Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 09:22 AM

82 posts, read 140,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadNick View Post
I think Whole Foods would do well here, but Fresh Market would go out of business.
Fresh Market has been in Huntsville for about 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 10:21 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,277,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhsv View Post
Fresh Market has been in Huntsville for about 5 years.
I think it's been around for a while longer. I remember distinctly going there back in '08 and hearing about it way back into 2007. Neither time was it considered "New".

I don't think Fresh Market would go anywhere, unless the Whole Foods opened down the street in Jones Valley or something. That would be bad...

Old 09-25-2013, 11:45 AM

14 posts, read 35,320 times
I wish 72 become at least 3 lanes on both sides of the road.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sttimebuyer256 View Post
I wish 72 become at least 3 lanes on both sides of the road.
That is already happening.

Just got approval earlier this month.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:07 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,205,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Dave View Post
That is already happening.

Just got approval earlier this month.

Only for a ~2 mile section between Balch and Hughes. The rest will still be 2 lanes on each side.

So, 72 will go from 3 lanes in Huntsville to two at Providence, then back to 3 at Hughes and back down to 2 a couple miles down the road at Balch...makes perfect sense to me!

Old 09-25-2013, 03:35 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
...So, 72 will go from 3 lanes in Huntsville to two at Providence, then back to 3 at Hughes and back down to 2 a couple miles down the road at Balch...makes perfect sense to me!
LOL - they're just turning those sections into drag strips .
About as fun as the "NASCAR turn" where Madison Blvd goes from two lanes to a single lane entering I-565 - it's amazing what people will do to get ahead on that turn.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
LOL - they're just turning those sections into drag strips .
About as fun as the "NASCAR turn" where Madison Blvd goes from two lanes to a single lane entering I-565 - it's amazing what people will do to get ahead on that turn.
Just think how LITTLE it would cost to add a full outside right lane and dedicate it to the hundreds of Arsenal folks who would use it every day of the week!

Old 09-26-2013, 12:31 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
I wish Huntsville would accelerate the construction of a greenway system. I would love to see the entire Pinhook Creek watershed greenway'd up - Dallas Branch, Fagan Creek, Broglan Branch, Normal Branch, et alia all flow into the Pinhook near downtown then on to Lowe Mill and John Hunt Park (and then through the Arsenal to the Tennessee River at Triana). The greenway could provide a safe walking and bicycling infrastructure complementary to Memorial Parkway (major North - South thoroughfare).

IMO the greenway system would be the City's most important public transportation project. Sidewalks are the foundation of public transportation.

Greenways also serve to mitigate water pollution - one of the most polluted monitoring sites in Huntsville is Pinhook Creek at Johnson / Airport Road.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:44 PM

34 posts, read 45,884 times
I agree. They want to revitalize liven up downtown? They need it to be more than a place you drive and park, but instead the hub of a active population that can get there easily, and get from attraction to attraction easily, too.

When I lived in Sacramento, I loved the fact I could board a lightrail station in half a mile that went downtown for nightlife, then pop back on and go home. It wasn't a large lightrail system -- it really only connected parts of the city with downtown -- but it was a good start. But that would be a project, IMO, that is secondary to safe pedestrian, wheelchair and bike transportation facilities.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:54 PM

152 posts, read 240,782 times
My needs are simple.

1. An honest-to-goodness REAL snow-cone stand. Preferably with bubblegum flavor on the menu.
2. A store that sells STRAWBERRY Icees. Not cherry, not strawberry-lemonde. STRAWBERRY.

A hearty Internet High-Five to anybody who can find these in the HSV-Madison area.

Coog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area