Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 5,011 times

Advertisements

Well I recently got a great job offer to work in Huntsville, Alabama. It's better pay, great career opportunity, and a fantastic job. I've also read a lot about how huntsville has a lot of museums related to space/rockets (which is my favorite type of museum). Not to mention the average apartment rent is less than half of what I pay in NC. It's like a dream opportunity for me except I've got a pretty big hang-up: There's not much I fear in life more than tornadoes.

I just realised there have been major tornadoes rip through hunstville. It seems like one every 15 years (1974, 1989, 1995). It also didn't make me feel any better when I read a statistic that said Alabama is ranked #3 in the nation for "most likely to get killed by a tornado). This could turn into a long term position where I may live there for years. I have to make a decision if I'm going to take the position in the next 3 days since I would have to move there by December 1st to start.

Can someone who lives there perhaps give some "peace of mind" advice and/or confirm or deny the validity of my tornado fears. I really want the job, but if everyone who lives there lives with the reality that a "killer tornado" can and will likely strike at any time, that will make a difference.

I know there's a chance of a natural disaster occuring anywhere, but I don't want to relocate somewhere it's pretty much a given it will happen at any moment. Tornadoes are rare (almost non existant) where I live. We do get hurricanes but they don't really bother me since I'm pretty far inland.

Can anybody give me their own perspectives/thoughts on worrying about tornadoes there? Is this a common (and big) worry for the residents or more like a freak occurance that most people don't think about much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2006, 09:46 PM

10 posts, read 48,008 times
Invest in a good weather radio and build a "safe room" onto your house. My sister and b-i-l live in Florida, and have for 50 years. They have built a safe room into or onto every home they've ever built/lived in.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:27 AM

889 posts, read 2,397,628 times
Default they're overrated

I've lived in Huntsville most of my life and yeah, they happen from time to time. In 1989 we had a pretty bad one. I just moved back from hurricane country (Savannah, GA) and used to live in earthquake country (LA, CA) and blizzard country (Denver). Compared to those types of disasters, tornadoes are tame. They affect such relatively small areas and at least you have fair warning, unlike an earthquake.

I'd say your chances of being hit by a tornado living here are about as good as being stabbed in the heart by a stingray. Oh wait...that's happened twice recently. Seriously though, I don't even think about tornadoes. Build a 'safe room' or whatever, but I can think of better ways to spend my hard earned money than stressing over something so unlikely.

But we'd love to have you here in the Rocket City. This is an up and coming city for sure.

Old 10-22-2006, 12:17 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
I'm right in a Tornado Alley in central OK. Yes, we get a lot of tornados...I don't know how we compare with 'Bama.

But think of serious earthquake fault lines or offshore volcano/tsunami areas or hurricanes, etc. in so many parts of the country. Huge desert areas of the West which may face serious water issues in coming decades...there's potential hazards anywhere you go.

I imagine it is kind of like living in parts of Florida where there are lots of gators. Yes, they're there. Yeah, they get someone every once in a while. But you can't live your life in fear of the alligator (or tornado) that MIGHT get you. You just gotta live. Eventually, something will in fact get you anyway.

Personally, I hope to die by being swept up in a tornado and mauled to death by alligators who had also been sucked into the funnel.

Old 10-22-2006, 11:40 AM

976 posts, read 3,859,926 times
Huntsville is a really nice city. Has been going through a boom lately.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:35 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
It's odd. I was making my annual call to my father today who told me one of his best friends retired to Huntsville and absolutely loves it.

I thought it strange because this man is a fierce liberal and I thought he might feel a bit out of place in Alabama. That's probably just a misconception about the state on my part, though overall I figure it's gotta be pretty conservative.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:41 AM

51 posts, read 293,880 times
It seems every area has it's own natural disaster potential. Growing up in No. Ala., and living for some time in an area of Tennessee where tornadoes are a regular occurance, I'd have to tell you to make the move and not worry too much. Taking precautions, however, is also a good idea. A basement house, or a storm shelter are excellent investments and will increase the value of your property. Stay away from mobile homes if possible, and pay particular attention to how close your house is to large trees. Tornadoes CAN be devastating, but the damages are usually property related. Loss of life is not common, although it happens. If all precautions are taken, it is not likely. Good luck with your decision.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:01 PM

16 posts, read 107,483 times
Any Where You Live In The Southeast You Will Have Tornados

Old 11-29-2006, 09:58 AM

114 posts, read 602,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousAboutAl View Post
Can anybody give me their own perspectives/thoughts on worrying about tornadoes there? Is this a common (and big) worry for the residents or more like a freak occurance that most people don't think about much?

Your chances of being killed in a car wreck are AT LEAST 1000 times greater than being killed in a tornado. Think about it.

Old 11-29-2006, 03:16 PM

18 posts, read 66,796 times
Default Fear Not

Tornados are not as dangerous as a group of people who inflict terror. My advise is if you are going to worry about something maybe a nuke would resolve your fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area