Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 08:48 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,950,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffbuffer View Post
I live off County Line and the original statement I posted is based on my commute to work every morning. Not attacks, just observations.

Regards
Huffbuffer
If you consider the Countyline traffic "grid lock", try driving through Airport Road, then onto Cecil Ashburn, fighting off all your neighbors who live in Hampton Cove & OXR, or jump on the South Pkwy traffic for the folks heading South Huntsville. IMO, they are much worse than the CL traffic.

But like Brimsko said, these traffic are not bad compare to other bigger cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 08:53 AM

331 posts, read 511,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
If you consider the Countyline traffic "grid lock", try driving through Airport Road, then onto Cecil Ashburn, fighting off all your neighbors who live in Hampton Cove & OXR, or jump on the South Pkwy traffic for the folks heading South Huntsville. IMO, they are much worse than the CL traffic.

But like Brimsko said, these traffic are not bad compare to other bigger cities.

I understand that. I have worked in Philly and ATL. But I have also called the HSV area home since mid 90s. Madison traffic is terrible for the size city that it is and will continue to get worse, especially when you know how the town was before much of the relocation happened over the years. I dont compare Madison to these bigger cities but it can't grow anymore than it is and roads like Wall-Triana are a nightmare compared to the traffic it was meant to handle. God forbid a train come through during the afternoon rush combined with the school letting out right there after. To us non-transplant residents, this is considered gridlock style traffic.

Regards
Huffbuffer

Old 05-23-2013, 09:08 AM

252 posts, read 321,085 times
Sassy, sorry about the back and forth with some of the posters here. Some come on to argue their point for arguments sake. I apologize on their behalf. I tried to give you first hand knowledge to help you make a decision. It all depends on what you like and I hope the info and link I provided are helpful for you.

Best of luck to you and your family with your upcoming move!

Old 05-23-2013, 09:14 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,950,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffbuffer View Post
I understand that. I have worked in Philly and ATL. But I have also called the HSV area home since mid 90s. Madison traffic is terrible for the size city that it is and will continue to get worse, especially when you know how the town was before much of the relocation happened over the years. I dont compare Madison to these bigger cities but it can't grow anymore than it is and roads like Wall-Triana are a nightmare compared to the traffic it was meant to handle. God forbid a train come through during the afternoon rush combined with the school letting out right there after. To us non-transplant residents, this is considered gridlock style traffic.

Regards
Huffbuffer
OK I see where you're coming from. Yes the good old days... I had a job offer here in 1988 and there was not a I-565 back then.

I think that is why they widened the CL road to accommodate the growth and, if the ALDOT ever put in that on/exit on CL & I-565, that area will explode with growth west of CL and all those open farmland with be replaced by subdivisions.... Welcome to progress!

I hear the rumbling of Sweetwater development off the interchange at I-65 & I-565 that suppose to bring over 4,000 jobs. This area is growing.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:22 AM

282 posts, read 687,330 times
If I worked from home and could live anywhere in AL, I would live near the beach. They got to have at least one really good school system down there. That just me though.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:29 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,262,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggaeBusRider View Post
I have lived in Owens Cross Roads (Hampton Cove area) for 3 years
Hampton Cove Middle (grades 6-8) was built last year.

Hampton Cove
HUH???

I guess since you lived there three years then you would know that

Hampton Cove Middle was built and opened in 2003....not last year

@Floridasassy.....you just need to come for a visit and decide for yourself and your family. I find most people tend to fall in love with one area or the other....they both have good schools, great neighborhoods/housing, but they are DIFFERENT.

I, too, was very conflicted when we moved here between HC and Madison at first but after spending a few days in each we knew where we wanted to be.....Madison is NOT for everyone, and on the flip HC is not for everyone either. If you have any questions, feel free to ask away....and hopefully everyone will stay out of a Madison versus HC bash fest and just give you the facts and HELPFUL information.

The big negative about HC.....and this is from my HC friends, not myself personally....is the drive to HSV High School from HC. Its not very convenient and many of my friends with HS age kids do not want them driving from HC over the mountain to HHS. Maybe ONE day they will get their own high school, but I don't see that happening ANYTIME soon.

But beware of the trolls

Old 05-24-2013, 05:48 AM

LCT, you are correct. It is Goldsmith-Schiffman Elementary School on Taylor Road that was built last year (or so). I have a friend that lives next to it and said it was the new middle school... go figure? Thanks for the correction.

@Floridasassy, check out the link I provided in the prior post. It has detailed info that will help you and is not based on my memory, which sometimes fails me.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:42 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,262,401 times
Yes, and the opening of GSES has done TREMENDOUS things for HC, mainly helping the extremely overcrowded population of Hampton Cove Elementary

Old 05-24-2013, 09:21 AM

944 posts, read 1,185,697 times
As a brand new transplant from Northern Virginia I can honestly say I love it here, we live in Huntsville, Lake Forest division (cannot for the life of me call it a sub-division, due to the layout & size of properties & what we came from) - we're right next to Madison, 5 minutes from hubby's work & Redstone - traffic? What traffic?? I work from home (no kids), so I don't have to battle any traffic & compared to what we came from, traffic is zip, zilch, nada! I've driven here now during all times of the day, morning "rush hour" & afternoons & evenings...I love, love the fact that 15 miles takes no more than 20-25 minutes if that...people are friendly, the area is beautiful & cost of living is mind-blowingly low compared to NoVa...I don't worry about the H'ville/Madison debate, I see it as one area :-) (let the bashing begin) - having only been to southern AL, namely Foley & Mobile, H'ville/Madison was NOTHING like what I expected! It truly is a well hidden gem & this is our last move!

Old 05-24-2013, 09:34 AM

@Becky... no one can bash that statement... spot on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area