Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2013, 04:37 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,265,371 times

Advertisements

You do realize Belk is one of the the "flagship" stores at the Summit, and the Belk we will be getting at Bridgestreet will be the higher end store like the Summit?

Old 08-08-2013, 01:01 PM

9 posts, read 9,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
You do realize Belk is one of the the "flagship" stores at the Summit, and the Belk we will be getting at Bridgestreet will be the higher end store like the Summit?
I like Belks on the parkway. Prices are reasonable and clothing is high quality. It is a needed addition to bridge street. I have not been to a high end Belk but I am sure it is done right because it is Belk.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:22 PM

252 posts, read 321,331 times
I am looking forward to seeing what a Belk Superstore is like. Maybe it will revive bridgestreet?

Old 08-10-2013, 01:34 PM

944 posts, read 1,186,181 times
Revive Bridgestreet? When did you go there last?

Old 08-10-2013, 01:41 PM

252 posts, read 321,331 times
I went Friday and it was busy at pf chang, cantina loredo and retail was dead. 4 retailers closed so far this year and more mainstream stuff could revive sales in the retail space IMO. I am hoping Belk will help.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:48 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,265,371 times
Kate Spade, an original tenant, closed a couple of years ago. Brookstone didn't close, they only occupied that space during the holidays.

Richard Cable closed his BS location, he couldn't support that and his original location on Andrew Jackson. Pink Pelican also tried a second store at BS but she could not support both. Her Whitesburg location is very established and is doing well. Those are both locally owned businesses.

Please enlighten us to all the "retail closings" this year because all I have seen is new stores coming in......Buckle and Alumni Hall are both getting ready to open. Bridge Street scored a major coup when the only H&M in the state opened last year. There has been growth with the addition of Bed, Bath Beyond/Toys R Us and the current addition of the new Belk (which, BTW will be the same type store as the Summit). They are building a parking deck for additional parking, so apparently they feel that is needed to endeavor a project of that cost. I was at Bridge Street twice this week and the retail was busy.....it was much busier than Parkway Place. It was insane last weekend, as it usually is on the weekend.

Most sane people would call that "growth".......

Old 08-10-2013, 03:02 PM

944 posts, read 1,186,181 times
I tend to agree, LTC, we went to PF Chang's last nite (early), had dinner (busy) - popped in to DSW & while it wasn't packed, there were plenty of people shopping - I'm not sure if a jam packed store is what constitutes 'revival', but school starts soon, people are shopping for school supplies (Target, Walmart) - most restaurants at BS have a wait time to get seated...last weekend was busy as well - I don't get this hell-bent determination to claim BS is not doing well!

Old 08-10-2013, 03:11 PM

376 posts, read 728,074 times
You know we have it good in this country when people are complaining about a nice shopping center like BridgeStreet.

LOL

Old 08-10-2013, 09:24 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarrison84 View Post
You know we have it good in this country when people are complaining about a nice shopping center like BridgeStreet.

LOL
That may be part of the problem. When the original developers were starting this project they did not promise a nice shopping center, they promised a major tourist attraction the likes of which we had not seen in the southeast.

It is good in dealing with such things to promise less and deliver more. I think anyone would agree that it has not turned out as expected or I would say that person just can't bring themselves to be sincere about it. I can base this just on what has been written on Huntsville's thread over the past few years. (I don't mean this thread)

Over time it could improve but it has not turned into the draw that would have helped the area. Most envisioned people coming from other cities for this. The first visit does kill that.
In fact, I conjecture that MSM was a bigger draw when it was new. So the question must be, "what happened"?

raj

Old 08-11-2013, 05:41 AM

376 posts, read 728,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
That may be part of the problem. When the original developers were starting this project they did not promise a nice shopping center, they promised a major tourist attraction the likes of which we had not seen in the southeast.

It is good in dealing with such things to promise less and deliver more. I think anyone would agree that it has not turned out as expected or I would say that person just can't bring themselves to be sincere about it. I can base this just on what has been written on Huntsville's thread over the past few years. (I don't mean this thread)

Over time it could improve but it has not turned into the draw that would have helped the area. Most envisioned people coming from other cities for this. The first visit does kill that.
In fact, I conjecture that MSM was a bigger draw when it was new. So the question must be, "what happened"?

raj
Why did they think people would come from other cities to BridgeStreet? Even if they had not promise that, it doesn't seem like they could have delivered it. I never heard of a shopping center that was a tourist attraction, except maybe the large mall up in Minnesota that I think houses some roller coasters. I would think the kind of people who travel for shopping are going to go to the big cities like Atlanta for that rather than driving to Huntsville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area