U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:49 AM

224 posts, read 317,759 times

Advertisements

It might be worth consulting a lawyer. It might be legal for you to have the vine taken out in order to repair your fence but I would make sure you know for sure.

If your fence is being ruined and she is not being reasonable then it is time for the vine to go and the fence to be repaired. That will take care of the problem permanently.

Of course she would probably just plant another one to tick you off
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 08:41 AM

3,298 posts, read 5,637,081 times
The fence is legally your property, and she does not have the rights under property laws to use that fence to grow anything without your permission. Sounds like she is using your fence to grow a trailing plant (doesn't wisteria need something to grow up/on?). I would go ahead and repair the fence and if it takes down that vine that has encroached on your property....so be it.

Sad that people just can't be nice and neighborly anymore She sounds like someone who just likes to cause problems, rather than simply just being nice and agreeable about things.

I would take the crap she is throwing in your yard and throw it over the fence into her yard You could also have an attorney draw up a cease and desist, if you think that it has gotten out of control. Have it sent to her certified mail.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:47 AM

17,939 posts, read 3,646,966 times
Start with sending a factual letter certified/return receipt.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:51 AM

4,740 posts, read 9,544,558 times
Your yard, your fence. You've informed your neighbor that you intend to repair the fence. Consider bending over backwards to explain to your neighbor that the wisteria is toxic to your dog, that your fence is on your property, and that you're trying to be a good neighbor - if you have ideas for non-toxic plantings, share them with your neighbor to get her opinion. Personally, I don't like anything growing in my fence.

When you take out the wisteria, consider keeping a video camera handy in case your obscenity-screaming neighbor decides to voice her displeasure, however I would retreat (even from my own yard into my house, while filming) if she gets violent. Some people don't like to be filmed and that may trigger a bad response - however if you live through it then you have something to show the cops.

The wisteria will require some work to remove: cut the vines into manageable pieces down to the stump; either dig up the stump or 'paint' the exposed stump with Round Up, dispose of the yard waste IAW city / county procedures.

Good fences make good neighbors...

Old 04-16-2012, 09:08 AM

118 posts, read 243,608 times
Lawyer over a plant? To think people call us in the Pacific Northwest passive aggressive. glyphosate (round up) will kill it but using a ground sterilizer will be more effective at preventing that terrorist neighbor of yours from planting a new vine. Try monoborcholorate or powerline by arsenal. I do think that you are over reacting and that if you're to lazy to pick up the wisteria before your dog eats it then you really have no business owning a dog.

Last edited by NorthwestRepublic; 04-16-2012 at 09:19 AM..

Old 04-16-2012, 09:12 AM

18,122 posts, read 37,059,449 times
Wisteria will laugh at glyphosate. You need some brush/vine killer with triclopyr, it'll be brown and crispy in one week.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:14 AM

28,900 posts, read 50,212,169 times
Fling your dog's droppings into her yard. That should extend the circle of love.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:31 AM

20,684 posts, read 61,869,640 times
Where does your dog go to the bathroom??? Just curious, since her actions seem extreme. I'd probably just toss the stuff back over the fence. Good exercise.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:48 AM

3,013 posts, read 3,937,797 times
Oh good god people. These replies are the exact reason I can't stand to live in a subdivision/neighborhood. Get a lawyer just because she is throwing the pieces or over or maybe she is trimming the tops and they are simply falling over the fence? Roundup the vines, kill them and **** your neighbor off? Really people?

How about you simply act like a grown up and walk over to your neighbour's and say "Hey if you don't mind, please do not throw or try not to drop your vine clippings into my yard."

Old 04-16-2012, 09:58 AM

1,643 posts, read 2,749,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
How about you simply act like a grown up and walk over to your neighbour's and say "Hey if you don't mind, please do not throw or try not to drop your vine clippings into my yard."
Guess you didn't read what the original poster said, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area