Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 07:47 PM

19 posts, read 33,100 times

Advertisements

Luckily it's a good excuse to throw some wood in the fireplace and have a nice fire going to warm the casa .. Unfortunately though, spring and summer is right around the corner and 200 degree heat just isn't my thing. So, who would you all recommend? I'm not looking for top of the line, just something efficient and and preferably quiet. And most importantly, the job must be done right.

As an aside, I don't know much about central heating and air units. If it could be repaired in lieu of replaced, obviously I'd rather go that route.

Anyone have any good/bad opinions of local heating and air companies? I know a lot of times a sales rep will come out to say you need an entire new unit, new ductwork, new floors, a swimming pool, and a new roof, when all that was wrong was a broken belt or something silly. So I'm looking for an honest hvac company who will give an honest assesment.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 08:07 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
How old is your current unit? What brand? Is it a heat pump or propane/gas/electric/oil/nuclear/hamster-driven?

Most units can be repaired. It may not be cost effective if there is a serious issue with the coils or the compressor. I figure AC/heat pump lifespan at roughly 15 years. If you follow a tech around and ask questions, you can usually get a sense of what is going on.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
How old is your current unit? What brand? Is it a heat pump or propane/gas/electric/oil/nuclear/hamster-driven?

Most units can be repaired. It may not be cost effective if there is a serious issue with the coils or the compressor. I figure AC/heat pump lifespan at roughly 15 years. If you follow a tech around and ask questions, you can usually get a sense of what is going on.
No doubt it's an older unit. It's a Goodman and it's 12 years old. It is a heat pump, electric... With the understanding that it may be completely gone, I'd still like to get all the mileage I can out of it, if at all possible. Here's what happened, the other night we started smelling a burning smell. The unit was on and running outside (we could hear it), but no air was coming out of the vents. So maybe it's a goner?

Old 02-28-2013, 08:23 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,279,085 times
I don't know how big your house is, but you can have my old Trane unit.

It's a gas furnace, electric heat pump.

It's 15yrs old, so not a spring chicken or anything, but it works. I am going to be putting in a new system in the coming months.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Dave View Post
I don't know how big your house is, but you can have my old Trane unit.

It's a gas furnace, electric heat pump.

It's 15yrs old, so not a spring chicken or anything, but it works. I am going to be putting in a new system in the coming months.
That's awfully kind.. Greatly appreciate it but unfortunately I'm not on gas here.. Although I've been exploring to see if I can get it...

Old 02-28-2013, 08:30 PM

218 posts, read 277,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaJack View Post
No doubt it's an older unit. It's a Goodman and it's 12 years old. It is a heat pump, electric... With the understanding that it may be completely gone, I'd still like to get all the mileage I can out of it, if at all possible. Here's what happened, the other night we started smelling a burning smell. The unit was on and running outside (we could hear it), but no air was coming out of the vents. So maybe it's a goner?
Sounds like a bad indoor blower fan. Should be a cheap ($200-500 for A/C repairman) and easy fix. Assuming the compressor hasn't been damaged by running with no airflow across the condenser (inside heat exchanger).

Old 02-28-2013, 08:37 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
Call Dave Fuller with All American Comfort Consultants....he's fantastic! Very honest!

All American Comfort consultants

Old 02-28-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Call Dave Fuller with All American Comfort Consultants....he's fantastic! Very honest!

All American Comfort consultants
Cool.. thanks!

Old 02-28-2013, 09:06 PM

2,996 posts, read 3,580,465 times
Tiptons Heating and cooling does an outstanding job

Tipton Heating and Cooling ? Over 25 years of HVAC in Huntsville, Madison, and surrounding areas

Old 02-28-2013, 09:18 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Agree that the blower fan is the likely problem and an easy fix. If you can open the air handler or look in the manual to get model and serial #, you may be able to help the tech out before he even gets there. Just a sniff guess on total cost - $350 + tax. Make sure the entire unit gets inspected at the same time. You may be able to save an extra service call. In particular, the contactor may want replacement from the overload of a shorted fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area