Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 11:35 AM

2 posts, read 2,850 times

Advertisements

I just would like to say that I have been in Huntsville (Providence) for 4 mo. & I hate it. I've lived in Birmingham as well. We are looking to move to Athens or one of the more rural areas. I was born & raised in Cullman, Alabama. Which has a bad rap for being a racist town. UNTRUE! However, there is a very noticeable separation of social classes, ethnicities, & religions. I've never been treated so rudely just by smiling at people who may be richer or poorer than me. I think everyone "cliques" w/ their own kind which is very much not for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 2,850 times
If this message isn't too old & anyone has any suggestions as to how I might overcome this obstacle of living in Huntsville, I would greatly appreciate it. I really thought that Huntsville was more diverse than this. In Birmingham it's very diverse, but at least you have an opportunity to mingle w/ people of backgrounds. I left Cullman to experience a different culture, & didn't realize it was worse here.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:57 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula.hallbauer View Post
If this message isn't too old & anyone has any suggestions as to how I might overcome this obstacle of living in Huntsville, I would greatly appreciate it. I really thought that Huntsville was more diverse than this. In Birmingham it's very diverse, but at least you have an opportunity to mingle w/ people of backgrounds. I left Cullman to experience a different culture, & didn't realize it was worse here.
You should post in the Huntsville forum section if you're honestly looking for advice.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:55 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
I moved your post to the Huntsville forum. I am confused about what you are looking for in Huntsville that you haven't found there. If you are young perhaps there are not places to go to meet new people. There are meetup groups depending on your interest you could join.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:37 PM

42 posts, read 62,100 times
Default Big Cove

Quote:
I just would like to say that I have been in Huntsville (Providence) for 4 mo. & I hate it. I've lived in Birmingham as well. We are looking to move to Athens or one of the more rural areas. I was born & raised in Cullman, Alabama. Which has a bad rap for being a racist town. UNTRUE! However, there is a very noticeable separation of social classes, ethnicities, & religions. I've never been treated so rudely just by smiling at people who may be richer or poorer than me. I think everyone "cliques" w/ their own kind which is very much not for me!
You should check out Big Cove/New Hope area. It is close enough to Huntsville but feels like the middle of nowhere. It seems like the closest thing we have to the pure down home goodness of Cullman. Bring on those All Steak rolls... umm umm.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:42 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,099 times
Quote:
Where is your job? Depending on its location, posters can make recommendations to avoid longer commutes.
What type of housing are you looking for?
Renting? Buying?
Price range?
Age?
Married?
Kids? Ages?

Old 09-02-2013, 08:37 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,125,092 times
What I don't really understand is that you are looking for cultural diversity AND rural? In the south? I think cities are going to present you with more diversity and yes..compared to many other cities (most probably) Huntsville isn't extremely diverse although, it is much more diverse than it was 30 yrs ago.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:34 PM

944 posts, read 1,186,065 times
I agree with Writerwife, what exactly are you looking for? I've never been to Cullman, just moved to H'ville in May - so I don't know what it's like there, compared to here - but, considering it's only a 50 mile difference, I'd venture to say you have to leave the state to get the 'diversity' you're looking for? I haven't ran across any cliquish behavior from anyone...just friendly people everywhere I've gone (in 5 months) - are you looking for different nationalities? I can count 5 just within 10-15 houses around me...I wouldn't think rural & diversity goes hand in hand either - is it your neighborhood you're not liking? The people, ethnicity, nationalities? Young, old, in between? Most cities in the US tend to have separate ethnicities in separate areas...I know it's generalization, but it tends to be the norm...unless you live in much, much bigger cities, like DC metro - where you'll find 10-15 different nationalities on one street...but, for the most part you'll find Hispanics in one area, Orientals in another...hope you find what you're looking for...if you even know what it really is :-)

Old 09-03-2013, 07:27 AM

118 posts, read 430,514 times
It sounds like you may be a hippie chick; look into the Five Points area of Huntsville and hang out at Kaffeeklatsch.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:51 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,012 times
Yeah, Providence is rich, old white people.

It's like standing in the rain and being mad you're getting wet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area