Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 07:30 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,028 times

Advertisements

Well they could just stop requiring the deposits and then spread the losses on unpaid accounts across all paying customers like most of the other places you guys are mentioning. Of course then we wouldn't have some of the lowest utility rates in the country like we do now. So the question is, do you want to put down a refundable deposit which is based off the average monthly bill for customers, or do you want to pay all the dead beat's bills for them?

It is only $300 and the best way to look at it is you are simply paying your bill one month in advance. I personally would rather pay the deposit and have lower rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 08:02 AM

137 posts, read 231,275 times
The rates are not high in my area now or other areas I've been in. That 300 does next to nothing to help them cover the costs of deadbeats. If they just ran a simple credit check like other utilities, they can quickly find out who is likely a risk, and who likely is not! From some of the threads I've read here on utilities bill prices, I actually did not think they were all that great. Not the worst I've seen, but not the best.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:11 AM

93 posts, read 177,600 times
You may be happy to know that your huge $300 deposit will accrue some interest, used to be 5% in good economic times, but last rate I could see was 0.4%. However that 0.4% is probably more than many folks earn if that 300 was sitting in their checking account... Redstone savings accounts only pay 0.4% currently. With the economy tanking it was a nice surprise to get my deposit back with a nice accrual of interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area