Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 08:08 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,277,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
72 is a state highway. Improvements are supposed to be funded by the state along with maybe a small percentage from the city. However, the state doesn't do it's part and kicks projects down the road like a can. They have pushed many projects back 10 and 20 years that were supposed to have been completed 10 or 20 years ago already. For instance, the widening/four lane work for 53 was supposed to have been done 20 years ago. I can remember that project being surveyed and re-engineered at least 4 times over 15 years before they finally started. Another example and this is a good one, the widening of 431/Governors Drive through the hospital district. That is also a state highway and the city finally got tired of waiting for the state and completely funded and built that themselves. It cost the city millions but it is one of those things that needed to have been done 20 years ago and at the rate the state was going it would have been another 20.

Basically, we are sending tax revenue to ALDOT and they are squandering most of it running around in circles. In my opinion, we need to clean house at ALDOT from top to bottom and start fresh. Maybe we could get someone in there that can build roads instead of hiring office staff to sit around and come up with excuses and projections.
Perhaps get a director from NORTH alabama. It would be a start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 10:51 AM

329 posts, read 511,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Dave View Post
I mean in the future, it would be nice to see Slaughter Rd get widened AND THEN developed, not the other way around.
You should know by now BMW Dave that they always do the infrastructure part of development last.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingsoc75 View Post
You should know by now BMW Dave that they always do the infrastructure part of development last.
I know, but I was hoping some of the Research park forethought could rub off on Slaughter? I mean they are so close.

Maybe it's communicable???

Old 09-11-2013, 11:41 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,055,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Dave View Post
I know, but I was hoping some of the Research park forethought could rub off on Slaughter? I mean they are so close.

Maybe it's communicable???
The problem with Slaughter is that parts of it are owned by Huntsville, Madison and Madison County. They can never agree on who will pay what part of the bill to expand. That's why it was only repaved a few years ago instead of widening it between OMP and 72.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:26 PM

34 posts, read 45,884 times
According to the city (Hsv), Slaughter is going to be widened in 2017. (I'm not holding my breath.) I think what it really needs is a greenway (ala Hughes Road) and a suicide lane the entire length. Traffic doesn't really back up anymore now that the intersection with 72 is fixed except when people are trying to turn left off Slaughter.

I am not looking forward to attempting to turn *onto* Slaughter Road once the OMP closure starts.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
The problem with Slaughter is that parts of it are owned by Huntsville, Madison and Madison County. They can never agree on who will pay what part of the bill to expand. That's why it was only repaved a few years ago instead of widening it between OMP and 72.
Good point about HSV and Madison owning different parts. I keep forgetting that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadNick View Post
According to the city (Hsv), Slaughter is going to be widened in 2017. (I'm not holding my breath.) I think what it really needs is a greenway (ala Hughes Road) and a suicide lane the entire length. Traffic doesn't really back up anymore now that the intersection with 72 is fixed except when people are trying to turn left off Slaughter.

I am not looking forward to attempting to turn *onto* Slaughter Road once the OMP closure starts.
I had only heard rumors about Slaughter. Good to know there is actually a plan!

And thank you for posting level headed comments, Welcome MadNick!

Old 09-11-2013, 07:42 PM

168 posts, read 311,036 times
ALDOT is why I really wish HSV were part of Tennessee. Our roads would be paved in gold if we actually kept our tax revenue in town.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:09 AM

34 posts, read 45,884 times
Here's the city plan for the TIP money 2012-2015:
http://www.huntsvilleal.gov/Planning...cs/2012TIP.pdf
(PDF, project list starts page 38)

Here's the 2035 Transportation plan:
http://www.huntsvilleal.gov/Planning...al2035plan.pdf
(From 2010, PDF, project list starts page 60.)
Slaughter Road is slated for a paved bike lane and sidewalk. Bike lane map page 137.

I don't see where I got 2017 from, but I live off Slaughter Road so I pay attention to that in particular and it stuck in my head from somewhere. I might have picked it up at the Madison Growth Plan meetings, although Madison ignores Slaughter Road almost entirely.

I think a lot of their plans have gang aft agley lately, though.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:41 PM

137 posts, read 231,228 times
As far as Old Madison and that bridge, I was at a town hall earlier this week with a couple counsel men and both mayors of huntsville and Madison. It was primarily to discuss the widening of Zierdt and Martin roads, but Madison bridge came up, and yes, it will be replaced, but at the cost of Old Madison wil be COMPLETELY closed at that point for about 9 months while they construct the new bridge. Going to be a lot of pains and holler then folks, but it will be nice in the end when it's finally done...

Old 09-13-2013, 08:37 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,034,158 times
Old Madison Pike closed for 9 months!

I would say Epic Fail, but it has to be done. I'm curious how Hwy 20 will be at Slaughter and Houghes during that time. And I suppose on the road that's on the other side of Zeirdt near Publix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area