Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 08:30 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,787,791 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info.

We got a copy of the how from Bridgewater and it stated 400 dollars a year. I've got to verify that with the onsite agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 11:30 PM

493 posts, read 712,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Thanks for the info.

We got a copy of the how from Bridgewater and it stated 400 dollars a year. I've got to verify that with the onsite agent.
Wow! That is not what the HOA dues were when I looked in there! That seems kinda high for that development since there are so many houses with two combined neighborhood developments since the pool is used by both Bridgewater Landing and Rock Creek residents that should keep the cost down as well as the pool is not as large as some community pools are. Of course there is also a lot of landscaping/lawn maintenance that has to be done at the entrances and along the side of Old Railroad Bed Road for both Bridgewater and Rock Creek and the lawn/landscape maintenance around the pool area. I would verify the HOA dues with the onsite agent again though.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:49 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,033,958 times
I would gladly trade my acre for a Research Station postage stamp sized yard.

Actually, I think for my postage stamp sized yard, what I'd really like is that patio home subdivision at the bend of Green Cove. I remember when those were $110k. I figure they topped out and then adjusted to around $180ish maybe.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:01 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,262,951 times
Rock Creek/Bridgewater Landing was NOT a Breland development, that was Mark Anderson's and when he went under (a WHOLE other drama) that land went into foreclosure as did everything he had. For years, it was a mess over there....no one was collecting any dues and the pool area was left half finished and in disrepair. Bridgewater Landing has issues when DR Horton was building there.....I remember those original houses were built and they couldn't get the CO's from the utilities due to issues. There is a regular poster on here that has lived over there for years, I just can't remember who it is. Similar thing happened out in HC in Hampton Station...same developer. Breland got that land from foreclosure and had to spend a good bit of $$$ to get the pool/cabana going and get the dues rolling in from existing homeowners to keep the pool going. I had heard that they were contemplating an increase on the dues but last I heard nothing was concrete. They used to have it set at more than $150....I think the original developer had them set around $250-$300. $400 sounds excessive to me for a pool/cabana and their common grounds are not that extensive....but you need to check with Breland to confirm as they are setting those dues.

CoreLysium....are you talking about Morningside? Some of the smaller ones still sell under $200k but those have gone up A LOT in value.....up to the mid $200's and a lot of those sell over $100/foot.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:06 AM

Corelysium,

We looked there really hard. I don't mind the small yard but the fact that half of the yards are used for drainage, there isn't much usuable space left.

Also keep this in mind. From my work in research park it took 30 minutes to get to bridgewater landing at 5pm. However, getting to work this morning, it took 25 minutes just to get to 53 from bridgewater landing. It took 45 minutes for me to get to work from bridgewater landing, but Research Pk blvd was backed up from an accident.

So, research station has a huge advantage in convienence.

The HOA controller confirmed 150 a year. From what I am gathering is that the HOA documentation isn't either up-to-date or we didn't get the addendums. For instance, the copy of the HOA clearly state no homes less than 2000sqft, but there are plenty smaller than that.

When Breland pulls out, the HOA association gets full control. The $150 is set by the builder from what the controller said and that the builder has majority until they finish.

I think we have to resolve now whether we want to get the house already built out there or build. The issue with building out there is that it will take 6 months and interest rates will go up by then. The cost of the house will also probably marginally higher just due to increased building costs. It also means we are paying extra rent out for those 6 months while they build. We are also still deciding if we like the 1683 or the 1658 floorplan better. I personally would be more sold on the 1658 floorplan arleady built at Bridgewater if the kitchen had granite counter tops, but we can change that down the road.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:26 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,262,951 times
It typically takes about 4 1/2 months for Breland to build those smaller floorplans once you go on production. The super out at Bridgewater Landing is great....I've built three out there and every one went super smooth. Contracting this month, you would go on production in March and close around June if there are no significant weather delays, which the majority of those do come in the spring. You also CAN do the builder rate locks, which typically gives you a one time float down option within 30 days of closing if the rates improve. Price wise, while Breland may discount specific specs that tend to be sitting to get them to move, you are generally going to pay the same for a spec and a prebuild so you really won't see much price difference. If cost to build goes up, it doesn't affect you because you pay what you contracted to pay, period, unless you make additions during the process. Sometimes Breland also offers some specials on specs that they are not offering on preconstruction sales, like a refrigerator, blinds, or a fence. The onsite should be able to quickly price out that same plan to build with the options you want so you can see if there are any differences.

