Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 12:49 PM

45 posts, read 48,552 times

Advertisements

It isn't realistic to expect there to be a significant number of people wanting to go to Las Vegas at any one time out of Huntsville, so it maks sense the airfares would be pricy. I'm surpised that is even available as an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 01:00 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
It is realistic to not expect the highest prices in the nation.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:02 PM

45 posts, read 48,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
WHy , you aren't basing that on anything other than the premise that Huntsville shouldn't be the highest, because you live in Huntsville. Huntsville is pretty remote city as far as cities in South go and it close to two bigger airports. My guess is most of travel is business related and to DC/Baltimore for government relarted stuff.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:53 PM

2,996 posts, read 3,580,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACFlora View Post
WHy , you aren't basing that on anything other than the premise that Huntsville shouldn't be the highest, because you live in Huntsville. Huntsville is pretty remote city as far as cities in South go and it close to two bigger airports. My guess is most of travel is business related and to DC/Baltimore for government relarted stuff.
Think Cleveland was a strong second, Remote? what does that mean?
HSV flies over a million passengers every year, thats more than a lot of cities in the south and would be significantly more if the ones flying out of other airports were able to fly HSV. Every smaller airport in the country is suffering from high prices and reduced services. And as far as infrastructure, capability, overall. facilities HSV is near the top. Cargo wise HSV is the 14th largest in the USA, not bad for being so remote.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:25 PM

53 posts, read 76,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Think Cleveland was a strong second, Remote? what does that mean?
HSV flies over a million passengers every year, thats more than a lot of cities in the south and would be significantly more if the ones flying out of other airports were able to fly HSV. Every smaller airport in the country is suffering from high prices and reduced services. And as far as infrastructure, capability, overall. facilities HSV is near the top. Cargo wise HSV is the 14th largest in the USA, not bad for being so remote.

I wasn't beating up on the airport itself. But HSV isn't a big destination for people far away from HSV and it is a medium sized metro. It isn't a tourist town and there aren't many non-Southerners who have releatives there other than the transplants from government areas like DC. And I bet if you look at what cities people from HSV fly to frequently, it is pretty limited. I think at some point Huntsville is going to be "discovered" by people up north looking for a retirement area with warm weather, similar to Greenville SC in the last decade. Then you'll start to see a lot more flights to various places.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:07 AM

12 posts, read 12,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Thats all im saying. I understand that we aren't Miami, New York, LA etc...but there is no way we should have the highest prices in the nation.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:31 PM

458 posts, read 617,260 times
I still don't buy HSV is the most expensive airport. I just bought a ticket to Phoenix this summer and HSV was cheaper than Birmingham and Nashville. I'm not talking about tweaking the price to account for gas, parking, etc. The ticket was actually cheaper. Atlanta was the cheapest but only by about $50. I think if you are semi-flexible on your dates you can snag a good deal.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:42 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdtron View Post
I still don't buy HSV is the most expensive airport. I just bought a ticket to Phoenix this summer and HSV was cheaper than Birmingham and Nashville. I'm not talking about tweaking the price to account for gas, parking, etc. The ticket was actually cheaper. Atlanta was the cheapest but only by about $50. I think if you are semi-flexible on your dates you can snag a good deal.
Depends on where you're going. My daughter's family was in MN. I had to fly there several times a yr (It was frequently cheaper to drive) for many years. Never, never did hsv have a cheaper flight. And most of the time it was worth driving to Nashville to fly out of there. And believe me, I know how to hunt for flight fares and was signed up for just about every airfare searcher there is.
You may or may not buy that hsv is most expensive and that's your prerogative but it's been on the news several times and hsv airport authority has never denied it in the interviews.
I'm sure it doesn't mean for every single flight to everywhere but an overall picture.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:50 AM

266 posts, read 396,904 times
I wonder if flights out of Huntsville would be cheaper if you could actually get on an Amtrak in Huntsville?

Old 04-21-2014, 05:58 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,606 times
Cheaper for those wingless, land-planes. Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area