Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 07:26 AM

16 posts, read 40,608 times

Advertisements

We found a great little house in Blossomwood, but it needs some serious renovation (built in the 60's, nothing updated since). Does anyone have recommendations for a general contractor? We're moving from DC with 2 young kids so needs to be someone who is trustworthy to do quality work while we're out of town, and finishes projects on time so we're not living in a hotel for any longer than we need to.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 08:00 AM

11 posts, read 19,496 times
We are using Trey Green with Green & Assoc. Fantastic work, started early & working hard! 256-797-4411

Old 02-27-2013, 08:09 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,725,515 times
Congratulations! I love that part of town!!

Old 03-01-2013, 08:12 AM

4 posts, read 6,499 times
I see several houses being re-modeled by James Hill. Don't know anything about his work, but they do plenty in Blossomwood. Also check with Dan Maxwell (who lines in BWood), he builds very nice houses.

BTW, who did your plans? We live in BWood and are considering adding on and need a good architect.

One last thing, not sure where your house is, but the new floodplain map is out and the new floodway covers several houses that were not in the floodplain previously. If your house backs up to the creek, especially on Woodmont or close to the intersection of Sun Valley and Cleermont, you may need to check the new map.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:30 AM

20 posts, read 48,348 times
I work in construction and one of my favorite remodel contractors is Jason Butler.

J R Butler Inc, Gurley - Contractors

He personally supervises each of his jobs, as well as does a lot of the work. Working with residential building contractors for the past 5+ yrs he is one that I would allow to work on my home.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:06 PM

16 posts, read 40,608 times
Thank you all for your recommendations! I really appreciate the feedback and will start calling around...wish us luck!

Old 03-21-2013, 07:32 AM

63 posts, read 158,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizj2000 View Post
Thank you all for your recommendations! I really appreciate the feedback and will start calling around...wish us luck!
I would suggest Harcon Construction. Bill Harris, the owner, specializes in rennovations and additions. Bill added an addition to our Colonial style house in 2011. The house looks original and Bill made sure to match the historical aspects perfectly (mouldings, windows, doors etc). His pricing is in line with what you would expect most contractors to charge (cost plus). His sub-contractors have worked for him for years and he manages them close to ensure a top quality job.

If you have not yet decided on your contractor, send me a direct message and I'll be happy to email you pictures of his work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area