Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 02:13 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,277,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
I still hate Belk. Even more now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 06:51 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,083,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Von Maur required a $25 million dollar commitment from the city of Hoover to build that store.....more than Macy's or Nordstroms would have required from HSV.....so I doubt very seriously unless Von Maur does a complete 180 that they can come to any terms in bringing a Von Maur here

Granted, that store will bring in much more tax revenue than a HSV store would, as that has become a "shopping destination" for people all over Alabama, but Von Maur will still probably require a healthy monetary kick back from the city and we have all seen how HSV tends to deal with those.

You got this totally turned around.

Von Maur got nothing from Hoover.

GGP and Jim Wilson and Associates, co-owners of the Galleria made a deal with the city to get $25million in tax credits based on THEM SPENDING $100MILLION on revamping and bringing in new stores including a major dept. store and restaurants. The tax credits would only come out of receipts above the current tax levels at the time of the constructions start.

They have just turned the records in to Hoover to verify the amount spent. They also have a reduction of the credits in place for levels reached below $100million.

Also, this is not a job done. The expansion and total redo of Belk starts in January with Macy's later in the year.
GGP has lease opening over the next three years that are going to be used to expand and bring in more new businesses, not just in the mall, but surrounding land.

So,,,,,,,,,,,,I don't think Huntsville will have to pay Von Maur. But I would not be surprise if a developer asks for help providing infrastructure. Not something a city has to do. It is just a request. There are choices.

I hope this clarified this some. (there are a lot of online news articles that confirm the arrangements.

An aside; Von Maur's preferred construction company from Stl Louis built their store as they have the last three and the one currently under construction.
GGP used another construction firm which to my eyes was inferior.

raj

Old 11-07-2013, 06:22 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
I did NOT like the fact that they stuck the women's plus sizes up on the third floor, beside the tiny little home/holiday section, same floor as kids clothes.
I don't know anything about Von Maur, but this is worth noting in my memory banks.

So, are they an enter-into-the-junior's-section type store or enter-halfway-between-the-men's-and-women's type? Please tell me not an enter to jewelry!

Old 11-07-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
I don't know anything about Von Maur, but this is worth noting in my memory banks.

So, are they an enter-into-the-junior's-section type store or enter-halfway-between-the-men's-and-women's type? Please tell me not an enter to jewelry!

What is an...........'ENTER-INTO-?..........TYPE STORE?

RAJ

Old 11-07-2013, 11:41 AM

When you first walk into it, what are you facing? All stores (besides online) have an entrance. Things are planned. I'm just curious what products the entrance or entrances face you into.

Basically, if the store puts the Juniors section or jewelry in front of me, it's like finding a skull stuck on a stick in the middle of the jungle. Stay away, Core, go back.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:30 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Theres two exterior entrances and two mall entrances. So I think they have you covered. Just pick the one that's the least offensive.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Theres two exterior entrances and two mall entrances. So I think they have you covered. Just pick the one that's the least offensive.

@ corelysium

I'm going to expand on what my buddy wrote here because he is a little off.

There are SIX EXTERIOR ENTRANCES and two interior entrances.

Main parking entrance to level one, main office tower flyover entrance to level three, north level two entrance, north level one entrance, south level two entrance, south level one entrance. and mall levels one and two.

From the mall on level one, Bridge collecions on the left, and womens shoes on the right all the way back to the north level one. The other side of north level one is jewelry.

South level one is has cosmetics on the right and casual wear on the left. Main parking has dresses.

North level two has mens' suits and furnishings and young mens' concepts

South level two has mens' shoes on the right and mens's casual wear and active wear on the left.

From the mall on level two, moderate sportswear, petites, and activewear.

From office tower level three, children's shoes on the right and children's clothing on the left with women's sportswear and lingerie just beyond.

Now, if I understood you correctly this should give you some idea about approaching the store. I suppose the biggest difference to me is that with the majority of dept. stores one of the entrances from the mall usually comes right into the middle of cosmetics, which I have always thought women would find off putting.

But in fact, Macy's is the only Galleria store that has cosmetics at a mall entrance.

By the way, park on either the north or south garage at level five to directly enter the store at level three.

To enter the north or south level two entrances , park on level three. All others are ground garage or at store front. (usually no spaces)

I hope this provided some insight but I am wondering if you are kidding about being bothered by what is at the entry points.

best wishes,
raj

Last edited by raj kapoor; 11-07-2013 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 11-07-2013, 11:16 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Ha ha exactly. What a strange way to rate a department store. You must hate walking into virtually all of them with that kind of criteria.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:44 AM

I was kidding, but your analysis was entertaining.

That said, I might just remember the info for South Level 2.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:16 AM

121 posts, read 164,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
Oh, the family is very tall, all over six feet, so they really care about tall men who tend to be neglected in the industry too much.
What about tall women who have always been extremely neglected by the industry? (Although now at least we can order tall sizes online from some stores - though it is rare to find something that fits in a local store.)

Add me to the list of those who miss Parisian and would love to have this store in the HSV area.

I hate Belk too, and never shop there. It's such a shame that they are going to be at Bridge Street, and even worse that it will be one of their crappy-level stores rather than their flagship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area