Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 10:14 AM

355 posts, read 959,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephant08 View Post
This is a great thread; I've often wondered myself about Aldi's... But, really you have to pay to use carts, bags? Odd. Don't harp on me about the quarter. I want my stuff for FREE (hehehehe, I kid). I want to venture in there one day. I often wonder about what's its like, too. Have a good day all
You get your quarter back when you return the cart to the stall. The paper bags I think are a nickel and plastic bags are around a dime. Of course, you could bring in some of your old walmart bags!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 10:23 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,779,642 times
we have aldi in the UK BIG time so i grew up with them and coming to the us and indifotu there just now getting of thier feet was so confusing.
most eurpoean stores charge for bags its a way to encorage you to recycle, bring your ow, doesnt matter if they are cloth, plastic from another store...they just want you to think about wether you realy NEED it. they do usually have plenty of boxes you can take and use though which s what weve always done.

aldi is GREAT for canned goods...
cheap, taste just as good as other stores, and perfect for stocking the pantry...

their frozen meats are generally good too, thei 10lb bag of frozen chicken doesnt shrink to barely a lb when cooked like the stuff heavily pumped ull of saline does lol)
drinks, like soda and juice, cookies, chip and snak type goods as well as generic cerials are alo good buys, s are the pre-pckaged cheeses.

Ive neve rbeen impressed with the quality of their fresh produce, the price on none frozen meats and milk also tend to eb hit or miss, some weeks super cheap others i can pick it up cheaper elsewhere.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:39 AM

23,529 posts, read 69,951,025 times
I was a lot more impressed with them about three years ago than recently. Stuff I have noticed -
1. The meat has always been something to avoid, more so even than the pumped up walmart meat and water.
2. The fresh produce pricing has been trending up and quality down, with a few exceptions.
3. The chips are more expensive, smaller amounts in the bags, and go rancid faster. I use to stock up on those, now I actively avoid them. Last time I was at the Decatur store, the stock levels were WAY down. I guess others have come to the same conclusion.
4. The pricing in general has gone up - be aware that the Huntsville stores often are more expensive for the same item than the Decatur store, but that the Decatur store doesn't stock the variety.
5. Quality in general seems to be less. I got some bad fig newtons, and have had a few other items where I tossed rather than used after tasting.

The old Sav-a-lot in Decatur was no great shakes, and pricing was no great savings. However, the one in Athens has become a go-to store. Pricing is on a par with or better than Aldis, it has decent meats and produce, and an easier shop. Hometown comes in a close second except for produce.

It used to be a once-a-month ritual to shop the Decatur Aldis. No more. The deals and quality don't justify the extra gas.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:33 PM

483 posts, read 625,559 times
I'm a pretty loyal Aldi's shopper because I go there at least once a week. Going in order the grocery carts are all in a corral, yes you put a quarter in the slot to release the cart but you get your quarter back when you return your cart. I bet there are a lot less dings in car doors in Aldi's parking lots. I disagree with Harry in the post above. Their salt and pepper potato chips are amazing. Sure stock is down, cause people are buying! When they first opened milk was $1.49 a gallon. It's gradually gone up. Sometimes it will be on sale but for the most part it's in the $2.49-$2.69 range. Eggs this week were .69. They have almost everything but may not have a huge variety. In other words there are about 3 different types of orange juice. Produce is something you have to look over very carefully. But like many have posted prices are great. I think I've bought pretty much at least one thing in every section. Are their soft drinks Pepsi or Coke? No but they're fine. I just wish....THEY WOULD CARRY THE WINE THEY ADVERTISE IN THEIR CIRCULARS. Here's their explanation: Alabama now requires the owner of a business to personally go and apply for the wine license. The Aldi's owner is a 100 year old German man who does not travel. Seriously? So when you get to the checkout (and there is often only one cashier) you put your stuff on the belt, the cashier swipes it across the scanner and puts it in the cart waiting there. So you may not get your special quarter back. Haha. Then you wheel the buggy over to the counter and pack your bags. Put your bags in the car and trade your cart for their quarter or better yet pay it forward and have them do the same.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:23 PM

2,961 posts, read 3,512,062 times
New one being built at South Parkway/ Hobbs Road

Old 04-22-2013, 05:27 PM

Milk was $2.29/gallon today and expiration date was May 7. I will say if you see something in the middle "special" sections, try it and like it when you go back buy plenty. We bought some German cookies that were delicious but they are all gone now. we have to wait for "German" month again. May will probably in celebration of Cinco de Mayo and they also have Italian month too. I love the variety of those special items.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:32 PM

360 posts, read 1,528,573 times
Thumbs up Another ALDI lover here...

I'm there every Wednesday for their specials. We always buy eggs, almond milk, half 'n half, bread, toilet paper, and frozen salmon there. Their German breads are great, and my husband likes their cheeses. They sell Lifeway kefir for $2.79 vs. $3.89 at Kroger. Sometimes, their produce has a short lifespan, but I don't usually mind tossing or composting an onion or two out of a big bag because their prices are so much better than anywhere else. And I second the recommendation for stocking up on any seasonal specials you like, as once they're gone, they're gone.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:31 PM

21,004 posts, read 27,016,248 times
I have been inside an Aldi once. It is not a bad store. Aldi provides quality products at good prices without dealing with overhead. One thing I wish Aldi would to is take personal checks. They do not accept them, and I do not use cash, debit and credit at all.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I have been inside an Aldi once. It is not a bad store. Aldi provides quality products at good prices without dealing with overhead. One thing I wish Aldi would to is take personal checks. They do not accept them, and I do not use cash, debit and credit at all.
You can get a debit card that is tied to your checking account. That shouldn't be an issue really.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:16 AM

948 posts, read 735,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
New one being built at South Parkway/ Hobbs Road
Probably for all the section 8 housing in the area. South Huntsville is turning into an inner city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area