They are laughing all the way to the bank. Huntsville gets to collect the sales tax and not spend a dime to support the people paying the taxes. Use the money to bribe other businesses to relocate to Huntsville and support their inept/disfunctional school system, social engineering and the Huntsville Housing Authority.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 08:56 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,768,086 times
Unfortunately the owners of that house were able to get it on the historic register, or something like that, because of the type of house it is.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:35 AM

183 posts, read 384,306 times
Believe it when you see it finished.

Old Madison Pike is an example of talk with no resultant action. Check out this article for more information.

Old Madison Pike widening scheduled to begin in June | al.com

"This project goes back about 20 years and has been promised many times, only to be delayed by a wide variety of excuses including money," Porter said in an email. "There have been all sorts of appeals for action, but I see no progress."

Old 02-04-2012, 12:04 PM

4,527 posts, read 7,813,154 times
Any chance of 565 being expanded further east beyond Huntsville? Always been curious about that.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:45 PM

234 posts, read 647,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Any chance of 565 being expanded further east beyond Huntsville? Always been curious about that.
It's on the long term schedule. The memphis to atlanta highway is planned to go through huntsville and then on to Atlanta. That's a long way off though.

I think what everyone is failing to realize that the most road projects take multiple decades to complete, especially if they involve the acquisition of of right of way. Decades long delays are nothing new.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:06 PM

4,527 posts, read 7,813,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedriskell View Post
It's on the long term schedule. The memphis to atlanta highway is planned to go through huntsville and then on to Atlanta. That's a long way off though.

I think what everyone is failing to realize that the most road projects take multiple decades to complete, especially if they involve the acquisition of of right of way. Decades long delays are nothing new.
You're correct that it takes decades for these things to happen. I-22 is a good example.

Are you sure what you are talking about has to do with 565's extension past Huntsville? Either way, if you have it, I'd love to see a link with some info on this proposed highway. I've heard talk about it, but haven't seen any info.
I think it would be a great idea for more connection throughout the south, but I'm not sure another Memphis route is justifiable. Atlanta to Huntsville on the other hand would be great.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:33 AM

394 posts, read 558,051 times
Quote:
You're correct that it takes decades for these things to happen. I-22 is a good example.

Are you sure what you are talking about has to do with 565's extension past Huntsville? Either way, if you have it, I'd love to see a link with some info on this proposed highway. I've heard talk about it, but haven't seen any info.
I think it would be a great idea for more connection throughout the south, but I'm not sure another Memphis route is justifiable. Atlanta to Huntsville on the other hand would be great.
Here ae some links..

Interstate-Guide: Interstate 565 Alabama

High Priority Corridors @ AARoads: U.S. 72 (Corridor 7)

Appalachian Development Highway System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-05-2012, 07:46 AM

137 posts, read 210,698 times
Quote:

Be careful what you ask for. A road to Atlanta may result in a TREMENDOUS increase in traffic coming through Huntsville to get to Atlanta and elsewheres. Mess around too much, and it could end up like the I-95 corridor we have up here in northern VA. Lots of through traffic mixing with local traffice creating a gridlocked nightmare! I'm moving down there to get away from stuff like that!

Old 02-06-2012, 09:44 AM

307 posts, read 361,326 times
This interchange will likely be another nightmare in the making for drivers and residents of western Madison County. You certainly know what I'm talking about if you've seen the detailed plans, which currently call for a wrap-around intersection that is situated on the western side of County Line Road. This means that westbound I-565 traffic intending to go north on County Line will take a new exit ramp and go underneath the County Line overpass and loop around onto the eastbound Hwy 20 lanes, cross both of them, get into the left turn lane(s), and wait for a signal to go north on County Line.

Anybody think this configuration will result in smooth traffic flow for drivers? It very likely will not. Folks in the above group will be competing for the traffic signal with westbound travelers on Hwy 20 and also southbound drivers on County Line Road who are wanting to go east on I-565. These latter drivers will have to go through the intersection, go across the overpass, and then make a right onto an exit ramp that wraps around and dumps drivers out onto the eastbound lanes of I-565.

I'm a more than a little dumbfounded that the State Highway Department is even considering this configuration given the complete cluster that the I-565/Wall Triana one is for westbound drivers. We've already seen the effects of drivers taking an exit ramp, crossing two lanes of traffic to get in left turn lanes, and then waiting on a signal. If you think about it, this new interchange design is basically the Wall Triana one rotated 90 degrees clockwise.

What I would suggest for the interchange instead of the planned design is one with flyover ramps. I would have a westbound exit ramp that went over the top of Hwy 20 and dumped traffic onto County Line Road about 150 yards north of the current interchange. I would suggest something similar to handle southbound traffic on County Line wanting to go east on I-565. Have an exit ramp that started 200 yards north of the current interchange and have it go over both Hwy 20 lanes and both I-565 lanes and then dump traffic onto the eastbound I-565 lanes. Envision something similar to the overpass and ramp that dump traffic onto I-565 on the eastern end of Hwy 20.

What you really want is uninterrupted traffic flow for folks trying to get off the interstate and for those trying to get on. You can't have traffic stopping for traffic signals or competing against each other for access if that is your goal. Any design that doesn't try to account for that will undoubtedly lead to traffic back ups and bottlenecks and result in more headaches and long waits for drivers.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:55 AM

6,110 posts, read 9,800,702 times
Why doesn't the ALDOT just expand the airport exit from the I-565 onto Madison Blvd? It is just a 1/4 mi from the countyline road, you can even go east on Madison blvd by doing this, going on west you can make a left/right turn as you please to go south/north onto the countyline road. It is a simple, no brainer, approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area