Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 03:14 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
If you start adding extras the price can really add up. Extras include DVR, HD, outlet charges, Premium Channels, Pay-Per-View, etc. We used to pay for a TV package for our main TV and hooked up our other TVs without paying extra. I even used a tuner on my PC for no extra charge. Now every TV requires some sort of outlet charge. My main TV has a HD/DVR ($17.95/month) and my two other TVs require a Digital Adapter ($1.99/month each). Even the digital HD tuner on my PC has an outlet charge ($7.45/month).

I switched from Knology (aka WOW) to Comcast in about 2001 because they were the first one to offer high-speed internet (HSI) in my neighborhood. The speed was 1.5Mbps. This is slow by today's standard but was pretty good considering it was 50 times faster than dialup with HiWAAY internet.

Knology wasn't too happy with me dropping them but had been promising internet service in my area for a year but hadn't come through. Comcast was eager to get me as a customer by offering free installation. That including wiring the inside of my home for the cable to my modem. The price was $65 per month for 1 year (regular $120). I got HSI + Expanded Basic TV + Showtime + HBO.

Comcast is aggressive in their sales. I only knew about Comcast offering internet in my neighborhood because they were going door to door passing out fliers. Just last year I upgraded by service because they were going door to door offering really good package deals. Knology has never done that and only sends things in the mail.
Here's what you do: I moved last year and went to transfer my service. I said, "if you can't offer me a deal, I'm switching providers." They gave me the FULL MONTY (or whatever): Full Digital package, free HDTV, two free movie channels (HBO and Starz), everything (700 channels) but the premium sports channels and Espanol, free DVR, full internet with WIFI router AND home phone service.

MONTHLY BILL: $99!

I'm not going to lie and say the service is perfect; I've had issues with the DVR, and the main digital box has the bad habit of shutting itself off at the most inconvenient times. Every morning about 4 a.m., the entire system shuts down and reboots itself, which means if you're recording something or staying up late on the internet, you get kicked off. Also, the remote is terribly finicky. But for $99 a month, I'm willing to put up with it.

Now, I fully expect them to try and up-charge me for all that stuff in March when my current contract is due up again. I'll just drop everything and go back to basic service, or threaten to leave again!

Works every time.

Comcast is fighting hard to keep customers, and if you're smart and aggressive they'll give you the moon to keep you a customer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 05:41 PM

283 posts, read 434,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
Don't call them "knowledge tools." It hurts their feelings.

"Techs" or maybe "Network Operations Call Representatives."
lol, so wrong. It was definitely a wierd title. My boss and I couldn't figure out anything better, so that was my job title 'Knowledge Tools Development'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveDime View Post
The only remotely plausible piece of advice from one of them was to "go to the store." I have neither the time nor the inclination to take time off from work and go stand in line in their crummy little building on Max Luther to try and accomplish what I should be able to get done over the phone. So, buh-bye, Comcast.
The one thing that I've learned is that person-to-person is still the only reliable way to get business done. No one signs a multi-million dollar deal with an 'esignature' over email, no one signs a global contract over a video conference, and no one gets anything fixed or corrected unless they go in person. Yes, it's a hassle that shouldn't happen in the first place. But before phones, how did business get done? I have one guess...

Old 12-01-2013, 10:36 AM

1,420 posts, read 1,591,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Here's what you do: I moved last year and went to transfer my service. I said, "if you can't offer me a deal, I'm switching providers." They gave me the FULL MONTY (or whatever): Full Digital package, free HDTV, two free movie channels (HBO and Starz), everything (700 channels) but the premium sports channels and Espanol, free DVR, full internet with WIFI router AND home phone service.

MONTHLY BILL: $99!

I'm not going to lie and say the service is perfect; I've had issues with the DVR, and the main digital box has the bad habit of shutting itself off at the most inconvenient times. Every morning about 4 a.m., the entire system shuts down and reboots itself, which means if you're recording something or staying up late on the internet, you get kicked off. Also, the remote is terribly finicky. But for $99 a month, I'm willing to put up with it.

