Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 12:45 PM

6 posts, read 19,776 times

Advertisements

Everyone of City Data, I need your help.

I want to take a girl out, and shes really big on the outdoors and I just recently found out that she likes looking at the stars. Well living in the city, thats not really an option with all the city lights. Is there there a place in Harvest, Meridianville, or Hazel Green that I could drive my truck to, so we can just lay down and watch the stars? Preferably someplace safe (I conceal carry but I dont want to weigh into that risk), not on anyone's property even if they dont ever monitor and no where the police aren't going to get me for trespassing? I mean it wouldnt be too late like midnight or 1AM or anything, probably when it first gets dark. It would really help me out if anyone knew of any places like that near Huntsville, preferably less than a 30 minutes drive and not as sketchy is possible. (If that even is possible since I just asked everyone wheres a private dark place in town where police dont come)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 01:12 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,278,485 times
So you want to take a girl you DONT know, with a gun, somewhere dark and private where no one can hear her scream?

Maybe play it safe and take her to dinner and not get secluded.

Any women agree with me?

Old 01-12-2014, 01:32 PM

Wait wait wait, I think we're out of context lol. I know who she is, we've hung out before, we talk often. I just want to show her the South, you know, the sit in the truck bed outside and watch the stars, not the... Now that were here alone, you gotta die. I dont mind if cars drive by or anything, in fact it'll give us both peace of mind. You can only go out to eat, movies, walking Big Spring Park, The bars, etc... so many times...

Old 01-12-2014, 02:01 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
It takes a bit of distance to get away from light pollution. If you aren't stopping for very long, a lot of country church parking lots have people stopping by. Set up a small telescope and I doubt you'll have any problems. If you wanna go parking, good luck. One of our neighbors used to walk down the street near a haunted house attraction and shine her flashlight in on smoochers.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:00 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
What about the planetarium at Monte Sano State Park?
Von Braun Astronomical Society
It may not be private, but it would be a good start. If that went well, then you could suggest a trip out to that country church. The folks there might even know a few good places to go.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ02 View Post
Wait wait wait, I think we're out of context lol. I know who she is, we've hung out before, we talk often. I just want to show her the South, you know, the sit in the truck bed outside and watch the stars, not the... Now that were here alone, you gotta die. I dont mind if cars drive by or anything, in fact it'll give us both peace of mind. You can only go out to eat, movies, walking Big Spring Park, The bars, etc... so many times...
Hahaha! I was just messing with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
It takes a bit of distance to get away from light pollution. If you aren't stopping for very long, a lot of country church parking lots have people stopping by. Set up a small telescope and I doubt you'll have any problems. If you wanna go parking, good luck. One of our neighbors used to walk down the street near a haunted house attraction and shine her flashlight in on smoochers.
I have walked up on some interesting things in church parking lots...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
What about the planetarium at Monte Sano State Park?
Von Braun Astronomical Society
It may not be private, but it would be a good start. If that went well, then you could suggest a trip out to that country church. The folks there might even know a few good places to go.
Brilliant idea! Do this one.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:09 PM

211 posts, read 340,710 times
That entire area of wilderness enclosed by Arab, Cullman, and Hartselle - should be easy to find some privacy. I was out there star gazing back in late summer last year when the cotton fields were filling out. Really pretty.

EDIT: In terms of safety, it'll probably be more useful to have some water and a GPS enabled device than to have a gun.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:20 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
"EDIT: In terms of safety, it'll probably be more useful to have some water and a GPS enabled device than to have a gun."

Unless you run up on a wild hog, pack of coyotes or feral dogs, or rabid animal. (Have been hearing the coyote songs out here for a few weeks now.) At least we don't have bears (yet.)

Old 01-12-2014, 04:42 PM

Sounds great, I think Im going to do a mix of public and private. A buddy of mine told me about a pull off area on the mountain going up cecil ashburn, so Ill probably check that out, definitely not too far from the main road and close to civilization. Thanks for you help guys!

Old 01-12-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ02 View Post
Sounds great, I think Im going to do a mix of public and private. A buddy of mine told me about a pull off area on the mountain going up cecil ashburn, so Ill probably check that out, definitely not too far from the main road and close to civilization. Thanks for you help guys!
Oh yeah, I know that place, seems like it might be too bright though, the street lights are everywhere and not high enough.

It was a make out point back in the day, before my day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area