Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 02:02 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,789,744 times

Advertisements

Well we made it safe and sound. What a run, driving from California to Alabama with 2 kids under 5 and a vanload of clothes and necessities for 2-3 months of living.

I'm sure I'll be floating around here with more questions about the area. For now I've begun to make myself extremely familiar with the local super Target.

Tomorrow I get to visit the DMV. Joy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 02:16 PM

7 posts, read 22,673 times
I've been following your progress with interest for awhile now. Congratulations on making it safely across the country. My husband and I are coming into Huntsville this weekend from Northern Virginia to look at the area. He has a job offer and we are trying to decide where to live. In which part of Huntsville did you settle? We are looking at Madison or Hampton Cove area. Good luck in the future.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:30 PM

410 posts, read 1,653,685 times
Congrats! My trip from California included a mom, dog, cat, fish and corals, a trailer behind the truck and an interstate-closing snowstorm. That's almost as bad as two little kids!

Welcome to Huntsville. I think you'll like it here. I have my beefs about the area and it is certainly sleepier than I'm used to, but it's a nice city.

Canuck01, enjoy your visit. It'll be a bit warmer than normal for October this weekend, but bring your umbrella - we may get some rain.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:56 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,789,744 times
Thanks! Actually we had a fish with us too. I thought it was the craziest stinkin' thing to take a FISH on a 2000 mile drive, but my daughter wouldn't hear of leaving her beloved pet with Nana. We found a little container for her that fit perfectly in a cup holder, and fortunately Goldie made the trip in good health. Goldie is probably one of the only goldfish alive to boast such a trip and a stay in 5 different hotel rooms.

Canuk, right now we are in an apartment in southeast Huntsville. We havn't decided where we'll buy a house yet for sure, but it'll be either Southeast Huntsville or Hampton Cove. Madison doesn't make much sense for us given where my husband's work is located, since we've heard the roads out of there are terrible. If you are working in the research park it seems to make sense to consider there.

I'm glad to hear this is warmer than normal for October because I was thinking it seemed hotter than I expected (though still quite tolerable, IMO.)

Old 10-04-2007, 03:11 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Welcome, welcome zenjenn! So glad y'all made it OK, including fishy! Did you get to do a bit of sightseeing on the way?
Be sure to call before you go to get your driver's license and find out what you need to get it. Birth certificate, I think for a start. There have been monster lines for driver's licenses thanks to the new identity requirements. In fact, I wouldn't worry about it for at least a week!

Old 10-04-2007, 03:32 PM

7 posts, read 22,673 times
What do you mean, "the roads are terrible?" Does that refer to congestion? By the way, does anyone know about this Bridge Street Town Center they're building in the Research Park? Thanks.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:19 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Welcome Welcome to AL.
You have 30 days to get your license. You just have to take an eye test and fill out forums. I think I had to have my birth certificate along with my old DL. I would call to find the best time as I have heard there can be long lines in Madison county
I didn't come nearly as far as you but I had 3 dogs and 3 cats in my little SUV. Made it with no problem until I was about 30 minutes from Arab when one of my dogs got car sick..

Old 10-04-2007, 06:25 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
On the driver's license- You need a state certified copy of your birth certificate. The ones given by the hospitals WILL NOT be enough. You also need your social security card (not a duplicate or other indication of your number). You can also bring your out-of-state driver's license for them to put little holes in and hand back to you.

Don't even bother going if you don't have this stuff. When they take your picture, there will be a light blue background. Wear something flattering. Even though the bureaucracy is nuts, because the Patriot Act requires the hoops to jump through, the people are super nice. One of the women doing the final processing has a new dog, you can ask her for me how it is doing.

Oh yeah, thank Congress and W. for making the Patriot Act hoops UNFUNDED, meaning that the state is somehow supposed to magically find the money for extra people to do the checks. We had to go to the Huntsville DL place, because to get one from our own county would require being at the courthouse at 6:30 AM to wait in line and get a number, and then be told to come back later in the day. And Keeper, I think they fill out forms, not forums. In the news story on the lines, the folks at the DL place said they couldn't figure out when people would be crowding in, and when not. Being the first part of the month, things should be OK.

The goldfish story is too good. I didn't know goldfish migrated.

Welcome to the Great State of Alabama. Channel 19 has about the best weather and news. Get a weather radio that can give you alerts from one of the drugstores or supermarkets. Ask for a weatheralert radio and most folks will know what you mean.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:30 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Yeah, you will want to have a weather radio. They are around $30.00 you don't need to spend more than that.
You mean everything isn't forums??? Too much moderating

Old 10-04-2007, 08:13 PM

24 posts, read 159,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck01 View Post
What do you mean, "the roads are terrible?" Does that refer to congestion? By the way, does anyone know about this Bridge Street Town Center they're building in the Research Park? Thanks.
Check their website out:
Huntsville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area