Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 11:41 AM

19 posts, read 77,351 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about something. I've lived on Brindlee Mtn. for about 4 years. The first two years I lived on the backside near West Point Church. Out there I heard shooting all the time. I didn't think much of it since it's very rural and a lot of pasture land and forest. I myself enjoy shooting.

However, now I live right by Union Hill School. I often hear gunfire that sounds extremely close. Today someone is shooting what I'm pretty sure is an AR15 or other high caliber semi-auto. It sounds as though it's coming from the woods behind Union Hill School and the fire station. My concern is that a) there are kids playing on the playground right now at the school, b) Cascade Creek subdivision is right there on the side of the woods and c) there are homes directly on the other side of those woods.

But with gunfire, it's hard to pinpoint where it's coming from exactly. All I know is that is sounds pretty friggin close. I've hunted all my life and am pretty good with gunfire distance based on sound.

So my question is: Does anyone here know exactly where this particular shooting spot is? Is it safe within a hollow, or at least into a big embankment? And does anyone know who is doing the shooting and is it private property, or somewhere others can go to shoot?

My main concern is safety. I was raised with strict safety conscious attitudes toward guns, and I'm very cautious and safe with mine and where I shoot. So I just wanted to see if I could get some feedback from anyone in the area regarding this apparently quite popular shooting spot. I have 3 young children and don't want to have to deal with stray bullets or anything.

Thanks for any feedback.

J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 03:32 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntoMan View Post
...AR15 or other high caliber semi-auto...
The AR-15 is small caliber - .223.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
The AR-15 is small caliber - .223.
Of course. The phrase "large caliber" was a bad choice, I suppose I should have said "large cartridge," but I'm really not concerned with the technicalities. I'm just wanting to know some info on the shooting location and whether it's being safely done or not, if anyone happens to know.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:09 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntoMan View Post
...but I'm really not concerned with the technicalities...
I only posted my response because there are a lot of folks who run around with misinformation about guns, specifically the AR-15. I have friends and associates who thought the AR-15 is a large-caliber, high-velocity, fully-automatic assault rifle that shouldn't be in the hands of the ordinary citizen. I tell them it's not fully-automatic and they say "well, I heard you just have to flip a hidden switch and it's fully-automatic." So, then I have to get into the history of the AR-15 and the M-16 (the version they think they know about).

Anyway, I agree - your problem doesn't involve technicalities, just the proximity and possibility of carelessness.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:33 PM

944 posts, read 1,186,299 times
Is there a firing range close by? Can one just shoot wherever one feels like it??? Just because places are rural? We don't own guns & never intend to, but if we did I'd make sure I knew how to properly use one & only shoot at ranges where it's allowed (can't hit a barn door 5' in front of me). Color me naive, but aren't people supposed to use ranges instead of shooting wherever they feel like it? I'd be very worried hearing gunshots close to a school and/or subdivision. Is AL the same as MT, every road sign riddled with bullet holes? :-)

Old 04-14-2013, 12:07 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Could it be paintball?

Old 04-14-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I only posted my response because there are a lot of folks who run around with misinformation about guns, specifically the AR-15. I have friends and associates who thought the AR-15 is a large-caliber, high-velocity, fully-automatic assault rifle that shouldn't be in the hands of the ordinary citizen. I tell them it's not fully-automatic and they say "well, I heard you just have to flip a hidden switch and it's fully-automatic." So, then I have to get into the history of the AR-15 and the M-16 (the version they think they know about).

Anyway, I agree - your problem doesn't involve technicalities, just the proximity and possibility of carelessness.
Oh I understand completely. I can carry my 30-30 on my shoulder all day and hardly anyone will blink, but if I try that with a tactical 22, some folks act like I'm carrying a machine gun. They don't realize these so-called "assault rifles" are pretty much just ordinary rifles in tactical dress-up.

But yeah, since I am making the distinction by sound, I should have said "large cartridge" since the sound is proportionate to the cartridge contents and not the caliber.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2517 View Post
Is there a firing range close by? Can one just shoot wherever one feels like it??? Just because places are rural? We don't own guns & never intend to, but if we did I'd make sure I knew how to properly use one & only shoot at ranges where it's allowed (can't hit a barn door 5' in front of me). Color me naive, but aren't people supposed to use ranges instead of shooting wherever they feel like it? I'd be very worried hearing gunshots close to a school and/or subdivision. Is AL the same as MT, every road sign riddled with bullet holes? :-)
No, there's no range nearby. And the proximity to the school, the subdivision, other residences and the church, is why I was concerned. It's close enough that I would think it's not legal, however I spoke with the Morgan County Sheriff's Patrol and they said it's perfectly legal for people to shoot "responsibly" in their own backyard. Personally, any time I go to shoot, it's at a range or it's miles from any residential areas or other inhabited areas. That's why I'm hoping someone knows where this shooting spot is located, because it's *possible* that it's further than I think, depending on if the area is in a hollow or other geographic feature that could cause sound to carry further. But in all my experience, I'm guessing it's extremely close - and *that* is a problem.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Could it be paintball?
No, not a chance. It's definitely a semi-auto rifle. When you're used to hearing them, rifles, shotguns, semi-auto pistols, and revolvers all have a relatively distinct sound to the seasoned ear - some of that has to do with cartridge size (amount of powder), projectile type and barrel design/size/length. It's not always easy given other variables, but I'm quite sure it's a rifle they're shooting, and I say a semi-auto because the shots were fired in groupings of about 20 rounds each fired close together.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:13 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
I used to live close to Union Hill School some years ago and we would shoot on our property. Target shooting. There was an embankment that we would shoot against.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area