Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 09:25 AM

5 posts, read 6,638 times

Advertisements

I looked at a house in CW this weekend. Can anybody that lives there tell me what you like/don't like. Our son is in college and doesn't live with us anymore so it's just empty nesters and our furry children. I teach in Madison but I'm commuting each day. I don't want to live close to my students so CW has a lot of things we want. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 11:35 AM

445 posts, read 770,768 times
I dont live there but am very familiar with it. There are unfortunately some trashy looking people and houses in there....i.e. houses painted purple and the like, cars on blocks in the yard etc. The plus side would be the greenway and the general location.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:01 PM

19 posts, read 40,853 times
We have been renting here a few months now and we really like it. Everyone I have met has been really nice, we rarely see anyone speeding through the neighborhood and it is conveniet to just about everything.

I haven't gotten a trashy vibe at all, but there is no HOA so some yard may be a little less kept or have boats, etc stored in them. I actually like the fact there is no HAO, so yards not beeing all perfect looking is a small price to pay for that as far as I am concerned.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:50 PM

152 posts, read 240,867 times
We used to live in CW. It's nice enough. As mentioned, there is no HOA (although there have been attempts to set one up), so whether that's a plus or minus is up to you. I'd imagine empty nesters and young professionals would like it. If you're looking to raise a family, there are more desirable areas.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:49 PM

224 posts, read 345,786 times
I live close by and go through the neighborhood often to go to the park. It seems decent enough but honestly, I would not be happy about the gas station being build outside the neighborhood. You might not care but if you ever wanted to sell the home others might shy away.

I live in Highland Lakes and there are a couple of good deals for smaller homes perfect for empty nesters on Harborview. Turn on Manitoba off of Slaughter road and make a right at the first stop sign. The homes are on the left and right soon after you turn.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:40 PM

483 posts, read 630,416 times
I think the price difference between homes in Highland Lakes and Creekwood is probably close to $200,000. You might get a home in CW for 150K but I don't think you can get a home in HL for less than 300K or so. If she/he teaches in Madison then HL would be Madison City Schools and they said they didn't want to see their students out of school.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:02 AM

224 posts, read 345,786 times
There are actually two homes under $300,000 but not any in the under $200,000 price range.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:13 AM

339 posts, read 628,830 times
My wife and I built our first home in CW in early 2001 (Iron Wood Ct) and sold it in 2009 to move to a larger house. We were very happy there and felt the neighborhood was nice and safe. We had some very nice neighbors - the three houses in a row on our street were all built at the same time by newlyweds, along with some widows. There are some definite trashy houses in the subdivision, but mostly in the older part (closer to Farrow or Slaughter). The further in you go towards the walking trail (either on the hill above it or towards the trail) the newer the homes and the better quality they are.

I had my car broken into once while I lived there, the night after I put a new stereo in the car in my driveway. Fairly certain it was the teenagers at the end of the street that were watching me - but they have long since moved on. We didn't have any real problems there and always felt safe walking around during the day or night.

I agree with the other posters - there is no HOA which is good and bad. You get the good of the lack of the HOA but you also get the bad. I don't think that the gas station will be a negative except for the people who are close to it - and I wouldn't recommend living in those sections of the subdivision. The houses were built worse (my brother in law owned one for a while). I wouldn't live where the traffic drives for the walking trail, but anywhere other than from either entrance to the walking trail would be where I would look.

Jake

Old 10-29-2012, 01:53 PM

329 posts, read 511,953 times
I had a friend who lived in there. LOTS of traffic because of the greenway.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:30 PM

11 posts, read 15,684 times
I've lived in Creekwood for 5 years and would definitely recommend it. The newer/nicer homes are in the northern end of the neighborhood. Traffic is heavier along Postwood and Harvestwood because of people going to the Greenway, but it's not too bad. The proximity to the greenway was the main thing that drew me here along with being very affordable for a first time home buyer. CW is very convenient to research park, the arsenal, Bridge Street, Super Target, Madison, and many restaurants/businesses along University drive. I've never experienced any problem with crime. The only problem I've had is my neighbor occasionally telling me to mow my grass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area