Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 10:58 AM

934 posts, read 1,938,544 times

Advertisements

5? As in fewer than 6 but more than 4?

Cmon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 05:49 PM

396 posts, read 664,908 times
Moved here from California eight years ago. Absolutely love it. While I liked California, my wife hated it. We both find Huntsville to be nearly perfect (although the politics certainly get pretty far right).

Old 05-11-2012, 10:25 AM

159 posts, read 382,983 times
For what it's worth, from my experience, Huntsville is my favorite place to be from everywhere I've been in Alabama. Not a fan of the rural areas so much. Birmingham has a lot of great bands for younger people that they can't catch in Huntsville though.

Regarding the west coast, San Diego is beautiful. Huntsville, IMO, can't compare with it in terms of the scenery, beaches, things to do, etc. My favorite part about San Diego was actually the sheer number of original restaurants and businesses. It beats the heck out of having a McDonalds/Burger King on every street corner.

But hardly any cities can compare with San Diego, and you have to make some really good $$ to live there. However, the other parts of California I visited just plain sucked from my experience. Especially around LA/Hollywood, a very trashy, congested area.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:15 PM

704 posts, read 936,073 times
To each his own:

From my view point San Diego is a very trashy, congested area as well. Full of crime and illegals. The beaches are are not so nice when compared to Florida, Guam, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico. Let's not mention how many days they are closed due to contamination from Tijuana sewage.

I enjoyed living here when I was young and single, but not so much now that I am older and have a family. Fly into San Diego and look out the window...ugly brown landscape. I've always found the green scenery of the South Eastern States to be one of the beautiful places in the world. I know of plenty to see and do only a short drive from Huntsville.

Food? Ok, I will miss In-N-Out Burger and Yoshinoya, but during my recent visit I ate at quite a few restaurants in Huntsville that can not be found on the West Coast.

I am counting the days...80 and SD will be in my rearview mirror.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:27 AM

159 posts, read 382,983 times
Yeah, I guess it depends on personal tastes. I was impressed with San Diego though for the week I was there. The traffic was on par with Huntsville during rush hour for my commutes to Liberty Station, which blew me away. And while the houses and building were definitely packed in, I was really impressed at how clean/organized it was kept.

Never been anywhere before where I can, within 30 minutes, cruise a highway beach view, cut through the mountains, and then hit up a busy downtown area in one quick commute. Loved Torrey Pines, La Jolla Cove, Seaport Village, Mission Beach, Mission Trails, Balboa Park, and all the authentic Mexican food was awesome too. Monte Sano is fun, but wow, the parks/trails in SD would take a year to fully explore.

I definitely like Huntsville, and it's way more affordable, but if someone bought me a house in SD I would take it!

So how about a house swap y8? haha

Old 05-13-2012, 07:46 AM

426 posts, read 558,855 times
i like Huntsville-Guntersville area - very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area