Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 01:21 PM

331 posts, read 507,550 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where I could get some catalpa worms in the HSV area?

Regards
Huffbuffer the fisherman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 02:01 PM

2,959 posts, read 3,500,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffbuffer View Post

Regards
Huffbuffer the fisherman
or sometimes called Catawba..online might be the easiest route

Old 05-23-2013, 11:21 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,850,967 times
Hey Huffbuffer,

You are a fisherman? What do you fish for? I am assuming you use live worms?

I had success using plastic worm on bass.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:42 AM

252 posts, read 318,585 times
Hey huffer, I hope to find the best place to get some catalpa worms too. Was fishing at Guntersville Dam for cats with chx livers and not catching anything. The guy next to me was pulling catfish out almost every cast and he was using some worms he pulled out of the freezer? I though he was a loon, but I think he was using catalpas? Is it really possible to freeze them and use "live bait" months later when ready to troll the banks? I thought this was a myth but now I am starting to wonder!!

Thanks for jarring my memory and great post.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:08 AM

331 posts, read 507,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Hey Huffbuffer,

You are a fisherman? What do you fish for? I am assuming you use live worms?

I had success using plastic worm on bass.

I prefer the salt waters of the Atlantic but it is rare that I can just go fish up some flounder and grouper. So I do the lazy fishing in the fresh waters here more close to home. Catfish is basically just throw a line out and drink a beer. I have been using a combination of chicken liver(for the blood) and half rotted shrimp(for the stench) for catfishing. But that method is just to messy and doesnt improve the taste of beer when you accidentally get some in your can. I was told about the worm about a month ago at a black jack table and had to do some research. Now I am hooked and want to give it a try. My friend told me to try a noodling technique but not sure how to squeeze beer into that scenario.

@Reggie - I am not sure how that would work but if that is true, then I will definitely be ordering some off of Amazon or the like and shipping them out here. I will fish the waters clean of all catfish in the North Alabama area.

Regards
Huffbuffer

Old 05-24-2013, 10:01 AM

Thanks for the tip, Huffbuffer. I will try the rotted shrimp method.

I did find a way to keep my bait stench/juice out of my beer. Before I bait the first hook, I open all beers and place them in cooler. The key is to use bottles and keep them in the six pack holder... then surround with ice. The only drawback is the later beers stale some... much better than liver juice on the lips though!

Old 05-24-2013, 01:56 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,850,967 times
Quote:
I prefer the salt waters of the Atlantic but it is rare that I can just go fish up some flounder and grouper.
I know what you mean. I was a saltwater fisherman from Southern California and I too miss the ocean fishing, whether is just a few miles off shore or go across the channel to Catalina Island , or drive up to Satan Barbara/ Avila Beach in San Luis Obispo (SLO), down to San Diego for multi-day long range fishing, I was into it all. It is not all about the fish, though I learned a great deal on how to filet, cook, smoke and eat them well.

These days I have to "lighten up" my fishing gear to 12 ~ 15# for the occasional wetting line at the Guntersville Dam but it still a good day out and enjoy the nature... and fishing. So far I have luck using plastic on Stripe Bass & Small Mouth.

I did spent a 1/2 day fishing at Wallops, VA on flounder. Did not catch anything but, as you know, God gives you extra 3 days of your time on earth for everyday you spend on fishing !

Old 06-02-2013, 09:06 AM

If this is true, I have a buddy that will live to 600. He can't pass a puddle without dropping a line in it!

Old 09-11-2013, 01:04 PM

44 posts, read 58,773 times
Quote:

Regards
Huffbuffer the fisherman
I order them online from the bait barn. Very expensive and very worth it. 60 worms will cost you round $40 but you can bait with half a worm. MAKE SURE you freeze them as soon as they arrive. I have used 3 months after freezing and they came back to life without incident. No other catfish bait compares.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:43 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,748,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG3jonesvalley View Post
...60 worms will cost you round $40...
Yikes, I'll just use Filet Mignon - it's cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area