Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 07:10 PM

35 posts, read 66,837 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know when and where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 08:20 AM

11 posts, read 19,586 times
I heard it will be in the building being constructed on the corner of Cecil Ashborn & 431.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:39 AM

252 posts, read 321,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamjo View Post
Does anyone know when and where?
It opened last weekend. It is hard to find a time when not crowded. I went last night at 8:00 and had to park at the convenience store next door. Drive thru had 12 cars so I went inside... I should have waited in drive thru.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:16 PM

396 posts, read 664,849 times
Now Hampton Cove needs a Starbucks and Barnes & Noble. The population base supports businesses on that side of the mountain.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:24 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,206,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denofhc View Post
Now Hampton Cove needs a Starbucks and Barnes & Noble. The population base supports businesses on that side of the mountain.
There is a B&N in Jones Valley...no way in hell a city the size of Huntsville could support 2 B&N stores so close to each other (and a 3rd store 10 miles away at Bridge Street). Bookstores in large metro stores are barely surviving as it is...

Old 06-22-2013, 05:38 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,838,177 times
Book stores are on their way to demise. They are either going to have to find a new direction to draw in customers or they will dwindle. It is so easy to simply go online to Amazon and buy an ebook and start reading immediately without leaving the house or buy the book for $6 that would cost you $15 in the book store. The only time I ever go in a book store now is when I want to look through a book and decide whether or not to order it online. If they could find a way to capture business from me while I am in their "previewing" books, they might would have something. I guess that is what the in house coffee shops are for but I don't drink coffee and if I did there is no way in hell I would pay $6.00 for a cup of it. Replace the coffee shop with a bar and you would have something. lol

Old 06-22-2013, 09:13 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,788,834 times
Quote:
The only time I ever go in a book store now is when I want to look through a book and decide whether or not to order it online.
I honestly think this is tantamount to stealing. Please, reconsider this practice. If you utilize the advantages of a brick-and-mortar business, it should be with the intention of at least potentially giving that brick-and-mortar business your patronage. I'm a big believer in capitalism and all that, but to walk into a business to handle and examine a product with the complete intention of buying it from a vendor who can provide a lower price but not the opportunity to handle and examine the product is just not ethical, IMO. I'm not maligning your character - I think a lot of people do this kind of thing and do not consider the consequences, because it's a rather new dynamic in doing business.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:33 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,838,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
I honestly think this is tantamount to stealing. Please, reconsider this practice. If you utilize the advantages of a brick-and-mortar business, it should be with the intention of at least potentially giving that brick-and-mortar business your patronage. I'm a big believer in capitalism and all that, but to walk into a business to handle and examine a product with the complete intention of buying it from a vendor who can provide a lower price but not the opportunity to handle and examine the product is just not ethical, IMO. I'm not maligning your character - I think a lot of people do this kind of thing and do not consider the consequences, because it's a rather new dynamic in doing business.
I completely disagree with you. This is the new age form of comparison shopping. It is absolutely no different than you going to two competing stores and looking at items, handling them and going to the next store looking for a better price other than the fact I can't go to Amazon and handle the item. You have probably done that with books by looking at one at Barnes and Noble and then going to Books A Million. To be honest, I actually haven't stepped foot in a book store in at least 3 or 4 years now because you can now look at samples of the contents of most books online for free before deciding whether or not to purchase. Heck, I know college students that have gotten their citations for research papers from online sample content for free, cited it and never bought or physically had the book.

I don't know if you realize it or not but almost everyone does this now or at least a significant percentage under the age of 50 and almost everyone under the age of 30. We all have the bar code scanner apps on our smartphones that scan the barcode and automatically pull up the best prices online. I have purchased items online in a matter of seconds while standing in a store with the item in my hand. I admit it and I am not ashamed of it. The retailers noticed this trend a few years ago and now have employees that use the apps on their products for price comparison. Home depot even installed free wifi in their stores for you to use to do comparison shopping while in their store. They have embraced the technology and encourage its use. Guess what, their prices are usually in line and I end up making the purchase there. That is an example of a retailer adjusting to changing market conditions and as I mentioned, the book stores are going to have to find a way to adjust or they will be out of business.

What I consider stealing and unethical is those that go to the bookstores and stand or sit there and read an entire magazine or read a couple of chapters in a book each time they visit and then put it back on the shelf like they are in a library.

Last edited by dijkstra; 06-22-2013 at 12:51 PM..

Old 06-22-2013, 12:47 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,206,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I completely disagree with you. This is the new age form of comparison shopping. It is absolutely no different than you going to two competing stores and looking at items, handling them and going to the next store looking for a better price. You have probably done that with books by looking at one at Barnes and Noble and then going to Books A Million.
Yup, comparision shopping is nothing new or unethical. You will also notice a lot more B&M stores matching online prices. Best Buy and Target B&M will match Amazon prices without question...

Old 06-22-2013, 01:59 PM

396 posts, read 664,849 times
I love B&N as well as Books-a-Million but I do fear for their futures. If and when they go, we will have lost something valuable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area