Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 06:21 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times

Advertisements

I am not a baseball fan but I have to agree with Southlander about loosing. I know the Tampa Bay Rays struggle to get fans to the stadium.

Their stadium is a dome and downtown too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 07:18 AM

140 posts, read 295,267 times
Baseball is a dying sport. Major League teams around the country are having trouble getting fans to go to games. I mean who wants to spend 3-4 hours watching a game with minimal action? Every other team sport has more action than baseball... Hockey, football, basketball, soccer.... Point is that maybe it isn't the stadium or location, maybe its the fact that the younger generation have been exposed to things with more and more stimulation and lets face it, baseball isn't very stimulating.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:08 AM

339 posts, read 628,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs2487 View Post
Baseball is a dying sport. Major League teams around the country are having trouble getting fans to go to games. I mean who wants to spend 3-4 hours watching a game with minimal action? Every other team sport has more action than baseball... Hockey, football, basketball, soccer.... Point is that maybe it isn't the stadium or location, maybe its the fact that the younger generation have been exposed to things with more and more stimulation and lets face it, baseball isn't very stimulating.
Driven by a compelling second half and competitive balance throughout the game, Major League Baseball finished the 2013 regular season with an attendance of 74,026,895, the sixth highest total of all-time, it was announced today. With another strong showing in 2013, all 10 of the highest season totals in Major League Baseball history have come in the last decade. (source: MLB Finishes 2013 With Sixth Best Attendance Total Ever; Last Decade Includes 10 Best-Attended Individual Seasons in MLB History | MLB.com: News)

Doesn't sound like MLB attendance is dying at all. Maybe growing slower than other sports (especially football) but it's far from dying. The problems with the Stars are the ownership, management, and stadium. We haven't attended a Stars game in years since one of our kids got diagnosed with a life threatening peanut allergy. We have however gone to Birmingham (old stadium) and Atlanta because those teams care about allergies and have sponsors to help with the game. I could never get anyone at the Stars who cared enough to discuss it.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:51 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeWilliams View Post
We have however gone to Birmingham (old stadium) and Atlanta because those teams care about allergies and have sponsors to help with the game. I could never get anyone at the Stars who cared enough to discuss it.
Birmingham just got a brand new stadium downtown and the Barons set the Southern League attendance record because of it. Many projects have spawned around it both residential and commercial.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:41 AM

82 posts, read 140,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I am not a baseball fan but I have to agree with Southlander about loosing. I know the Tampa Bay Rays struggle to get fans to the stadium.

Their stadium is a dome and downtown too.
The Rays' problem is that the stadium is in downtown St Petersburg. Getting there from Tampa is a hassle, especially on a weekday.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:41 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,606 times
If the tickets are cheap and the snacks good, I love any sport.

Put a Sweet Frog type place next door and I'll go, not regularly, but at least yearly.

I need to see a Charger game and eat "arena nachos."

Old 12-19-2013, 02:19 PM

151 posts, read 296,148 times
We went to see the Chattanooga Lookouts this year and the difference in the stadium compared to Joe Davis was striking. What a great environment for minor league baseball (Chattanooga). Maybe one day Huntsville can have an environment like that.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:49 PM

218 posts, read 277,910 times
I went to a Thirsty Thursday to watch the Asheville Tourists in Asheville a few years ago. Lots of fans in the stadium, had a good time. Went to a TT at Joe Davis a few months later...dead stadium. No "atmosphere", barely any fans. Never went to another game.

I had to admit I was spoiled by growing up in Birmingham and watching Bo Jackson/Michael Jordon play. Now that was fun!

Old 12-19-2013, 03:15 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r x f View Post
...I had to admit I was spoiled...watching Bo Jackson/Michael Jordan play...
I saw Michael Jordan ricochet a line drive off a woman's head at a Star's game. Who says Stars games aren't entertaining?

Old 12-19-2013, 03:24 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,207,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobo View Post
We went to see the Chattanooga Lookouts this year and the difference in the stadium compared to Joe Davis was striking. What a great environment for minor league baseball (Chattanooga). Maybe one day Huntsville can have an environment like that.
I used to live in Chattanooga and even though I'm not a huge baseball fan, we used to go to quite a few games. For a "smaller" city, it was great to be able to park downtown, eat at one of the many restaurants and then walk over to see a game, catch a movie at the huge downtown theater, go to the aquarium or one of the many other attractions. It oftentimes makes me realize how much the Huntsville downtown area is lacking, but it seems they are trying to improve the downtown area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area