U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2013, 12:29 PM

35 posts, read 69,121 times

Advertisements

Hey there. Last discussion i could find was in 08 and was very short. We are looking at a place that will be zoned for WME (looking at a lot actually)

When we were down with the realtor she really focused on the Heritage and mill creek zones, but we didn't even touch the WM area. I looked at the other sites like great schools and such and West Madison does seem marginally lower in terms of scores and such, but there is more to it than scores (also, I have found the comments on great schools particularly to be very helpful at times , but skewed often by obviously disgruntled individuals.

thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 01:00 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,024,760 times
Well I went there in '92 thru '97, I liked it. It's older, it's the oldest elementary school in Madison by a LONG time.

I can't imagine the facilities being nicer than they were when I was a kid.

I don't know what else to say, Madison City as a whole has great teachers and faculty overall, so you really can't go wrong.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:34 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,829,387 times
What BMW said. You can't go wrong with any of the schools in Madison. They also try to even out the demographics as best they can. Which for a city of this size, that is a very good thing.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:18 AM

956 posts, read 2,350,455 times
Madison may be doing a bit of rezoning in the elementary schools, so keep that in mind. What may be zoned one today, may not be in the near future I have clients whose children attended West Madison. They had nothing but great experiences!

Old 02-27-2013, 04:51 PM

Thank you all very much.
Rezoning is definitely a thing to consider, although out of your control.
It is comforting that the schools on the whole appear to e very good.
Just a little uneasy as the realtor seemed to focus exclusively on feeder areas to Mill Creek and Heritage.

We would like to rent to start off to be certain we like a particular are, although the rental market is tight to say the least, at least for larger homes so we may not have as much choice in the matter until we know where we want to buy.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:45 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,829,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetdoc View Post
Just a little uneasy as the realtor seemed to focus exclusively on feeder areas to Mill Creek and Heritage.
Because they are newer and are in probably a higher price point of home on average. $$$$ is what she/he sees. But I'm not saying Realtors are bad.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:12 AM

3,298 posts, read 5,679,858 times
Madison is currently working on the elementary rezoning, they were going to do it last year but everyone pitched a fit with the high school and middle school rezoning for the opening of the new high school. It will mainly affect Columbia, Mill Creek, and Heritage...but West Madison may very well see some changes as well. I've heard they will leave Rainbow and Horizon alone, but don't take that to the bank until they have APPROVED those zone maps. They usually change multiple times even from when the first one is presented.

Mill Creek and Heritage are in a higher price point. Median home price in Heritage is up in the mid $300's, Mill Creek does have some more affordable options.

I'll tell you my West Madison story....I have a client who teaches there and LOVES it (she lives in Heritage zone but all her children have attended WME), and multiple clients with kids there that also love it. When Mill Creek opened, and they started the rezoning, West Madison was set to lose well over 1/2 their kids that currently attend. Alot of Columbia kids were rezoned to WME, and many of the WM kids were set to go to Columbia/Madison/Mill Creek. Those West Madison parents RAISED CAIN at the public meeting.....I mean showed up in DROVES to beg NOT to be taken out of West Madison, even tho they got to send their kids to the "new" schools. Its just perception....West Madison and Madison are the older elementary schools and don't look as shiny and pretty as the newer, more state of the art elementary building. BUT, you get a much smaller class size at West Madison which is a great benefit, and they have some of the most awesome teachers. They have also continually kept WM just as "tech savvy" as the other elementary schools. One of my friends moved from Columbia to West Madison, and her son flourished at West Madison. So, don't let ANYONE discourage you from that school....judge for yourself. Take a tour, meet the principal/teachers. Its a great little school for sure!

Just FYI...Columbia is overcrowded, Mill Creek is WAY overcrowded, and Heritage is reaching that point. That is the issue they will address with the rezone. I would not be surprised to see a new 8th Madison elementary in the next few years....

And holy cow BMW....92-97? You are surely just a babe...I was in COLLEGE then! Ugh, I'm old!.....and also I still can't believe you destroyed those FABULOUS chevron tile floors...boo! I have a blog you might like if you want some decorating inspiration

Last edited by LCTMadison; 02-28-2013 at 05:08 AM..

Old 02-28-2013, 09:37 AM

Awesome thanks!!
I figured it would do with the price point, realtor was very good at sticking to modest homes (at our request) without trying to up sell or anything though and that was refreshing.
I'll tell ya, coming from the west, the prices are so reasonable everywhere we have looked!

Smaller class sizes are great! Public schools in Vegas are routinely in the 30:1 range and at times higher.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:53 AM

FYI...if school zones are a concern they will probably have the rezoning proposal out sometime in March and a final zoning map in April

Old 03-08-2013, 03:30 PM

Here is an update on the rezoning that was just posted by Madison City Schools:

Work in Madison continues on the development of new elementary zone lines for the 2013-2014 school year.

We anticipate posting a proposed map on Wednesday, March 13th on the Madison City School system’s webpage.

There will then be a community meeting on the proposed new zones at 6 p.m. on Thursday, March 21st at James Clemens High School.

Residents will have a chance to voice their opinions directly to the Board of Education at that meeting.

A final vote is anticipated at a Board meeting in April.

The timing of these events allows us to receive additional community input. The rezoning remains a work in progress.

Once the map is posted, residents will have more than a week to review it prior to the community meeting. This timetable also provides time after the zoning community meeting to implement changes prior to a final vote of the Board in April.

You can find information regarding rezoning on our system’s webpage (www.madisoncity.k12.al.us) under the “2013 Rezoning Info” tab.

With tremendous growth comes great challenges. We are committed to keeping our growth positive, and to providing a safe and enjoyable educational experience for each child in our system.

Posted by Dennis James
Director of Student Services
Madison City Schools
dennis.james@madisoncity.k12.al.us

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area