Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 06:10 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,126,163 times

Advertisements

I have to jump in my car as fast as I can in the mornings and as quickly as I do it, about 10 mosquitos enter with me. Ugh!
I live in the woods.. and by in the woods I mean....In the woods. I want to put bat houses out all over to help combat the skeeters but we have owls nesting nearby and they are the enemy of bats and run them out.
But, If I didn't have the owls, I would definitely put out some bat houses. I think they're easier to attract than the purple martins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 06:22 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,287,508 times
When we lived in Louisiana, I bought Avon Skin So Soft in large quantities. Lots of folks down there use it to keep the skeeters at bay.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:11 PM

68 posts, read 115,709 times
Skin So Soft does work. Avon makes many variations. The best is the original oil. I just don't like the oily feeling. You need to put a lot on and the fragrance can be a bit overwhelming. I do like the fact that there is no DEET in it so I feel more comfortable with my kids using it. OFF makes a "family" version that has a lower DEET concentration, it seems to work. We go for long walks every evening and we use repellent as well as the OFF clip on things (not sure what they are called). The bugs seem so much worse this summer as compared to last year.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:37 AM

87 posts, read 139,829 times
I'm a fan of skinsosoft.. and Olay body wash in the yellowyorange variety must have the same stuff LOL Do a detailed inspection of your entire property for 'standing water' and make plans to remedy those areas.. make sure your gutters are clean..

Other than that? not much else to do. The foggers/sprayers work poorly and the vector control program is mostly PR.. along with killing bees <grumble mutter> a spray droplet must touch an adult on the wing to harm it..so no 'protection' from the next generation.

You cannot stop the spraying in your neighborhood, or around your house, so if you have veggies, you can contact them and they will call you so you can at least cover herbs/greens. Washing 'fruiting' veggies (peppers/tomatoes) will get rid of the residue.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:47 AM

252 posts, read 321,331 times
The best repellant I have found is Coleman from Dick's Sporting. It is 40% deet. What is the concern with deet?

Old 07-27-2013, 11:42 AM

68 posts, read 115,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggaeBusRider View Post
The best repellant I have found is Coleman from Dick's Sporting. It is 40% deet. What is the concern with deet?
There have been some studies suggesting that it is toxic, particularly for children. I am not sure just how toxic but I don't like using high concentrations on my kids. I know that Canada has banned the sale of insect repellents with DEET concentrations over 30%. My pediatrician recommended trying to stay with concentrations under 30% with children and washing it off after use. I think he may be more worried about them rubbing it in their eyes, etc. I have found that the effectiveness of the repellent goes down with diminishing DEET concentration. I try to buy the brands labeled "family" (which generally have a lower DEET concentration) and make sure my kids take a shower before they go to bed. We also use the clip-on things (in addition) when it seems like the bugs are bad. I may be over reacting to the whole DEET issue, I guess I am an over protective mother!

Old 07-30-2013, 07:10 AM

331 posts, read 511,265 times
I dont buy into all that hype. DEET all the way for family Huffbuffer.

Regards
Huffbuffer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area