Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 09:49 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,792,261 times

Advertisements

I live in a breland subdivision in the county. Dr Horton has built out all the lots. But, breland still owns land behind the neighborhood. I have two questions. Since this land is undeveloped, is it still part of the neighborhood? Basically, the builder has control of our hoa and we want that to end. Secondly this land has become overgrown. We get cited for a weed in our yard but we can't get breland to maintain that land. Is there any recourse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 10:52 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,842,681 times
Most likely he is going to develop that land in the relatively near future as another phase of your subdivision. As for the land, it being undeveloped land out in the county, I would imagine nature can take it's course. It is land, it is out in the county and stuff grows. lol It would be different if it was within the city limits in the middle of developed areas where city ordinances are in effect. I doubt there is much you can do and if you try, you will probably just throw thousands away in attorney and legal fees and in the process you will tick him off. Keep in mind, he could go in a different direction with that other land and sell the development to someone who can build super cheap crap houses on it, which would kill your property values since real estate agents will start using those houses as comps. This has happened all around this area in recent years.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:56 AM

But the overgrowth is moving onto other properties. I also don't think it's right to have the builder control the hoa if they are just sitting on the land. Do any neighborhoods actually gain control of their HOAs?

Old 08-31-2016, 10:59 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,842,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
But the overgrowth is moving onto other properties. I also don't think it's right to have the builder control the hoa if they are just sitting on the land. Do any neighborhoods actually gain control of their HOAs?
Typically, I believe once the development is finished the developer will turn the HOA over to the residents.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:35 PM

2,454 posts, read 3,218,249 times
Quote:
You might check with the HOA at Bridgewater Landing. They are a Breland / Horton development and I believe the HOA was turned over to the residents.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:54 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,269,312 times
The developer (Breland) is a completely different entity than the builder (DR Horton). Breland is selling lots he is developing to DR Horton (well....maybe That relationship is quite contentious right now so he may be seeking out another builder, I would imagine it would be DSLD Homes which he has some close ties to). Breland will turn over the HOA when he is ready, but if he has additional land/lots to be developed then he may wait.

He just turned over Stillwater Cove, and it was as the last lots were being built and there is really no additional land to acquire as the adjoining landowner (who I know) has said he is NOT selling to him.

Yes, at some point the HOA will be turned over, but that is at the declarant (in this case, Breland) discretion unless it is spelled out in the CCRs (I cannot recall if this is addressed, he typically does not). Some developers will have a time frame in the covenants....but even that can be amended. There is one "declarant" in town that loves to do that...he just continues to file amendments and keep his people on the neighborhood boards.

Last edited by LCTMadison; 08-31-2016 at 05:11 PM..

Old 08-31-2016, 05:27 PM

944 posts, read 1,187,261 times
Good luck on getting him to turn anything over until he is good and ready to do so...there are NO laws that covers buyers in this state, only builders It's been an ongoing and futile battle here in our neighborhood and he runs the HOA as he sees fit - after gawd knows how many years. I have given up caring, they take good care of the grounds, what more can we possibly ask for

Old 08-31-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
The developer (Breland) is a completely different entity than the builder (DR Horton). Breland is selling lots he is developing to DR Horton (well....maybe That relationship is quite contentious right now so he may be seeking out another builder, I would imagine it would be DSLD Homes which he has some close ties to). Breland will turn over the HOA when he is ready, but if he has additional land/lots to be developed then he may wait.

He just turned over Stillwater Cove, and it was as the last lots were being built and there is really no additional land to acquire as the adjoining landowner (who I know) has said he is NOT selling to him.

Yes, at some point the HOA will be turned over, but that is at the declarant (in this case, Breland) discretion unless it is spelled out in the CCRs (I cannot recall if this is addressed, he typically does not). Some developers will have a time frame in the covenants....but even that can be amended. There is one "declarant" in town that loves to do that...he just continues to file amendments and keep his people on the neighborhood boards.
If there were marked and platted lots, but that's not the case. He could just own the land for years if he wanted too. People need to know that up front. If the land was being developed, I wouldn't have an issue.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2517 View Post
Good luck on getting him to turn anything over until he is good and ready to do so...there are NO laws that covers buyers in this state, only builders It's been an ongoing and futile battle here in our neighborhood and he runs the HOA as he sees fit - after gawd knows how many years. I have given up caring, they take good care of the grounds, what more can we possibly ask for
They don't here.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:04 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,269,312 times
Quote:
If there were marked and platted lots, but that's not the case. He could just own the land for years if he wanted too. People need to know that up front. If the land was being developed, I wouldn't have an issue.
Not defending his actions (or inactions) but again...its his right as declarant, and this is what comes with buying in a new construction neighborhood where the homeowners do not yet control the HOA. He can remain declarant (as can any developer/builder) as long as he sees fit and if he has future plans for that undeveloped land then that is what he may choose to do. When he is done, he no longer holds an interest in managing the HOA and will let the homeowners take over. He doesn't usually turn over to the homeowners until he is completely done with the neighborhood....and he may not be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area