Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2007, 07:18 PM

73 posts, read 432,912 times

Advertisements

Being born and raised in the Huntsville area , I have many pleasant memories of Christmas time and how it seemed that everyone decorated their homes with lights, once upon a time the entire corridore of Holmes Av. was known as Christmas Card Lane , now you only see 1 or 2 cards on the front lawn , Whitesburg drive was like a Christmas festival with almost every home lit up from Lilly Flag all the way to 5 Points , now you rarely see christmas lights , and the ones you do see are strung up so carelessly they look down right tacky. Is this a loss of interest ? or has everyone become so busy that time will not allow for the work involved ? There is one neighborhood off of Bailey Cove Rd. still left, that goes all out for Holiday lighting, those of you that are familiar with the area, know Mr. Lanza and Dr. Higginbotham will coverted the entire block into a Winter Wonder Land starting ...... Right Now, as it takes several weeks to assymble and be up and running by Thanksgiving and for those that don't know about this , it's a "must see" during the Holidays. I don't mean to make a lenghtly post , but I was wondering why we don't see this any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 06:42 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,061,280 times
I remember the same type thing in Mobile when I was young. Everyone drove through the sub. there were so many cars (yes we had cars back then) the police had to come out and direct traffic.

I think higher electric bills and people are just too busy to go to such elaborate displays are a couple of reasons. I know in FL there were still a few nabs who decorated in fact, there was a company that would go out and put up lights/decorations for people for a fee of course

Old 10-25-2007, 08:28 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,766,535 times
I don't think this phenomenon is unique to Huntsville. One question I would ask is, are you comparing the same neighborhoods, then and now? That might be the problem.

I think part of it is the way the demographics of a neighborhood change. Neighborhoods with young families are more likely to go all-out with holiday decorations than neighborhoods with empty nesters or with DINKS (dual income, no kids ). Same thing with Halloween - you might remember tons of kids coming to your door, and it trickles down and down until there's not a single trick-or-treater in sight. You might think trick-or-treating is dead, but it's not.. go find the neighborhood that is attracting the younger families, and you'll find it alive and well!

Just looking at the new subdivision where I am moving, there is definitely that different energy there than any of the other neighborhoods I have lived in, because it's "one of those neighborhoods" where almost every house has is a family with younger kids. The neighborhood was clearly spooked up a bit for Halloween even though some houses are still vacant or being built! I'm moving in December and I'll be interested to see how it is during the holidays. Even though I'm Jewish I enjoy holiday displays - if my neighbors are into it, I'll even put up a few blue and white "Hannukah lights" in the interest of not breaking the momentum. (Though probably not this year, dang it, Hannukah will be long over by the time I move in.)

My realtors are a couple who raised their kids in Jones Valley and loved it, and fondly remember their kids and neighbors' kids riding bikes en masse around the neighborhoods they once lived. But they seem to be directing young clients who want a "family neighborhood" to the newer subdivisions explaining that there is where you are going to get that dynamic over the next 10-20 years. Of course young families are everywhere, but some don't mind being scattered - those that enjoy community energy tend to flock to certain streets or neighborhoods.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:13 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,381,154 times
I think holiday decorating is coming back. Places like Sam's, Target, and Walmart are selling lots of cool decorations - If Halloween is an indicator, expect to see lots of large displays. Echo zj on demographics and neighborhoods: the neighborhoods in which Rick grew up were full of kids back when they were new.

zenjenn - be sure to see the 'Galaxy of Lights' at the Botanical Garden - it's mostly Christmas but there are some Hannukah displays as well. Great for kids - it is drive through most nights, but the opening weekend is walking tour.

Can't wait to break out the dreidel...

Old 10-25-2007, 02:47 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,766,535 times
Oh yeah, I know congregants at the reform temple have a volunteer activity they do where they fill in for the volunteer staff on Christmas Eve and Christmas Night, since obviously we Jews have nothing better to do those nights. (I might see if I can get in on that but so far I've been more at home at the conservative synagogue here.)

My Sukkot, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Hannukah decorations are in storage and probably won't see the light of day until after the holiday. It's been a bummer year in that regard. But I will look forward to getting festive next year for the first time in my new home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area