Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 08:36 PM

224 posts, read 345,799 times

Advertisements

I have never felt afraid here in the 18 months since I moved here. I do however recognize that theft is an issue here and so I take precautions. It doesn't make me a scaredy cat, it just makes me smart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 09:19 AM

308 posts, read 527,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
You're a guy, right? As a female, I would NEVER do that if it was guys following me.
There you fool yourselve ... as a female you can/should do the very same with the very same outcome as by me.
I can show you many women that would act like me with the same success rate.
It's self confidence nothing more, nothing less.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:03 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,126,163 times
That doesn't always work (I've partaken in the self defense, assertive classes "how not to be a victim") and I'm not a timid female and have never been accused of being one. I can get in someone's face as well as they can get in mine and all of that. But.. not all gang bangers or guys that are out there are intimidated by a strong, confident female. They mean trouble and they're out to have it. Not always the wise thing to confront them. Had a friend do similar once and it backfired and she was knifed. There are times it can work and I agree that one shouldn't appear the "victim" type. But you can't generalize that for all cases. And I'm sorry but a man can never know what it is like to be a female out there and be stalked, harrassed or threatened by up to no good males.
(not that I'm saying this is what happens at MSM but I don't think you can nutshell all those criminals and potential criminals as weak, sniveling, little cowards and anyone can confront any one of them and have them turn tail and run.)
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:06 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,265,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaniMove View Post
Huntsville has turned into a town of transplants fearing for their lives. It is a very sad state of affairs.

Yes, just like in the other threads you have posted comments in, your insights into our area are spot on. Its a wonder any of us even venture out anymore, as we all fear for our lives......RUN EVERYONE....RUN!!! HSV has been taken over by extreme paranoia!!

(disclaimer: that is my EXTREME sarcasm font)

Old 04-09-2013, 06:37 AM

295 posts, read 442,308 times
CaniMove, in the time I've lived here I've never feared for my life. I try to be smart about where I go and when, especially if I'm alone. If I carry a purse at all, it's a small one. I try to walk confidently and I try to make a point to know what's going on around me. I have my phone conversations and do any texting when I'm in a safe place to do so, not when walking in public. I save my texting or other phone activities for when I'm in a place where I'm confident that I'll probably be safe. None of that is because I'm scared of Huntsville, though. It's not paranoia. It's just smart tactics I've learned living in a number of places where things can and do happen. It saddens me to hear about the violence and shootings we have, but I've lived where it was much, much worse. I grew up in a small town where people seldom locked their homes and often left their car keys in the ignition all the time. It's just a different world (most) everywhere now.

LCTMadison, how I do wish there was a real sarcasm font! I'd be tempted to set it as my default!

Old 01-05-2015, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 764 times
Was just searching for this answer, and found this thread. I called them (Madison Square Mall) today (1/5/15), and they said the mall itself opens 2 hours before the stores for walking. So during the week, that would be 8 am, and 10 am on Sundays.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:41 PM

626 posts, read 754,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couponms View Post
Was just searching for this answer, and found this thread. I called them (Madison Square Mall) today (1/5/15), and they said the mall itself opens 2 hours before the stores for walking. So during the week, that would be 8 am, and 10 am on Sundays.
The place is a ghost town....any hour that it is open is good for walking. Just be careful of the people that do shop there....

Old 01-05-2015, 02:55 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAL50 View Post
One of my favorite moves and have done that numerous times, is when some one is following me that I make a 180 and walk straight up to them in their face. Usually they will disappear very quickly and don't try to follow me again...
Do that to me and you might not like the result. If you're walking in the mall, and I'm walking in the mall, at some point one of us will be "following" the other.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:58 PM

493 posts, read 713,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Bowman View Post
The place is a ghost town....any hour that it is open is good for walking. Just be careful of the people that do shop there....
I went Christmas shopping at Madison Square Mall a month ago...while it's definitely a ghost town compared to what it was years ago I didn't feel threatened by anyone. Bath and Body Works and the White Barn Candle Company are still there and that's where I needed gifts from. I was kind of surprised that Santa was still there this year. The Great American Cookie place is still there too.

Last edited by needtosellmyhome; 01-06-2015 at 10:15 PM..

Old 02-18-2015, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 548 times
Default Parkway Place Mall HAS GREAT WALKING before hours

Parkway Place Mall opens up early to walkers (and also the DMV office that is there as well). I have been there walking at 8am, and it is always busy with folks walking their rounds. There are brass plates on the floor that measure your distance, and the Chick Fil A opens up by 9 (even earlier at times) to have a cup of coffee after your walk.

This past Christmas time, someone anonomously bought 190 folks their meals! THIS is why I am glad I moved to Huntsville.

Anonymous donor in Huntsville pays for 190 Chick-fil-A customers as Christmas gift | AL.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area