U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 11:22 PM

36 posts, read 49,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
The City of Huntsville declared a yard on the corner of Pratt Avenue and Grayson St to be a nuisance, based on 37 neighbor complaints and code enforcement inspections.

Nature or nuisance? City orders Five Points resident to tame yard he cultivated for privacy | al.com

Overgrown Five Points yard gets temporary reprieve from judge | al.com

IMO telling someone what kind of plants they can have in their yard is just wrong. I hope that Hessler prevails in court, but I'm disappointed that he even has to try.

I drive by this house almost every day - I would make different landscaping choices, but the yard is clean - no garbage, no 'yard art', no fuss. What I find infuriating is that Hessler is following guidance provided by the City itself (e.g., Green Team says "Use less water").
Sorry, but I would have to vote on "Overgrown". In the photos the house looks like it was abandoned long ago and the structure was not getting any light which could lead to mold and mildew growth. Good for the City of Huntsville community development department for cleaning it up, that place looked awful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 11:45 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,548,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FayettevilletoHuntsville View Post
It could be a health and safety issue for the neighbors though, not just the resident of the overgrown property. What if the rats went in the neighbors yard?
There goes your spotless yard that no wild animal has ever walked through ever. That totally justifies it.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
You act like she was made homeless. I am sure HR was called in and somebody made sure she had a place to live. She apparently was not capable of taking care of herself.
Which totally ignores the fact that she had been doing just that.

Quote:
I was not involved in what happened but I am sure I would have called someone if I had found out how she was living. Supposed I knew about her living conditions and she died of her living conditions or froze to death. I would have had a lot of guilt because of that. Could you have lived with doing nothing if you knew?
I hope I would have offered to help. I wouldn't have tried to get her home taken away and then just sort of hope she was thrown on the mercy of the government after I had made her homeless.

Quote:
BTW, nobody called anyone until after her deplorable conditions were known. The caller apparently showed a lot of compassion to do something about it.
The caller trespassed and then forced interference the resident had never asked for on her because her way of life wasn't adequate. If she wanted the government to come take her house she could have asked them to do it anytime.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:47 AM

36 posts, read 49,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Which totally ignores the fact that she had been doing just that.

I hope I would have offered to help. I wouldn't have tried to get her home taken away and then just sort of hope she was thrown on the mercy of the government after I had made her homeless.

The caller trespassed and then forced interference the resident had never asked for on her because her way of life wasn't adequate. If she wanted the government to come take her house she could have asked them to do it anytime.
I personally think that in this case the homeowner himself could use a trim.
Overgrown Five Points yard gets temporary reprieve from judge (Updated) | al.com

I do not care for that look on a man. I think he would find that his entire quality of life would improve if he learned the concept of "cutting and trimming".

Old 05-31-2014, 04:54 AM

3,298 posts, read 5,505,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post

We were trying to sell our house at the time and more than a few times the Realtor comments were "The people loved the house but had some concerns over the lack of yard maintenance from the neighbors. It makes the house look bad." We eventually pulled it from the market and kept it.

It can absolutely affect property values and the neighbors that have to see it every day. We don't care that they don't fix up their flowerbeds or trim their bushes around the house, but cutting the grass every 2 weeks or so and keeping their bushes on their property would surely be nice. He has every right to let it grow up into a complete jungle but if he wants to live in the woods, it seems that he would be better off moving out of a neighborhood.

Said this time and time again in feedback, yet there is not much the seller can often times do about it.

Showed a house last week in the city limits with 5 PIT BULLS chained up to dog houses in the back yard barking their heads off....that was the one thing that kept my clients away from that house, otherwise they liked it. But who wants to live next to that? I wouldn't. Not to mention, all the dog poop really smelled, they must not pick their yard up.

So absolutely YES your neighbors can have a detrimental effect on the saleability of your property.

And this guy on Pratt CHOSE to live in the city limits.....which puts him under the codes and ordinances of the city. If he wanted to live his life that way he should move out to the county.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:38 AM

1,750 posts, read 1,838,293 times
no one is an island, what you do, how you live impacts someone else.
Usually lack of respect for people or laws and selfishness leads to most of these problems.
The guy was a lazy slob albeit a nice one. Probably enjoyed jerking everyone around.
Look at all the time and money wasted because he wouldn't do some simple yard maintenance.
Sadly the city will probably be back this time next year. Wonder what he's hiding?

Old 05-31-2014, 07:06 AM

13,893 posts, read 12,351,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deesonic View Post
. I pulled that house up on Google Earth and bottom line is dude needs to clean that Boo Radley mess up!
So did I. Look at the little box house directly across the street. Two spindly trees.

I'll take the Boo Radley mess any day.

Yes, it's a bit much, but his house, his property, his life. Let him be.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:09 AM

3,298 posts, read 5,505,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Yes, it's a bit much, but his house, his property, his life. Let him be.
When you choose to live inside a city limits this is not necessarily the case. If you have this mindset, live in the county with no zoning/restrictions. Its that simple. Its a free country, and he is free to move to where he can let his yard overgrow to his heart's desire, but city ordinances where he CHOSE to live prohibit him from that.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:53 PM

442 posts, read 567,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
There goes your spotless yard that no wild animal has ever walked through ever. That totally justifies it.
Yep, because I have my yard mowed every week and keep it clean and free of debris so no animals are going to make an actual "home" in my yard. This particular homeowner has created a "refuge" in his yard for wild animals and other vermin. He even stated that he wants to leave it the way it is because it attracts wildlife - that is part of the problem, he lives in a neighborhood of closely knit homes and animals and vermin that have made a home in his yard could go into the neighbors yard. What if a snake goes into the yard next door because he has created a home for it in that tangle and mess of wild vegetation?

If you read the ordinances on the City of Huntsville web site that I previously posted you will see that part of the reason the City of Huntsville has the tall grass and weed abatement ordinance in place is because of this.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FayettevilletoHuntsville View Post
Yep, because I have my yard mowed every week and keep it clean and free of debris so no animals are going to make an actual "home" in my yard. This particular homeowner has created a "refuge" in his yard for wild animals and other vermin. He even stated that he wants to leave it the way it is because it attracts wildlife - that is part of the problem, he lives in a neighborhood of closely knit homes and animals and vermin that have made a home in his yard could go into the neighbors yard. What if a snake goes into the yard next door because he has created a home for it in that tangle and mess of wild vegetation?

If you read the ordinances on the City of Huntsville web site that I previously posted you will see that part of the reason the City of Huntsville has the tall grass and weed abatement ordinance in place is because of this.
And again someone acting like snakes (or rats or whatever) are never going to move through your yard. Wild animals are going to go where they want outside for the most part. A tiny yard like you find in a city would be hard pressed to provide enough food to be a permanent home for many animals large enough for you to see them not matter how overgrown it gets, and even something takes up residence in an overgrown yard if you have conditions not conducive for it living on your land it won't. They may travel over your land, but that's already going on anyways even if you don't realize or notice it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area