Now, I fully expect them to try and up-charge me for all that stuff in March when my current contract is due up again. I'll just drop everything and go back to basic service, or threaten to leave again!

Works every time.

Comcast is fighting hard to keep customers, and if you're smart and aggressive they'll give you the moon to keep you a customer.
The deal I got last December was:
HD Preferred Plus XF Triple Play $99.99 (regular $184.55)
HD DVR free for 6 months (regular $17.95)

When you tell them you want to drop or downgrade your service they will transfer you to the retention department. Once there you can see if they have any new deals to get you to stay with them.

My deal ends this month so I will be calling them in January to see if they have anything I can live with. I certainly can't afford to pay over $200 a month.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:41 PM

230 posts, read 387,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamirD View Post
The one thing that I've learned is that person-to-person is still the only reliable way to get business done. No one signs a multi-million dollar deal with an 'esignature' over email, no one signs a global contract over a video conference, and no one gets anything fixed or corrected unless they go in person. Yes, it's a hassle that shouldn't happen in the first place. But before phones, how did business get done? I have one guess...
Sound advice, except...this is not a multi-million dollar deal, it is $100+ a month; and it is 2013, not 1813. A telecommunications company that is supposedly "bending over backwards to keep customers" needs to do better. Period.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveDime View Post
Sound advice, except...this is not a multi-million dollar deal, it is $100+ a month; and it is 2013, not 1813. A telecommunications company that is supposedly "bending over backwards to keep customers" needs to do better. Period.
I've gone to Knology to fix my billing over just a few dollars (like under 6). I'd agree with you that it's a waste of time if the company isn't willing to do anything, but sometimes you have to use the communicaiton medium that works. Companies are finding that out as they post stuff on facebook vs their own web site.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:27 PM

13 posts, read 19,646 times
Comcast is very difficult to deal with online. If you want to downgrade services you cannot do it without calling and they will hound you to keep the bill high. The rep actually told me "that is not what you want to do" when I called to drop landline because we all have mobile phones. I had to listen to the "what about emergencies spill". If you want to add services, it takes less than a minute. This is a terrible business practice IMHO.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:02 PM

1,644 posts, read 3,034,158 times
Always start the conversation with "I don't want to leave Comcast, but I can get the same services for cheaper elsewhere, and..." and then tell them what you called about.

That will make them change scripts.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:11 PM

458 posts, read 617,006 times
I was looking at Comcast's page today since I have to sign up with them soon. I noticed that they have changed their plans. You now get the following options:

a) really slow internet
b) really fast (expensive) internet
c) normal internet bundled with cable

I haven't called yet to find out if I can just get the normal, unbundled internet. I don't have cable or satellite (just an antenna) and that's the way I'd like to keep it. They seem to get you on the add-ons. The bundled cable is "digital". It's extra if you want HD, extra if you want to DVR, etc.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:49 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,007,241 times
Comcast was good when all you had to do was screw a cable into the back of your TV, and they had local people you could call on the phone.

Then we got the triple whammy: Cable modems, cable boxes, and distant call centers.

The modems and boxes are a crap shoot as to finding one that works reliably. Anytime one bites the dust, you know you're likely into several days of getting your service restored. If you get a device up and running the same day you're lucky. Problems usually revolve around activation. After going through the process innumerable times, the service magically is restored, without you knowing what you did different that made it happen.

The main culprit is that Comcast recycles these devices, and in my opinion, doesn't check out their functionality before issuing them to the next customer.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdtron View Post
I was looking at Comcast's page today since I have to sign up with them soon. I noticed that they have changed their plans. You now get the following options:

a) really slow internet
b) really fast (expensive) internet
c) normal internet bundled with cable

I haven't called yet to find out if I can just get the normal, unbundled internet. I don't have cable or satellite (just an antenna) and that's the way I'd like to keep it. They seem to get you on the add-ons. The bundled cable is "digital". It's extra if you want HD, extra if you want to DVR, etc.
That seems to be the norm these days. I noticed quite a few companies aren't even acknowledging that they have analog signal on their cable if you don't want a box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area