Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 06:44 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,769,107 times

Advertisements

I dunno.. they also had a light and water show called "the Glory of Easter" that told the whole Easter story (we were there within a few weeks of Easter)

Old 01-21-2014, 09:49 PM

1,644 posts, read 3,019,968 times
I'm actually able to tell my kid, when we see something that's not true, "Hey, that's not true."

(Usually advertisements.)

Oh, and here's a crop from a photo I took of my wife when we were in DC at the Jefferson Memorial. I didn't even realize what it said on the wall when I took it. It's long, so I just cropped the relevant part:

Old 01-21-2014, 10:37 PM

36,972 posts, read 40,972,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
I'm actually able to tell my kid, when we see something that's not true, "Hey, that's not true."

(Usually advertisements.)

Oh, and here's a crop from a photo I took of my wife when we were in DC at the Jefferson Memorial. I didn't even realize what it said on the wall when I took it. It's long, so I just cropped the relevant part:
Public money should not be used to expose children to a religious viewpoint that contradicts the scientific evidence that supports evolution, such as the idea that humans and dinosaurs coexisted.

Creationists are free to teach such ideas from the pulpit, in Sunday School, in schools paid for with church money, even from a street corner.

No tax support for their efforts, though, and not in a public school classroom. That includes a class transported to a religious education center during the course of a school day. If parents want to take their children, that is fine. Just not on the taxpayer's dime.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:51 PM

1,418 posts, read 1,573,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Public money should not be used to expose children to a religious viewpoint that contradicts the scientific evidence that supports evolution, such as the idea that humans and dinosaurs coexisted.

Creationists are free to teach such ideas from the pulpit, in Sunday School, in schools paid for with church money, even from a street corner.

No tax support for their efforts, though, and not in a public school classroom. That includes a class transported to a religious education center during the course of a school day. If parents want to take their children, that is fine. Just not on the taxpayer's dime.
If they had their way Creationism would be taught in public schools in Alabama. They tried and failed not that long ago.

Here is an excerpt from a article at The National Center for Science Education in 2012:
"When the last day of the regular legislative session of the Alabama legislature ended on May 16, 2012, a bill that would have established a credit-for-creationism scheme died. House Bill 133, if enacted, would have authorized "local boards of education to include released time religious instruction as an elective course for high school students.""

Credit-for-creationism scheme dies in Alabama
May 17th, 2012
Credit-for-creationism scheme dies in Alabama | NCSE

There is nothing sacred about what we call Science. Science is simply the theories that people develop to explain the evidence gathered. When the evidence shows a theory is not right then either the theory is modified or a new one replaces it.

The problem with Creationism is that it selectively only uses evidence that supports it. Other evidence that contradicts it is ignored.

Real Science has evolved over thousands of years of progress. Right or wrong it is the best we have based on our current knowledge. Creationism will never evolve since it is based on rigid ideology.

Last edited by MisterEd51; 01-22-2014 at 12:05 AM..

Old 01-22-2014, 12:39 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,775,623 times
Quote:
Public money should not be used to expose children to a religious viewpoint that contradicts the scientific evidence that supports evolution...
How about using public money to attack Christian beliefs? Is that okay?

I think children should be exposed to all beliefs. How else can they learn to interpret this complex world and decide that what they have been taught is what they truly believe? Those who refuse to understand how others think cannot possibly function outside their own comfort zone.

BTW - I never reference Creationism or Evolution, and I never try to force my beliefs on others. However, I do have a problem with those who do try to force their beliefs on others - and stating one's belief does not force others to follow it.

I'll end this with the definition of a 'fool'...

"One who is deficient in judgment, sense, or understanding."

'nuff said .

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 01-22-2014 at 01:21 AM..

Old 01-22-2014, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
No. That is the whole point. Government has to stay out of religion altogether.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:28 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,775,623 times
Quote:
No. That is the whole point. Government has to stay out of religion altogether.
I edited my post as you were quoting it - just letting you know.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post

I think children should be exposed to all beliefs. How else can they learn to interpret this complex world and decide that what they have been taught is what they truly believe? Those who refuse to understand how others think cannot possibly function outside their own comfort zone.

BTW - I never reference Creationism or Evolution, and I never try to force my beliefs on others. However, I do have a problem with those who do try to force their beliefs on others - and stating one's belief does not force others to follow it.

I'll end this with the definition of a 'fool'...

"One who is deficient in judgment, sense, or understanding."

'nuff said .
Creationism is a religious belief. The only context in which it should be taught is in a class on religion.

The Theory of evolution is a scientific explanation of the natural world. Therein lies the difference.

Wedge strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.antievolution.org/features/wedge.pdf

The creationists are trying to force their beliefs on all of us when they come up with a "science" museum that is a display for religious ideas. They are free to build it and call it whatever they wish. Government should not financially support it, either directly or indirectly, and it should not be used for public school instruction on school time. If parents want their children to see it, let the parents take them there.

I have not called you a fool. I would expect the same courtesy from you. You disappoint me.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:23 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,042,475 times
Quote:
Government has to stay out of religion altogether.
No it doesn't.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
No it doesn't.
Oh? Would you like for Islamic Sharia to become the basis for U. S. law?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area