Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 07:56 PM

152 posts, read 240,883 times

Advertisements

OK guys, I just bought a bunch of new bamboo flooring and want to get in-floor heating installed. Yes, the manufacturer says in-floor heating can be used with it without voiding the warranty. The dude that Lumber Liquidators recommended doesn't appear to want my business since he doesn't seem to have any interest in returning my phone calls or emails. So screw him.

I plan on putting the flooring down myself, as it's just a click-lock system, but I need to find somebody who can lay down the heating and get everything done so I can just start laying down the flooring. Any recommendations?

Coogan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 04:34 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
You might check with Kemp's Flooring, Classic Flooring, or Haley's. My last stop would be Wolde (they are great, just expensive).

Old 03-21-2013, 06:02 PM

404 posts, read 777,897 times
Its really easy to do yourself....check out Thermosoft. Seriously its easier than laying the click and lock floor. Go to the thermosoft web site and watch the video. I laid one myself when I lived in Huntsville.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:31 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,278,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrixwolfe View Post
Its really easy to do yourself....check out Thermosoft. Seriously its easier than laying the click and lock floor. Go to the thermosoft web site and watch the video. I laid one myself when I lived in Huntsville.
agreed. If you are proficient enough to install flooring yourself, then in floor heating is really in the same league.

I am thinking about installing it in my master bathroom, while I have the floor out.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:33 PM

Ok, well, glad there's some folks with experience with this kind of job.

I'm not trying to do a bathroom or small area; this is for my living room, just a hair over 300 sq feet. The room itself is pretty much square. And, holy crap, that thermosoft stuff is expensive! It'd run me almost $2500 just for the underlayment (although it looks like I would qualify for a discount).

Can either of you give me some tips on this stuff? Wouldn't I need to bring in an electrician to run power to the thermostat?

Coog

Old 03-21-2013, 09:34 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,278,748 times
Yeah, those prices are really high, I didn't realize it was so expensive. I don't think I will be doing it for my bathroom at those prices...

Old 03-22-2013, 06:34 AM

404 posts, read 777,897 times
well, if you get it under one of their 50% off deals like they have going now, its didn't price out too bad for a bathroom.

I urge you to look at it again, one thing is while your living area may be is 300 sq feet, its possible the space you want to heat doesn't lay out that way. For example you don't heat under book cases, couches or shelves. you only want to heat the section of the floor that will be walked on. when you do the lay out this may cut a 100 sq feet or more. You have to try the lay out grid to see how many rolls you need....don't go by sq ftg.
Same with a bathroom, you don't heat next to the toilet or under the vanity. Really I was not well off, but I was able to afford it for the bathroom, I did get mine on the 50% off sale.

As for the electrical, if you make a junction box hole next to a light switch, and fish the the wires up the wall to the junction box. If your not comfortable tying into a power supply wire, then you'd only have to pay the electrician to Tie in. Or get them to provide you with a supply wire to a junction box and then you hook it up from there...its just a few wire nuts, tape and screws to attach the thermostat. Read up on it on the web. You might get off easier with a handyman service. The support guys on the phone at thermosoft were very helpful, and answered almost any technical question for me.
Bottom line you lay, the heating, and get the wires all in place...and then your not asking an electrician or handy man to install you heated floors (which they are not too familiar with) your just asking them to run you a power supply to a junction box.

You have to also consider that you''ll save a bit on heating that room.
My house in Huntsville was on a slab, and when I layed tile in the bathroom, there was no way I was doing it with out underfloor heating. I was so happy I did...I loved it, the cats looved it too.

When I bought a house in Maine, and laid new flooring I wanted to install the under floor heating, but for a whole downstairs it was too expensive...I'm sorry now I didn't do it...it would have helped with my heating bill up here. I just put down nice but inexpensive peal and stick in my kitchen and bathroom for now and will be installing it both those rooms in the near future.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:44 AM

I'm going to give Thermosoft a call today and get an estimate. I do plan on getting an electrician to do all the wiring in the wall.

My house is on a slab as well, and thanks to a poor design by the architect, the living room NEVER gets warm (the return is in the living room, but 10 FEET above the floor. I have to change the filter from the 2nd floor landing). Consequently, you can jack the heat up and end up sweating in the 1st-floor master suite, and step into the living room and feel the temperature drop 15 degrees in about 3 feet. We've had AC people come and change the air distribution, tried closing vents in other areas, and lighting fires in the fireplace - nothing will warm that living room up in the dead of winter, probably because any warm air from the ceiling vents is immediately pulled up by the "1st" and 2nd floor returns.

This is the primary reason for getting in-floor heating I've also heard it's pretty light on the utility bills.

Thanks for all the tips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area