Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:13 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,817,626 times

Advertisements

Sad. 13 years ago Columbus had a mall to shut down. Only for a new mall to open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 07:32 AM

45 posts, read 92,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
CBL & Associates Properties Inc. plans to sell 21 of its shopping malls, about a quarter of its nationwide holdings, in an effort to upgrade its remaining properties and boost the Chattanooga company's income.

Stephen Lebovitz, CBL's chief executive, said that the company plans to divest the properties within the next 24 to 36 months. He didn't identify the centers.
The only Penney's that is scheduled to close in the state is in Selma.
Interesting if MSM is one of those centers to be sold. I wonder if JC Penney and Sears will be around in MSM in 24 to 36 months.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:40 AM

614 posts, read 759,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntsvilleJT View Post
Interesting if MSM is one of those centers to be sold. I wonder if JC Penney and Sears will be around in MSM in 24 to 36 months.
Sears and Penny's are the ONLY reason I go to MSM. They have man clothes at prices I can live with.
Most stores in most malls ignore the men.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:49 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,144,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahBellum View Post
When malls first became popular, they were made up of lots of more local businesses with large corporate anchors. It used to be fun to go to a new city and check out their malls because it had a personality. Unfortunately, over time malls started charging so much that smaller merchants couldn't afford the rent. In came the cookie cutter corporate stores and before long, every mall was made up of pretty much the same old same old, except for whatever the regional department stores were along with Sears, Penney's, etc. Most malls ended up being just about the same except for a different layout of stores and a different fountain in the middle. While I don't think it's the main reason malls started dying, I do think that shoppers just got bored. And once the economy started to tank a few years ago, the corporations pulled out and left some high dollar retail real estate that no one, especially local businesses, could afford.
Since the bookstore closed down a few years back there's nothing other than restaurants in Parkway Place that I go to regularly. I buy clothes in the big stores every few months. I wish they'd get a video game store, arcade, bookstore, or some other store worth going to.

Quote:
One thing we did notice was that it was sweltering hot in all three of those stores.
Sadly a common sign of a mall on its way out. The owners or tenants figure they can save money or ac, but instead they just drive cutomers away by making the shopping experience miserable.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:35 AM

46,189 posts, read 26,853,468 times
I used to go there, not often, but I would go, I like JCP for cheap clothes, however, about 2 months ago I went there after work about 2pm, parked at the lower JCP parking lot, not many cars there. As I was walking in, a guy who owned a 2010ish durango, (I own a 2012 durango) said you beter watch your durango, I looked over at his truck and his door was bent and smashed and said his ignition was ripped out.

I won't go to that mall anymore...

Old 05-20-2014, 07:20 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,084,598 times
About 2 Christmas' ago thieves were busting into a bunch of cars trunks in the parking lot too, if I recall.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:21 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,065,926 times
The sad thing is that if CBL had sold MSM eight or ten years ago to a proactive company it could possibly have been redeveloped.
But it was obviously their poor management that allowed them to ignore the big crime issues, both real and perceived. Most likely they have poisoned the well. There will always be quite a few people that will not go back if this is simply refreshed as a mall. And where would the stores come from. If they could lure stores that are in other locations they will not gain much from people who will most likely maintain a familiar pattern of shopping. There just aren't enough stores for a mall that large that is down to America's old standbys that are on life support.

Mixed use; but what use. That will be the question.

Raj

Old 05-21-2014, 12:04 AM

36 posts, read 56,490 times
I will continue to go to Madison Square Mall at least twice a year as long as JC Penny and Sears remain there. But honestly I would rather be at Madison Square Mall when it is raining outside rather than at Bridge Street in the rain!

Old 05-21-2014, 07:59 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,018,113 times
I think we need to go full circle. Tear it down and build a Madison County Colosseum.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:16 AM

614 posts, read 759,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
About 2 Christmas' ago thieves were busting into a bunch of cars trunks in the parking lot too, if I recall.
On Christmas eve 2 years ago they drove a screwdriver thru the door handle of my GM truck and stole what they could grab. Police told me I was one of many that night to be robbed in the parking lot.

I still go to MSM, but only in the daylight and only park really near a door.

On a side note, I sure wish I could have seen the criminals faces when they played my TSO Christmas CD's to see what they sounded like. hahahahaha. Not gang music there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area