Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 08:44 PM

182 posts, read 901,059 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Alabama Zenjenn! Glad to hear you made the trip okay. Having made a cross country move from socal once before I'm glad I shipped my stuff on a freight truck for the move to AL. All I had to contend with on the drive out here was a 70lb german shephard in a tiny 91 bmw vert, who by the way decided to thow up all over my console somewhere in Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
Tomorrow I get to visit the DMV. Joy.
Wow, you are much more on top of things than I am. I've lived here nearly 2 years now and I still have my CA drivers license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 09:30 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,819,739 times
I'm not sure what people's complaint is about the roads in Madison. I have lived in Madison since I moved to the area 9 years ago and except for some very bad construction when Old Madison Pike was widened 8 years ago I have never seen any problems. Of course I moved here from Houston so I have some frame of reference. If you decide to not move to Madison, no problem but please don't blame the roads/traffic. I have a friend who recently moved off Hobbs Rd in far south Huntsville. In going to her new place I saw far worse traffic than I have ever seen in Madison and the South Parkway is a disaster with construction which has been going on for about a year. I'm not sure how close it is to completion.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:59 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Welcome to Alabama!

Old 10-05-2007, 08:02 AM

763 posts, read 3,835,914 times
One other point about the long lines at DMV to get your driver's license.

The main reason he delay is substantial is Alabama is one of the few states that does a realtime criminal background check at the time someone is applying for or renewing a license.

Over 10,000 people have been arrested on the spot in the past 2 years at DMV locations because of the usage of this technology. I read in the Birmingham paper that a man was arrested two weeks ago for a murder in New York in 1981, when he applied for a drivers license. This background check, while it is done in realtime, checks a variety of national databases to see if the applicant has any arrest warrants outstanding etc.

I DO agree though it is very very frustrating. BRING a BOOK with you and be prepared to finish much of it before your time comes to stand in front of the blue screen for your photo.

And follow Harry's instructions on the paperwork to the letter.....they are extremely strict about this.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:29 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,782,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
On the driver's license- You need a state certified copy of your birth certificate. The ones given by the hospitals WILL NOT be enough. You also need your social security card (not a duplicate or other indication of your number). You can also bring your out-of-state driver's license for them to put little holes in and hand back to you.

Don't even bother going if you don't have this stuff. When they take your picture, there will be a light blue background. Wear something flattering. Even though the bureaucracy is nuts, because the Patriot Act requires the hoops to jump through, the people are super nice. One of the women doing the final processing has a new dog, you can ask her for me how it is doing.

Oh yeah, thank Congress and W. for making the Patriot Act hoops UNFUNDED, meaning that the state is somehow supposed to magically find the money for extra people to do the checks. We had to go to the Huntsville DL place, because to get one from our own county would require being at the courthouse at 6:30 AM to wait in line and get a number, and then be told to come back later in the day. And Keeper, I think they fill out forms, not forums. In the news story on the lines, the folks at the DL place said they couldn't figure out when people would be crowding in, and when not. Being the first part of the month, things should be OK.

The goldfish story is too good. I didn't know goldfish migrated.

Welcome to the Great State of Alabama. Channel 19 has about the best weather and news. Get a weather radio that can give you alerts from one of the drugstores or supermarkets. Ask for a weatheralert radio and most folks will know what you mean.
I don't have a birth certificate, but my passport has always been accepted by government officials. Will the DMV there accept a passport in lieu of a birth certificate? Thanks.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:46 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
If you are 15, you'll need a birth certificate. Otherwise a valid (current) U.S. or foreign passport is listed as one of the primary documents.

D e p a r t m e n t o f P u b l i c S a f e t y T h e S t a t e o f A l a b a m a (http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:MijpiYSydmMJ:www.dps.state.al.us/public/driverlicense/manual/DriverManual.pdf+alabama+automobile+driver+license &hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us - broken link)

Old 10-06-2007, 01:30 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,253 times
'Glad you made it alright...I think we're going to be temporary neighbors.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:00 PM

232 posts, read 994,386 times
Welcome to Huntsville, ZenJenn. Glad it was a safe trip, fish and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area