Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 08:20 AM

394 posts, read 628,149 times

Advertisements

My cable bill is out of control so I'm looking at cutting the cord. Of course I'll keep the internet part of the bill which will be $50-$60. I checked the rabbit ears yesterday and all of the locals come in fine. I have netfix but that doesn't really have much interesting. I'm thinking about Hulu and may try it for a month. Has anyone in town "cut the cord"? The big things I will be missing in ESPN and HBO but I can live with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 08:27 AM

331 posts, read 511,097 times
Well it varies for individuals. My girlfriend LOVES Hulu as it has many of the shows she likes. I believe it is 8 bucks a month or something. For me, I don't watch too much television and the shows I do like are not available on Hulu. We did figure it up and even if I paid premium 40 dollars per show to watch the day after on my Xbox, our bill would still balance out to be WAY cheaper than the price we pay now. I couldn't quite bring myself to buy into this idea yet due to football season coming up. It is definitely going to rock the cable providers' world in the next couple of years. Streaming is going to be the means to watch television. But sadly, the same providers are pretty much without competition when it comes to internet. Expect to see that price skyrocket.

Regards
Huffbuffer

Old 06-27-2013, 08:37 AM

252 posts, read 321,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMadHatter View Post
My cable bill is out of control so I'm looking at cutting the cord. Of course I'll keep the internet part of the bill which will be $50-$60. I checked the rabbit ears yesterday and all of the locals come in fine. I have netfix but that doesn't really have much interesting. I'm thinking about Hulu and may try it for a month. Has anyone in town "cut the cord"? The big things I will be missing in ESPN and HBO but I can live with that.
Please let me know if you find alternatives to cable all together. Unfortunately, I can only get internet through cable. There is no DSL in my area so I am stuck... I have researched other options and continue to come up empty.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:48 AM

458 posts, read 617,061 times
I'm not sure if it'd be accurate to say that I've cut the cord simply because I never had a cord to cut. Never had cable/satellite myself. I currently have an antenna, hulu plus, and amazon prime. My wife and I are perfectly happy with this combo.

And if you want a cool antenna for your TV, try the Mohu Leaf. It's on amazon and it's literally the thickness of a few sheets of paper. It picks up every station within 30 miles of my house.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:08 AM

190 posts, read 412,984 times
Default Best decision I made

I cut the cord about 4 years ago. I still have DSL to stream Netflix and PBS shows mostly, sometimes I'll stream movies off Amazon. Also, I have ESPN3 streaming for free through AT&T. NBC Universal sometimes has my favorite fringe sports events available for free. So much online to choose from.... OTA signal is generally good from my location in Madison even with my antenna just mounted on the living room wall.

$48 per month beats $120 easy! Now that I'm not paying for cable, I find I watch much less TV, since I don't feel compelled to stay on the couch to get my money's worth .

Old 06-27-2013, 12:48 PM

523 posts, read 1,003,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffbuffer View Post
But sadly, the same providers are pretty much without competition when it comes to internet. Expect to see that price skyrocket.
...and bandwidth caps will slowly creep downward. Eventually streaming will be just as useless and unaffordable.

In the next 5-10 years I expect networks will stop over-the-air broadcasting and most programming will be PPV...especially sporting events.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:25 AM

331 posts, read 511,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackr View Post
There is a free site called CableCutterGuys which will walk you through the process. It helped me a lot and kept me from buying stuff I did not need.
Nice site, though a little old school html looking...but it does the job

Regards
Huffbuffer

Old 06-28-2013, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,732 times
I ditched Directv (and previously cable) and now have Hulu & Netflix through a Roku box. (I still have DSL which is provided by my employer.) Lots of current series offered on Hulu - doesn't bother me that I am one night behind since I usually DVRed before anyway. Need to pick up an antenna that will get a signal to the local stations over Chapman Mountain. If I want to watch the local news currently, I just stream it to my laptop or phone.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:32 PM

871 posts, read 2,884,381 times
I cut the cord about 7 years ago. Still use Knology for Internet and phone. Saved about $70 on my bill. HDTV with "rabbit ears" is actually sharper than cable since the image is uncompressed, straight from the source. No problem getting NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, CW, PBS in Madison. Just point the antenna at Monte Sano. Also have a Roku box with Netflix, Amazon, etc. Only thing I miss are the Alabama games on ESPN - but figure for $70 x 12 months, I can drink a lot of beer at my local establishment. Here is a great site to check your coverage: AntennaWeb - Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area