Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 11:58 AM

14 posts, read 28,999 times

Advertisements

I'm new here and looking for INDOOR things to do with my 2.5 year old daughter during the day. It's much too hot for a park, plus most of the equipment is geared toward older kids and she can't use it. We've been to both malls' play areas. I'm aware of Early Works, but it's a little on the expensive side for us. Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 12:13 PM

468 posts, read 907,254 times
Go to Early Works in HSV.

They charge admissions - but what we did is get an annual family pass - which allowed us unlimited admissions to this place PLUS free admissions to all affiliated children's museums nationwide such as the one in Atlanta and Chattanooga.

The one in Chattanooga is very good.
Creative Discovery Museum | Chattanooga TN | Kids Attractions

Old 07-20-2012, 12:30 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,789,281 times
Kidventure (You can get a month membership, rather than annual, which might be an economical option for you.) Or just get a 6 visit pass - $6 per visit. (There is no charge for adults.)

Check Huntsville Library for preschool activity and story time activities. Different branches have different activities, too.

Many movie theaters run free children's movies on Tuesdays and/or Wednesdays - the Rave in Jones Valley and the Monaco at Bridge Street, at least.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:21 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,126,163 times
I don't have toddlers but keep my eye out for ideas when the grandkids are visiting... how about swimming at the natatorium? I don't know how good it is there or anything but someone else might have some info on it. City of Huntsville, Alabama *** Huntsville *** Alabama *** HuntsvilleAL.gov I thought about the pool at the Y but, the once very affordable family place is no longer that.. it's like 75.00 per month to go.
Like zenjenn said, the library usually has a lot of programs for little ones.

There is the Little Gym. Parent/Child Classes - The Little Gym teaches gymnastics to young kids to enhance infant and toddler strength and flexibility. I have no idea how much it cost and the fact that they omit that information from their website makes me think that it might be high but, they do have a thing on their web page for a free introductory class. My daughter has taken each one of her kids to something like this where she lives (out of state) but it cost next to nothing there. Worth a phone call though.

Chuck-e-cheese .. at that age, it doesn't cost much.. they just like to run around and touch stuff or sit in the little cars, etc. Or just a few tokens and they can ride in the cars.

A 2 yr old would like Harmony Park Safari ... my 18 month old grandson was there last month and LOVED it.
Harmony Park Safari - Wild Animal Preserve - Part I
Not free but not expensive either.

Unfortunately, there is limited indoor activity centers for toddlers. May just have to make the most of playing at home much of the time.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:41 PM

230 posts, read 388,180 times
Definitely The Rat (Chuck E. Cheese)...just let 'em run around with wild abandon. That's what it's there for. Relax, have some mediocre pizza, and give in to the kidanarchy.

It's not inside, but guaranteed to keep the youngsters cool...the fountain at Bridge Street. Throw on the bathing suit and let 'em get wet. Kids love it.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:56 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,789,281 times
Frankly I think Chuck E Cheese is of limited amusement to super young kids. They just blow through tokens like water and then whine to go home.

Seriously, Kidventure is better for that age, less chaotic, provided supervision, and wi-fi and coffee for mom.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
Frankly I think Chuck E Cheese is of limited amusement to super young kids. They just blow through tokens like water and then whine to go home.

Seriously, Kidventure is better for that age, less chaotic, provided supervision, and wi-fi and coffee for mom.

Kidventure is definitely optimal but my nearly 2 yr old grandson LOVES running around chuckee's without a single token. He loves all the sounds, lights and just sitting in the rides. Merely another option.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:32 PM

40 posts, read 130,455 times
We love KidVenture. Admission is a little on the expensive side in my opinion. But if you join their email list, you can find out about coupons and 1/2 price days. I never go without a discount of some sort.

There's Jump To It Clubhouse on Hughes Rd, and another jump place on County Line Rd.

Even though it is outside, we enjoy going to Botanical Gardens in the mornings. We go from 9-11 so we leave before it gets too hot.

Check out Rocket City Mom on Facebook or her website for other ideas.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:12 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
three words

very. large. box.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-20-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
three words

very. large. box.

20yrsinBranson
haha... how very true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area