Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 10:27 PM

13 posts, read 20,496 times

Advertisements

And what gets me.. The double wide that he(Xmanager) also stayed in with power has new renters and guess what they have POWER!!! I think he(the ownerof park) has a bill with all 4 places that power was on in the companys name and hes trying to make me pay them all... my trailer, the double wide /xmanagers sons/and office
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 10:31 PM

493 posts, read 712,964 times
Also here is the Cullman County Sheriff's web site: Cullman County Sheriff's Office :: Sheriff Mike Rainey

I wonder if the sheriff's office can help with this? *LCT Madison* they would be who would do tenant evictions in Cullman County, correct?

Old 02-10-2014, 10:40 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,264,726 times
The sheriff does not just go out and evict people with a phone call. They have to do that by court order....there is a lot of legal involved. It can take months. The Sheriff is only there to enforce court order, they do not resolve landlord/tenant disputes in regards to a lease.

Anyway.....why would she need to pursue eviction....she IS the tenant. Tenants don't typically look to evict themselves.

M4Mullins, continue to try to get in touch with legal aid in the morning....they can help you. Tenants in AL have a lot of rights....its to protect people like you. Unfortunately, it also makes it much harder to get deadbeat tenants out.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:27 PM

493 posts, read 712,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
The sheriff does not just go out and evict people with a phone call. They have to do that by court order....there is a lot of legal involved. It can take months. The Sheriff is only there to enforce court order, they do not resolve landlord/tenant disputes in regards to a lease.

Anyway.....why would she need to pursue eviction....she IS the tenant. Tenants don't typically look to evict themselves.

M4Mullins, continue to try to get in touch with legal aid in the morning....they can help you. Tenants in AL have a lot of rights....its to protect people like you. Unfortunately, it also makes it much harder to get deadbeat tenants out.
I realize she is the tenant. I read her posts! My question was "I wonder if the sheriff's office can help with this?" I didn't know if this was something they would offer advice on or help with or even get involved with! I also never stated that the sheriff just goes out and evicts people with a phone call-my question was since I believe it is the sheriff who will literally force a tenant out of a property (now knowing that answer is yes after they have a court order) for an eviction then would the sheriff also help with or get involved in a case like this? Since the sheriff's department is who comes out and forces a tenant out of a property if they will not leave the property after an eviction notice has been (legally) issued would they also help a tenant out in a case like this if they have paid everything they are legally obligated to pay and have a valid lease agreement? You have apparently answered that question as NO when you stated " they do not resolve landlord/tenant disputes in regards to a lease" so I assume the answer is "no" then. I never stated that I thought she or anyone else was looking to do an eviction.

Since she has stated that she cannot afford to pay this utility bill then I doubt she can afford legal aid (assuming a paid attorney) since you are now clearly stating that the sheriff's department or police department cannot help her. Unless you have a volunteer attorney that helps in cases like this then it will cost more in attorney fees to resolve this than it would cost to pay that ridiculous utility bill. THAT was my question: Will the sheriff's department or police department even get involved in an issue like this? And as I stated based on your response I assume the answer is no. I am NOT a REALTOR as you are so I do not know all the legalities that go along with landlord and tenant issues which was why I asked your opinion since it stands to reason that you do. Thank God I've been fortunate enough to own my own home my entire adult life.

Well it's way past my bedtime now. M4Mulins-I truly hope you can resolve this tomorrow!!!

Old 02-11-2014, 05:55 AM

I did contact legal aid in this matter waiting for a phone call and the owner of this park lives in VA.. I did let his management know that I did find everyday I am without power due to him.. I will be entitled to 100.00 per day. And I believe a judge will see my side since he's clearly in default with the lease and his actions. All I want is the right to turn my power on and live in peace..

Old 02-11-2014, 08:42 AM

Well legal aide called and I def have a case against him. He has no legal rights to force me to pay the bill. Its in the trailer parks name. The x manager placed the power on in the companys name not his own. We think he's trying to make me pay for all 4 units the power was on in companys name. I am going to talk to the people that rented the doublewide that have their power on and see if he made them pay for any of this old bill... My guessing is that part of the managers pay was that he(the owner) pay the elec and water etc and free rent plus a wage. My unit only had lights on and hotwater heater. He had no stove, fridge washer/dryer in unit. Only a tv and laptop computer. So no way a bill would be that high he didnt even sleep in it moved into the doublewide and did all his cooking and heating with elec heaters.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:50 AM

Good deal. They'll help you get it worked out. Glad you got in touch with someone that can make something happen for you.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:13 AM

So am I but this may take a while. I am not sure if I should hold lot rent until the situation is fixed. I will ask attorney about that one. So trying to find a place here to stay until i get things worked out.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:26 AM

You do not want to do anything that gives the landlord cause to start eviction on you for violation of lease terms (yes, even tho he is himself defaulting on the lease he has rights to enforce). You definitely need to seek legal counsel before you withhold lease payments. Provide who you are talking to with a copy of your lease so they know all terms involved.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:36 AM

No I will not hold unless attorney says I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area