Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 01:32 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
...I don't think the ROI would work considering the rent.
Exactly - therein lies the problem.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:00 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,057,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
That's a bit of a "Catch-22" situation.
It definitely is.

Quote:
The rent is high so the menu must be able to cover the high operating costs. If the menu is full of "cheap" items the restaurant must have high-volume sales. I don't think those locations can guarantee consistent high-volume sales at any price-point.
They should probably split those locations in two.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:10 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,207,414 times
What makes you think it needs to be a cheap place? Connor's, Cantina Laredo, PF Chang's and Bar Louie all seem to be doing great business right now and they aren't exactly cheap. Also, there is a parking lot in front of the Westin that is a very short walk away from the restaurant's location before anyone says "OMG, it is too far to walk!"

Old 11-12-2013, 03:47 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,057,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
What makes you think it needs to be a cheap place? Connor's, Cantina Laredo, PF Chang's and Bar Louie all seem to be doing great business right now and they aren't exactly cheap. Also, there is a parking lot in front of the Westin that is a very short walk away from the restaurant's location before anyone says "OMG, it is too far to walk!"
I'm not saying it has to be. But the one's who have been there have not been of great quality for the price. That is why Connor's and the others do well. They also have name recognition. The others did not.

However, considering the clientele that walk through that part of BS and the theater, going with something like a casual quick serve, IMO, would work very well right there.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:18 PM

513 posts, read 868,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
OMG, it's too far to walk

Old 11-12-2013, 05:04 PM

283 posts, read 434,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
Not there. You actually need something that is cheap enough to get the kids who go to the theater to eat there. That, IMO, is the #1 reason why restaurants fail in those two spots across from the theater. Something like a Qdoba or a Garbanzo's would do very well there.
Another reason that they might be failing is that the competiting restaurant inside the theatre is very good. The chef cares about his food (he even walks around often and 'checks' on his guests), and the price is very reasonsable for the quality. Hard to compete with that when you've got 5-digit rents.
Quote:
That's a bit of a "Catch-22" situation. The rent is high so the menu must be able to cover the high operating costs. If the menu is full of "cheap" items the restaurant must have high-volume sales. I don't think those locations can guarantee consistent high-volume sales at any price-point.
Exactly. I don't understand why BS management can't figure this out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
I'm not saying it has to be. But the one's who have been there have not been of great quality for the price. That is why Connor's and the others do well. They also have name recognition. The others did not.
Both Ketchup and Dolce were very good restaurants. I ate at the Ketchup in West Hollywood to compare, and it was the same food. That location has been there for better part of a decade.

We had my brother's engagement dinner at Dolce. Not only was the menu very well done to our likely, but the food was fantastic. Doing business with them was a rather odd affair as it took a week to have to 'sign' and electronic document vs just bringing in a check for the deposit.

These were both managed by the same group of restauranteurs, who have many successful restaurants in the US. It's just not a well set up location/demographic combination. Either they need to raise the disposible income of the customers or lower their rents. In a tough economy like this, it's hard to see which will be easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elephant08 View Post
OMG, it's too far to walk
LOL!

Old 11-15-2013, 12:14 PM

85 posts, read 98,401 times
OMG! This thread reminded me of the restaurant in theatre. It has excellent sushi and service.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:38 PM

283 posts, read 434,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegaeBusRider View Post
OMG! This thread reminded me of the restaurant in theatre. It has excellent sushi and service.
Sushi is definitely some of the better stuff available in the city. I've found the service can be hit or miss though. Sweet potato fries are awesome! Burger is good too!

*walks to kitchen now that he's hungry*

Old 11-15-2013, 01:41 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamirD View Post
Sushi is definitely some of the better stuff available in the city...
Really? You think their sushi is better than the authentic Japanese restaurants?

Old 11-15-2013, 03:06 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,278,748 times
Quote:
Really? You think their sushi is better than the authentic Japanese restaurants?
Everything I have ever had at Monaco has been awful. The burger came out over cooked, another time I got the crab cakes, which were packaged and seemingly microwaved before being served to me. I really can't describe how awful they were. It was like biting into a birds nest.

The sushi is just ok. Better than buffet 88 ( I assume ), BUT nothing like Edo or I <3 Sushi or Tokyo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area