You can always check with Breland to see what it would cost to have granite put into the spec you like as well. They will do that.

Last year around this time Breland went up across the board pricewise on all their homes and I would not be shocked to see them do that again this year.

One thing about Research Station is A LOT of those lots are in the flood plan and will require flood insurance. Definitely something that needs to be verified on the plat.

Last edited by LCTMadison; 02-04-2014 at 09:34 AM..

Old 02-04-2014, 09:46 AM

2,451 posts, read 3,212,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needtosellmyhome View Post
*Asbury (County Line Road/Madison)* and *Bridgewater Landing (Old Railroad Bed Road/Huntsville)* both have access to a pool and cabana which is really nice unless you'll absolutely NEVER use it and don't want to pay for it. I think their HOA dues at both subdivisions are only $150.00 per year though and that includes the pool and cabana. Research Station has no pool and cabana and will not have one in the future.

As DJ Maxwell stated the pool and cabana for Bridgewater Landing is actually in Rock Creek but there is a bridge and path that goes over to Rock Creek for the pool access. Louis Breland was the original developer of Rock Creek (I think) and since he also bought out Bridgewater Landing he was of course able to decide to connect the neighborhoods with a trail and offer the pool and cabana for Bridgewater Landing residents as well as Rock Creek residents. HPH Homes built the homes in the front part of Rock Creek and Adams Homes built many of the ones in the back of Rock Creek as well as Nicholas Homes. Nicholas Homes went bankrupt and I think Breland Homes acquired the lots in Rock Creek that Nicholas Homes had but there are just a few lots left in Rock Creek as DJ Maxwell stated. Bridgewater Landing is also getting close to being sold out which is nice because you wouldn't have to put up with construction mess much longer.
When we purchased our home back in 2008, we were told that our HOA dues would start when the pool was finished. Now that the pool is finished, we still aren't paying HOA dues and the pool is optional. I'm not even sure if we have an HOA at this point.

That is a pretty decent summary of the builders in Rock Creek. Nicholas built a total of 3 houses. They were lousy at maintaining the empty lots so I was happy to see them disappear.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Rock Creek/Bridgewater Landing was NOT a Breland development, that was Mark Anderson's and when he went under (a WHOLE other drama) that land went into foreclosure as did everything he had. For years, it was a mess over there....no one was collecting any dues and the pool area was left half finished and in disrepair. Bridgewater Landing has issues when DR Horton was building there.....I remember those original houses were built and they couldn't get the CO's from the utilities due to issues. There is a regular poster on here that has lived over there for years, I just can't remember who it is. Similar thing happened out in HC in Hampton Station...same developer. Breland got that land from foreclosure and had to spend a good bit of $$$ to get the pool/cabana going and get the dues rolling in from existing homeowners to keep the pool going. I had heard that they were contemplating an increase on the dues but last I heard nothing was concrete. They used to have it set at more than $150....I think the original developer had them set around $250-$300. $400 sounds excessive to me for a pool/cabana and their common grounds are not that extensive....but you need to check with Breland to confirm as they are setting those dues.

CoreLysium....are you talking about Morningside? Some of the smaller ones still sell under $200k but those have gone up A LOT in value.....up to the mid $200's and a lot of those sell over $100/foot.
Did Mark Anderson and Louis Breland not work together? At one time on brelandcompanies.com which is Louis Breland's LAND DEVELOPMENT site and not the brelandhomes.com site they had "Rock Creek" listed as one of their developments on brelandcompanies.com *Thus my reason for making that statement. Adams Homes and HPH homes also bought a lot of lots from Louis Breland in the past in some of his other developments.

