Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 03:00 PM

493 posts, read 713,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2517 View Post
We're in Lake Forest - right off of Martin...zip code is H'Ville
I am also over here in Lake Forest. One big problem (and about the only problem) with Lake Forest is the school system, Williams Elementary and Middle is only rated a 3 out of 10 which is not very good at all, unfortunately. The schools were actually discussed at one of the Lake Forest HOA meetings last year because of the fact that Williams Elementary and Middle is not doing well that is not very good for home sales in Lake Forest. Homes ARE selling very well here now (they weren't a few years back but that was mostly because of the state of the economy and housing market) but I know of a home that was recently pending in Lake Forest where the sale fell through because the purchaser learned the elementary school was not so good. There is also another family that is moving out of Lake Forest because the schools are not up to the standards they want for their kids. I wouldn't try to steer anyone away from moving here because I live here and we love it here, it's a beautiful neighborhood with incredible amenities and a very strict HOA which is good for property values. There are quite a few new homes being built in Lake Forest right now and there are also quite a few with sold signs posted out front. One huge benefit of Lake Forest is its very close proximity to Redstone Arsenal gate 7, we do have that going for us over here.

Last edited by needtosellmyhome; 05-21-2014 at 03:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 03:26 PM

944 posts, read 1,186,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needtosellmyhome View Post
I am also over here in Lake Forest. One big problem (and about the only problem) with Lake Forest is the school system, Williams Elementary and Middle is only rated a 3 out of 10 which is not very good at all, unfortunately. The schools were actually discussed at one of the Lake Forest HOA meetings last year because of the fact that Williams Elementary and Middle is not doing well that is not very good for home sales in Lake Forest. Homes ARE selling very well here now (they weren't a few years back but that was mostly because of the state of the economy and housing market) but I know of a home that was recently pending in Lake Forest where the sale fell through because the purchaser learned the elementary school was not so good. There is also another family that is moving out of Lake Forest because the schools are not up to the standards they want for their kids. I wouldn't try to steer anyone away from moving here because I live here and we love it here, it's a beautiful neighborhood with incredible amenities and a very strict HOA which is good for property values. There are quite a few new homes being built in Lake Forest right now and there are also quite a few with sold signs posted out front. One huge benefit of Lake Forest is its very close proximity to Redstone Arsenal gate 7, we do have that going for us over here.
Well, howdy neighbor!! Yes, it IS a nice neighborhood! And it's growing in leaps & bounds...lots of construction going on every day! But, I do think the school issue is huge for families moving in...we're closing in on 'old fart' status, so we're perfectly happy here

Old 05-21-2014, 03:30 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,301,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needtosellmyhome View Post

I agree that you live in a gorgeous neighborhood and I'm jealous of the amenities you have . My boss has a lovely home in Lake Forest. Her kids are a few years away from school, but I know they are leaning strongly toward private b/c of the school zone situation. I think they bought in there before they had kids, and it wasn't on their radar at that time.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:20 PM

458 posts, read 617,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Please don't turn yet another thread into a "peeing" contest over Madison being better than Huntsville (or vice versa). We all live in the area we do because we like something about it, but it doesn't take away from other areas. I won't live in Madison because of congestion. HOWEVER, we have many friends that do and love it and don't see it as an issue at all.

Madison provides nothing that cannot be gotten in Huntsville or surrounding areas and vice versa. It's all in what you like. Let's try to help the OP when she needs it so that her family can choose for themselves when they get here.
Agreed. The whole Madison vs Huntsville thing is the most idiotic rivalry I've ever seen. Most people don't seem to be a part of it, but those that like to brag Madison is so much better (or vice versa) really need to stop generalizing an entire city.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:39 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,838,392 times
Default McMullen Cove

Quote:
Originally Posted by seff75 View Post
That is my main concern about Madison is the traffic. Though Hampton Roads traffic is nothing like NOVA, it is not unheard of to sit for 40 min and not move. I am just over it. My husband and I were out there a few years ago and drove through Hampton Cove and McMullen Cove- loved McMullen Cove. But I have heard some negatives about flooding and houses retaining value, so that would make me nervous about buying and potentially having to leave...
Just my thoughts on this thread. We used to live in both Madison city for a while and in the McMullen Cove/Huntsville area. This is just silly for the arguments going on about why one is so much better than the other. Both are nice and it is a personal preference. We lived in McMullen Cove and loved it. I like the mountains and seeing the seasons change on them. We never had any flooding issues.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:15 PM

2,996 posts, read 3,580,465 times
from former cotton fields to a thriving bedroom suburb completely surrounded by Huntsville, Madison does very well. Fortunately the leaders of Huntsville, Madison, Decatur and Athens realized they are stronger working as one.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:22 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,425,008 times
Default School Zones by address

The best way to check what school a house is zoned for, use the Address look-up tool:

Madison City: StreetAddress
Huntsville City: Quick Address Search
Madison County: process of elimination

And always check with the school (district) directly when you get closer to buying, but for looksie purposes (long-distance house hunt) these are pretty accurate tools. Any "errors" may be due to new development/ database not being updated.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:03 AM

36 posts, read 40,178 times
I didnt realize when I posted what a huge debate the huntsville versus Madison would be... lesson learned

My husband is set to visit in a month and I think we know which areas of Huntsville he should check out, but what about MAdison. It seems confusing online... any suggestions?

Old 05-22-2014, 11:05 AM

36 posts, read 40,178 times
And I think we want to stay in Madison City limits. Though I would prefer the older, more established high school, Im not as concerned (as by the time my oldest is in HS, I am hoping everything is more established).

Old 05-22-2014, 11:25 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,301,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seff75 View Post
And I think we want to stay in Madison City limits. Though I would prefer the older, more established high school, Im not as concerned (as by the time my oldest is in HS, I am hoping everything is more established).
On both valleymls.com and athomeshuntsville.com you can search for homes based on high school, middle school, down to elementary. FYI

Also, don't discount James Clemens...the newer Madison HS. It's facilities have everything imaginable and they are also on the list of most challenging high schools. Huntsville High & Grissom in the HSV city school district are also top notch. There's just some uncertainty right now with the lawsuit over proposed new school district lines, so who knows how that will shake out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area