Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2023, 09:02 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJunior View Post
Gibson's Barbeque was said to be good, but they had a fire and have yet to rebuild.

Boarhog on Hwy 72 East is supposed to be very good. Lines are long on Sundays--the only Q restaurant open that day.

I tried ChuckWagon on 72 @ Wall-Triana in Madison, but the meat was cooked too long--mushy.

In Ardmore, you've always got the original Whitts Barbeque. Their pork shoulder is first class, but the slaw and beans are terrible. Rick's Barbeque out of Leoma, TN now has a bunch of locations (out of Huntsville) and they're doing a good job.

Big Bob Gibson in Decatur is the premier barbecue restaurant within 50 miles. Chris Lilly is as good as they come, and he certainly knows how to run a restaurant.

I lived in Memphis 18 years, but some the great barbecue places there have either burned or closed down. Many of the owners, including Nick at the Rendezvous, have died over the years.

My standards remain high in Q. Unfortunately the pork being produced is the new white meat and it has very little fat to produce good smoke. And just about all the big barbeque restaurants are now using natural gas/hybrid cookers that just use a couple of pieces of wood for smoke. They now start on timers and cook in 8 hours what used to take 14 hours with a pitmaster staying up all night.
Mary's Pit BBQ is usually open on Sundays. Great sides as well.

Boarhog's is using the gas cookers as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2023, 02:26 PM

537 posts, read 443,275 times
We had barbeque tonight from a new BBQ place--in Israel.

It was great if you like beef ribs, chopped up brisket--and mutton. Had rice with a yogurt sauce instead of beans. And it came with Pita Bread with hummus and some strange spices.

Not bad for a change. But give me good old pork shoulder sandwich with a mustard slaw and thick tomato type sauce any day.

Old 03-14-2023, 03:23 PM

12,958 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJunior View Post
Gibson's Barbeque was said to be good, but they had a fire and have yet to rebuild.

Boarhog on Hwy 72 East is supposed to be very good. Lines are long on Sundays--the only Q restaurant open that day.

I tried ChuckWagon on 72 @ Wall-Triana in Madison, but the meat was cooked too long--mushy.

In Ardmore, you've always got the original Whitts Barbeque. Their pork shoulder is first class, but the slaw and beans are terrible. Rick's Barbeque out of Leoma, TN now has a bunch of locations (out of Huntsville) and they're doing a good job.

Big Bob Gibson in Decatur is the premier barbecue restaurant within 50 miles. Chris Lilly is as good as they come, and he certainly knows how to run a restaurant.

I lived in Memphis 18 years, but some the great barbecue places there have either burned or closed down. Many of the owners, including Nick at the Rendezvous, have died over the years.

My standards remain high in Q. Unfortunately the pork being produced is the new white meat and it has very little fat to produce good smoke. And just about all the big barbeque restaurants are now using natural gas/hybrid cookers that just use a couple of pieces of wood for smoke. They now start on timers and cook in 8 hours what used to take 14 hours with a pitmaster staying up all night.
Well, it used to be. We stopped there yesterday around 5:30-6:00. Service was very slow, presumably since it's hard to find workers nowadays. Barbecue itself was pretty much flavorless. Got a side of fries and they were pretty good, but they don't have hush puppies, a staple of barbeque places (not sure if they ever had them) - just off-the-shelf rolls. Overall, it wasn't very good and nowhere near as good as it has been in the past.

Old 04-15-2024, 11:39 AM

703 posts, read 934,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_native View Post
I now drive to Corner Pit BBQ in TN at exit 6 (about 3 miles off I-65 to the east). Only open select days, it's best to follow their FB page.
Thank you very much for the recommendation.

I visited the Corner Pit BBQ in Bryson, TN (Dellrose) this weekend and the brisket, pulled pork, and ribs were delicious. It is definitely some of the best BBQ I have had in the Huntsville area.

I would say it is worth the drive and I will definitely be going go back.

Old 04-15-2024, 12:47 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,574,422 times
Highly anticipated Blue Oak BBQ opens next week at Mid City.
https://blueoakbbq.com/

Old 04-15-2024, 09:57 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,591,294 times
What about the Corner Pit BBQ that opened last year in Ardmore, TN? The building used to have a Whitts Barbecue.

Corner Pit BBQ
26061 Main St, Ardmore, TN 38449

Corner Pit BBQ Ardmore: A Convenient Drive Thru

Old 04-16-2024, 08:29 AM

108 posts, read 94,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
What about the Corner Pit BBQ that opened last year in Ardmore, TN? The building used to have a Whitts Barbecue.

Corner Pit BBQ
26061 Main St, Ardmore, TN 38449

Corner Pit BBQ Ardmore: A Convenient Drive Thru
To my knowledge they haven't kept it open continuously. Some times it's open, some times it's not open. Probably 10 miles to the one in Dellrose from there, but it's frustrating to not keep the posted hours.

Old 04-16-2024, 11:44 AM

703 posts, read 934,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_native View Post
To my knowledge they haven't kept it open continuously. Some times it's open, some times it's not open. Probably 10 miles to the one in Dellrose from there, but it's frustrating to not keep the posted hours.
That would explain the difference in their ratings on Google.

I also recently received a recommendation for 431 BBQ in Fayetteville.

Old 04-16-2024, 01:15 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,095,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Highly anticipated Blue Oak BBQ opens next week at Mid City.
https://blueoakbbq.com/

Curious how they do. They were on a Jolly Youtube video and the food looked amazing.

Old 04-17-2024, 12:02 PM

108 posts, read 94,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y8tiger View Post
That would explain the difference in their ratings on Google.

I also recently received a recommendation for 431 BBQ in Fayetteville.
The owners should not try to justify the size of their potatoes, grocery costs, etc in a response to a review. This doesn't show the owners in a good light IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area