I also bought a home in Lake Forest in 2012 which is a Breland LAND development and on the lakeforestofhuntsville.com web site they have the original documents for the covenants and restrictions and there are additional documents with both Louis Breland's signatures AND Mark Anderson's signatures. I think Mark Anderson had a company called "Markland Development"?

Old 02-05-2014, 09:33 PM

Default ANSLEE FARMS, Breland Homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Corelysium,

We looked there really hard. I don't mind the small yard but the fact that half of the yards are used for drainage, there isn't much usuable space left.

Also keep this in mind. From my work in research park it took 30 minutes to get to bridgewater landing at 5pm. However, getting to work this morning, it took 25 minutes just to get to 53 from bridgewater landing. It took 45 minutes for me to get to work from bridgewater landing, but Research Pk blvd was backed up from an accident.

So, research station has a huge advantage in convienence.

The HOA controller confirmed 150 a year. From what I am gathering is that the HOA documentation isn't either up-to-date or we didn't get the addendums. For instance, the copy of the HOA clearly state no homes less than 2000sqft, but there are plenty smaller than that.

When Breland pulls out, the HOA association gets full control. The $150 is set by the builder from what the controller said and that the builder has majority until they finish.

I think we have to resolve now whether we want to get the house already built out there or build. The issue with building out there is that it will take 6 months and interest rates will go up by then. The cost of the house will also probably marginally higher just due to increased building costs. It also means we are paying extra rent out for those 6 months while they build. We are also still deciding if we like the 1683 or the 1658 floorplan better. I personally would be more sold on the 1658 floorplan arleady built at Bridgewater if the kitchen had granite counter tops, but we can change that down the road.
Hi NoleFanHSV,

I am sure you may already know this (but it has NOT been mentioned in this thread) but Breland Homes also does have a subdivision called "Anslee Farms" that is off of Blake Bottom Road close to Research Park Blvd. This is not very far from Research Station. The Breland Homes in Anslee Farms start in the 150K range and go up to almost 300K in there. In Anslee Farms granite countertops are also STANDARD in the kitchens in every house in Anslee Farms since you've mentioned that you would like granite counters. When you originally wanted to know if there were any other builders in the 160K range I did respond and let you know about the close-by development Ashton Springs where Valor Homes is building but I didn't mention Anslee Farms since you already stated you looked at Breland Homes I thought maybe you already knew about Anslee Farms. Anslee Farms may be a better location for you than Ashbury or Bridgewater Landing if you liked the location of Research Station. Anslee Farms is also nicer than Research Station in my opinion because it has a super nice entrance with 3 water fountains and it's not directly on the busy thoroughfare of Research Park Blvd. GRANITE counters are also standard in Anslee Farms and are NOT standard in Research Station. Anslee Farms is another subdivision that was started by a different builder and developer that also went bankrupt (sigh). Valor Homes is also now building in Anslee Farms along with Breland Homes. Valor Homes is the builder that is currently in Ashton Springs and now they are going to also build in Anslee Farms with Breland Homes. Also I think all the Breland Homes in Anslee Farms come standard with in-ground sprinkler systems and they do not in Research Station. I was also told that for ANSLEE FARMS there may end up being a pool and cabana there in the future but that they were going to let the homeowners VOTE on it to decide on whether or not to put a neighborhood pool in because ultimately the homeowners will end up paying for it through the HOA dues.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:57 AM

Needtosellmyhome,

We drove through Anslee a few weeks ago and decided we didn't care too much for the layout of the neighborhood. It's just too open for our tastes, with really one treeline. One of the reasons we have ignored River landing is for the same reason. Bridgewater feels like Research Station with the lots having more land. The other issue is that half of Anslee is in flood area, and I'd like to not have to deal with flood insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area