Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 02:39 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,057,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
The service installer most likely didn't have those tools. In order to bury that cable, all of the utilities need to be marked, etc. It isn't something that the installer is going to be able to do.
Yes, you are correct about the installer. I thought the poster said Comcast wouldn't do it because of the driveway. My bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 06:39 PM

353 posts, read 1,001,213 times
If the tap was on a pole, he could have done what is called a "mid-span". If it was/is underground, then the tech wouldn't have the tools to do it.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:20 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
They have very capable tools that run the cable under a driveway. This should not even be an excuse.
Why the hell would they send out a boring machine to run under someone's driveway, tear up a yard, **** that homeowner off, probably get sued, then the drop be too long and have to install a drop amp on the house and still have problems because of the long drop, instead of just doing it the right way like they are going to and install a tap in front of the guys house? I mean seriously, why spend over a thousand dollars half assing something instead of just doing it the right way?

The reason why they didn't just take the customer's word for it and schedule a tap to be installed is because 90% of customers think they know what they are looking at but in reality have absolutely no clue what is involved. Sure they wasted time in this case but what if they took every know it all's word for it and sent out crews?.......Your cable bill would be 50% more than the overinflated price it is now.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
why the hell would they send out a boring machine to run under someone's driveway, tear up a yard, **** that homeowner off, probably get sued, then the drop be too long and have to install a drop amp on the house and still have problems because of the long drop, instead of just doing it the right way like they are going to and install a tap in front of the guys house? I mean seriously, why spend over a thousand dollars half assing something instead of just doing it the right way?

The reason why they didn't just take the customer's word for it and schedule a tap to be installed is because 90% of customers think they know what they are looking at but in reality have absolutely no clue what is involved. Sure they wasted time in this case but what if they took every know it all's word for it and sent out crews?.......your cable bill would be 50% more than the overinflated price it is now.
ok

Old 03-31-2014, 06:58 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times
Well more BS. So the install guy comes out and obviously, no tap yet. He gets on the phone with his supervisor to find out whats going on. The subcontractor was out there Thursday and scheduled a road bore. It will be 4/7-4/14 before they will have a tap up. IMHO, this is rediculous. Why did they not just run the main cable all the way around both sides of the road? The onsite agent was talking comcast up so people would be interested vs other neighborhoods that don't have any or limited service. Sorry, but waiting 3 weeks after close before even a tap is put up is not something I'd be talking up. This particular install guy was much more helpful. He said that 10 years ago Comcast used to lay cable all the way around in most new construction, but found it cheaper to do road bores. I'm not sure "how" its cheaper, but whatever. The thing I don't get is that they ran the cable on the side of the street where there are 8 vacant lots still and on my side of the street there is only 1 with houses ready to sell. So all those poor suckers are going to be in the same boat I'm in. I think any developer or builder who has high speed service and tv hooked up at the time of sell will have a much better chane of selling a house.

While I could go dish /dtv I have no interest in signing a year contract or having a dish mounted to my roof. Needless to say I'm highly disappointed with both Comcast and the sales agent.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:17 PM

458 posts, read 617,260 times
The one good thing about Comcast is I get more consistent speeds with them than I did with Knology/Wow.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:41 AM

So comcast now has cable up to the side of my house. What they ended up doing is taking a line off the tap at the end of the cul-de-sac between two driveways and running it up under my neighbors driveway and in his yard. I didn't think they could do that but after some research, they can do that as long as they have a contract with the county. In all honesty, its hard to tell that they were in his yard. They also trenched the neighbors lines because they hadn't been done yet.

The issue I see is that they ran the line across a vacant lot that hasn't been prepped for a new house. My concern now is that when they prep that lot, they'll break or pull it up inadvertantly. Time will tell I guess.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:34 AM

I will say this, I applaud them for calling me back. Someone called me and discussed the issues this morning. The lady on the phone explained to me that the reason why they don't have cable up and down both sides of the street is due to FCC regulations. I don't know if I buy that, but at least they were nice enough to call.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
So comcast now has cable up to the side of my house. What they ended up doing is taking a line off the tap at the end of the cul-de-sac between two driveways and running it up under my neighbors driveway and in his yard. I didn't think they could do that but after some research, they can do that as long as they have a contract with the county. In all honesty, its hard to tell that they were in his yard. They also trenched the neighbors lines because they hadn't been done yet.
Yep, that's how it works. Not sure why dijkstra got so upset about it...

Old 04-08-2014, 09:30 PM

Well I had cable for 3 days. Until contractors who put up new barrier fencing on the empty lot cut the cable. Joy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area