Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 07:53 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times

Advertisements

And not so comforting to know that it was announced on the news this week that the 3rd highest cause of death is medical error. And... anyone who has worked in a hospital or other healthcare facility KNOWS that there is more than is reported so in reality.. it's probably #2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 10:22 AM

11 posts, read 15,685 times
I had to go to HH last weekend for a broken clavicle. They scheduled surgery for the next day. I had excellent treatment. I had to wait in Madison Hospital ER for about 4 hours before getting sent to HH.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:33 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronically anonymous View Post
When I went to hh AFTER my doctor sent me there and called to tell them I needed asap fluids, I waited 12 hours. I'm diabetic, and my sugar was very high. I would've been able to just do it at home except my fluids at the time were KCl, not NS. Also, my sugar can drop very quickly after the bolus. You can't bring a blanket or pillow because of lice/bed bugs. They will tell you it's a fire hazard though. ALSO, even though I'm on 24hr tpn, came with my port accessed, they still said it was "hospital policy" to deaccess. Uh, no it's not. Not in IR, on the floor, peds er..... She said that "it's iv alopement and you can't leave with a line. If anything happens it's on my license" That is true, the hospital would make her the scape goat. BUT my response was, "if I get an infection because you opened the dressing when it didn't need to be open and making me get reaccessed the second I get home, would THAT go on your license?" Erg. Would you pull a picc? Or a Hickman? No. So don't deaccess my port. My white count is low enough as is, I don't need to be opening a sterile dressing when it's unnecessary. Plus, the line is in my chest. The needle just connects it. Even with home health calling them they wouldn't let it go. I loved the peds er, but will never go to the adult side again.

Also just a psa: coming by ambo or saying chest/breathing difficulties doesn't necessarily get you through triage. Last time I was in er there was a girl who came by ambulance but they took her to the waiting room. And hh checks your ekg (though not echo) in the waiting room. A lady was mad as hell the last time I was there because she told them she had chest pain (she really just wanted back faster). And once you get there if you change symptoms they get irritated big time.

Crestwood is incompetent. As the doctor said to me, "we do heart attacks and broken bones. We don't do boo boos." I ended up having pneumonia and was admitted to Huntsville hospital. I have no spleen and am on immunosuppressants that had to be stopped from my transplant years ago. I HATE HEALTHCARE.
And supposedly, this is the best healthcare in the world.

Seems doubtful.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:54 AM

169 posts, read 206,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
And supposedly, this is the best healthcare in the world.

Seems doubtful.
It's definitely not the best, but it is the most expensive:

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall, 2014 Update: How the U.S. Health Care System Compares Internationally - The Commonwealth Fund

Old 02-04-2019, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 642 times
The wait times at Huntsville Hospital are absolutely ridiculous. 8-12hrs to wait to be seen.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:07 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,987,200 times
Old thread, but one of my kids was born at HH, I always thought it was very good, compared to some other places I've been.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:24 AM

3 posts, read 2,335 times
Maybe try the other hospital. Crestwood Medical Center. It's a smaller hospital, but quite adequate.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:58 AM

125 posts, read 165,739 times
The only issue I have with HH is their billing department. They keep screwing up my insurance and contact info anytime I have to have lab work done. I call them to give them the correct info so a claim can be filed and so they have a way to contact me if something goes wrong but they still manage to screw it up every time.. They pass the bill to collections where they have no issues finding a way to contact me and it's usually over a stupid amount like $20.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:51 AM

294 posts, read 235,760 times
Madison Hospital is another choice, we walked in once last year on a Saturday afternoon, and were taken back within a few minutes.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:07 AM

283 posts, read 408,865 times
[quote=ineedareed;24324272]for my wife. Holy cow, what a dump! My wife was taken in an ambulance (she's fine btw) and I showed up afterwards. I've never seen a metal detector in a hospital before! And cops were everywhere! This one place near the gift shop had double doors marked "emergency exit only" through which the patients and staff went to smoke... how trashy.

No real point to this post, just sharing some observations. [/Q

I know what you mean, yrs ago I was there in the waiting room and a man drove up into the parking area in front of the doors and shot and killed his girlfriend while she was still in the car and then ran from the hospital. I do not know if he was ever caught. I do believe that is when it became a search and seizure place. it is a wonderful place when it comes to the doctors and nurses for major illnesses. I've had several operations and stays there and it's a top hospital in the state. If you want a really sweet and quiet and pleasant stay and treatment that you will never forget come to Madison. I never go to Huntsville unless they transfer me for treatment that they can't handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area