Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 11:04 PM

4 posts, read 20,540 times

Advertisements

Looking into a possible job opportunity at Redstone Arsenal and trying to do some research as I may be moving from Alaska. One of the biggest things I enjoy here in AK is the freedom to head out in so many different spots to take my Yamaha Rhino to hunt, trout/salmon fishing, or just go play. I haven't found much reference on areas surrounding Huntsville, other than a few references on land leasing. Reckon my main focus is state land that is open for public hunting, fishing, and riding.

So I'm hoping someone in here might be able to provide some encouraging info.

Thanks...

Last edited by TruBluTex; 02-03-2012 at 12:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 07:36 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,252,013 times
Not an expert on any of above but there are a ton of 4 wheelers around here. Lots of land and trails too. Huge 69000 acre lake for fishing and boating. Many bass fishing pros come here to fish. I met a guy last week who said he had gotten something like 17 deer bow hunting and 12 with a gun. You not only have AL but TN is very close too.

I am sure there are others who have more experience and can give you advise.

Here is a link to the state owned land
Alabama Wildlife Management Area Maps and Hunting Permits

Old 02-03-2012, 08:08 AM

282 posts, read 688,908 times
I don't hunt or fish but I hear there are lots of places for that in the area. Also, you can hunt and fish on the Arsenal; maybe on your lunch break

Hunting and Fishing

Old 02-03-2012, 09:19 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,456,295 times
Best to get permission from the landowner first before hunting or 4-wheeling. There are a couple of ATV parks (private, fee charged) just south of Cullman. There may be more.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:45 PM

113 posts, read 428,838 times
Whatever you do, please don't follow this chap's example.....lol....

Albertville man arrested for hunting with ATV on railroad tracks at night | Crime | Guntersville News

Old 02-14-2012, 07:40 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,185,039 times
Head out west to Lawrence, Franklin, and Marion Counties. You can strike deals with local landowners, and there are some hunting clubs where member can hunt on land the club owns/rents and maintains. Probably the same in the more rural counties to the east too. The Bankhead National Forest complex of federal lands to the west allows hunting, and from time to time allows no limit hog hunting to anyone with a hunting license. The arsenal itself is pretty large, and I have heard people who work on base can get permission to hunt in certain areas of it.

You're going to be more limited in your options in Alabama. Whitetail deer and hogs are the only large game animals in the state. The only large predators in the state are black bears, alligators, and mountain lions (depending on who you talk to in the state). However, gators are the only ones I've heard anyone hunting, and the permit for that comes from a lottery. On top of that even though there are gators around Huntsville as far as I know Mobile Bay and Lake Eufala are the only places in the state you are currently allowed to hunt them. Next come rabbits and squirrels. Then for birds there's your usual waterfowl, turkeys, and bobwhite quail. There are a few other things you can legally hunt, but those are the most common ones.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:20 PM

583 posts, read 830,959 times
In Alabama, you can hunt hogs 365 days per year outside the Wildlife Management Areas, including the Bankhead NF. Hog hunting inside the various WMAs is per each WMA.

For the Black Warrior WMA (inside the BNF), you can hunt hogs during any other legal hunting season using guns legal for the season (i.e. squirrel guns during squirrel season, deer guns during deer and hog season, etc.).

Squirrel season lasts through Feb. 29 and I'll be hog hunting out there until that season is over. The first special hog hunting season is March 1-15 and deer guns are legal. This is for the BW WMA only; 365 days per year outside the WMAs. Between the early and late special hog hunting season (late Sept. and early March), squirrel and deer season, you can hunt hogs in the BW WMA from mid-Sept. thru March 15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area