Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 07:24 PM

26 posts, read 46,611 times

Advertisements

I have lived in a small town (15,000 people) in Northwestern Pennsylvania for over 40 years and might be moving to Huntsville Alabama. Has anyone on these forums ever done this before and how did you make out in the transition? Are you happy or do you feel you made a big mistake? Any input would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 10:18 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Just drive toward Tennessee Amish country when you start feeling homesick.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:25 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,125,092 times
I moved to Huntsville from a town of 10,000 in western Ct. back in the mid 70s. Back then it was a different thing. There weren't nearly as many transplants then as now. For me, as a 19 yr old at the time it was extreme culture shock (yeah, giving away my age somewhat). You won't have that same thing nowadays. Huntsville isn't really like most of the cities that you would be more accustomed to. In a way, it's more like a huge city suburb compared to Philly or St. Paul or NY.
It has definitely grown over the years and there are a few particular areas that are more reminiscent of a northern city, but it's generally a more sprawling area. It would definitely be difficult to get by well in Huntsville without a car unlike a lot of large cities although, it could be done if you were strategically placed and didn't need a lot that required getting to the other end of town.
There are many more people from the north and the west coast here now than back when I arrived so it's much more of a melting pot than it had been (but not near as much as some of the larger cities elsewhere).
You really won't have much of a problem except possibly learning to understand the southern accents and idioms of the cornbread raised and cornbread fed. And the heat and humidity in the summer. I, personally have never have adapted to that.

I can't say that I've ever run into anyone that moved here from elsewhere that thought they made a mistake.
I don't think you'll have a problem.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:33 AM

140 posts, read 295,225 times
Im originally from Montreal, Canada and have found Huntsville to be an ok city. You MUST have a car with air conditioning!!! I have visited many other cities in Alabama and found Huntsville to be the most "northern" like city in this state.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:58 PM

68 posts, read 115,703 times
We moved here from Pittsburgh in January. I like it so far. I had been here many times over the last few years because my husband grew up in Huntsville. I like the weather as I have become increasingly intolerant to cold weather as I get older. The winters in western PA are just so bitter and LONG. Although the 105 degree days in July were a bit much. I get freaked out when the tornado sirens go off. Being from PA, I don't know if I will ever get used to that. We thought that people in Pittsburgh were very friendly when we moved there after being in DC for over 13 years. But I think that the people here are even nicer. Everyone says HI to use when we are outside playing with our kids, taking a walk, etc. I think that you will find that the political atmosphere is a bit more conservative here, at least compared to Pittsburgh. I am not trying to start a political debate, just an observation. I like the fact that taxes are much less here. I have lived a lot of places (in the US) and I have not found an area with a higher total tax burden than western PA. It is very nice to drive and not risk a wreck or major damage to your car while avoiding potholes.

I love my 15 minute commute to work. I have to laugh a little when I hear complaints about traffic, but I had a 50 mile round trip commute in Pittsburgh and I lived in DC so long.

Overall, our transition went well. I like the school and preschool my kids attend (we are in south Huntsville). I was worried about my 4 year old but he has done very well. We did have an existing network of friends because my husband still knows many people in the area and his family is here.

I realize that I am rambling. Feel free to ask me more questions if you would like some more specific info.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:27 PM

130 posts, read 251,833 times
Kel-in-pa,

Fellow Pa resident here but Northeastern. Surprised about the tax burden you mentioned in Pittsburgh as people rave about living there. Pa as you implied is a blue state i dont fit in i am more conservative and would rather go Bass fishing than go to Philly or NYC.

Ok enough rambling but would you say you like Huntsville more? Is the food comparable? Quality of schools? I too have had it with the colder northeast. Do you find as much to do in Huntsville as the Burgh?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:37 PM

68 posts, read 115,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new-era View Post
Kel-in-pa,

Fellow Pa resident here but Northeastern. Surprised about the tax burden you mentioned in Pittsburgh as people rave about living there. Pa as you implied is a blue state i dont fit in i am more conservative and would rather go Bass fishing than go to Philly or NYC.

Ok enough rambling but would you say you like Huntsville more? Is the food comparable? Quality of schools? I too have had it with the colder northeast. Do you find as much to do in Huntsville as the Burgh?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
I think that people rave about living in Pittsburgh because it is a larger city (somewhat) but still has a small-town feel. The people are very friendly compared to other northern cities. I would not say I like it better here, simply because I grew up in Pittsburgh and all my family is there. It was difficult to move. I lost my job so we decided to come here to be near mu husband's family. I really like my son's school, I think it is comparable to the schools in PA. And we were in a good school district in PA. I like the fact that they have all day kindergarten here, they did not offer that in PA. My husband and I also lean more to the conservative side, the atmosphere here suits us.

We are a couple in our mid and late 40s with two small children (4 and 6). Honestly, we don't go out much or have much of a social life. We rarely eat out, mostly because I did not have a job until recently. So I can't comment much on the food. Pittsburgh did seem to have a bunch of restaurants. Pretty much any national chain you can think of and a lot of international offerings. Socially, I think it may be more difficult if you are single. Some of our single friends often comment that it is hard to meet people (they are also in their mid to late 40s). I also like the fact that there were so many museums and other cultural activities in PA. I have not been here long enough to explore the Huntsville activities. The cost of living here is slightly less. There seems to be much less government regulation as compared to Western PA and the taxes are MUCH less. Our local (township) income tax return was harder to fill out that the Alabama state form, and we were actually audited by our locality.

I like it here because my husband is finally happy after dragging him through many northern cities, we are near my sons' grandma, and I am gainfully employed. The people here are wonderful, the cost of living is great, the government seems to stay out of your life much more than other places I have lived, and I really like the weather. I think it is a great place for my kids to grow up. I am confident that I will grow much more used to it is a while. Don't get me wrong, I do like it here. It was just hard to leave my home town. Plus, I can't watch my football or hockey team play without a satellite dish! That is pretty tough for someone born and raised in Pittsburgh!

Sorry this is so long, let me know if you would like any more info.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:50 AM

26 posts, read 46,611 times
thank you all for your input

Old 09-29-2012, 10:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,313 times
i'll moved from pa three years ago to huntsville. as i got a feel of the area it didn't feel like it was for me. four weeks ago i moved to chapel hill nc and i love it. i think the main reason i moved was because huntsville was not big enough. another reason i'll moved is because chapel hill feels like a new england town with southern weather, so i don't feel as home sick. huntsville is a wonderful town with nice people. goodluck and i hope that huntsville is right for you.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:57 AM

317 posts, read 576,387 times
good job anything is better than Pennsylvania, that state is like a whole other country with its own laws and culture, i hated PA everytime i drove through there or just to visit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area