Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 07:09 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,279,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
The entire program including the facilities is just a mess and it is near impossible to have an enjoyable time.....even when you get free tickets.
I agree with most here.

I have been many times over the years, it's been 15yrs since I was there on a packed night, not a holiday night.

The food was better when I was a kid, when I was too young to know. I went to a catered even there 2yrs ago for an afternoon game in Spring, it was a beautiful day and the food was great! But if I eat at the concession it is awful.

I can honestly say when or if it moves downtown, I will be there opening night! I would head out if it weren't such a sad field.

Although all this talk makes me want to go. I just saw "Trouble with the Curve" it's got me in a baseball mood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 08:14 AM

445 posts, read 771,003 times
I got autographs from Mark Mcguire and ozzie Canseco there when I was a kid

Old 06-06-2013, 10:41 AM

889 posts, read 2,398,647 times
I grew up going to Stars games in the 80s. There was a time when baseball games were THE place to be on weekends. I remember when Stars players like Rocky Coyle and Scott Brosius used to spend time with my high school team, teaching us drills and techniques. I always thought that was something special for those of us growing up in the city. I've taken my son to a few games the last couple years, but there's certainly no magic like the old days. I must confess I've had some business dealings with the team over the years as well. My perception from dealing with Stars management is a general apathy within the organization because they feel the City of Huntsville (as in city leaders) don't care about them. All I ever heard was grumbling about how the city (who owns the stadium) would not spend any money to make needed repairs anymore. They believe the city has washed their hands of the team and venue. I think the only way to save the Stars at this point is a new downtown stadium, whether it's privately or publicly funded, or a combination. I hope somehow they can save the team. I believe they are a very important part of our city. Having seen the revitalization of minor league baseball in towns like Birmingham, Montgomery, and Chattanooga with their new stadiums, I believe Huntsville can certainly do the same.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:13 AM

8 posts, read 13,011 times
I think the best thing that could happen would be for the Stars to move out of Huntsville. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. The Joe can be torn down at that point and when/if the city misses and wants another AA team, they will have to build a population dependent stadium. It doesn't have to be Regions Park or Riverwalk Stadium, but something where you feel like you are at an event. I love baseball and I don't need the San Diego Chicken to make it worth my while, but there are portions (a working scoreboard for one) that make the experience worth it. I have a RFCU account so tickets are $4 and that's just fine in this economy where my discretionary spending fund gets eaten up by gasoline and diapers.

HSV needs a stadium downtown. I saw someone mention it being part of the VBC "complex" and that would be great too. There's nothing around the Joe, except for emptying strip malls and industrial warehouses.

This isn't an easy situation for management or the city. But in all I think a break would be the best thing at this point. Being a Brewers organization isn't helping because I don't really have any love for them. If it was a Braves MiLB team, I'd go to a TON of games. I think being tied to an organization that is more successful would help, but I also realize the organization doesn't have much control of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area