Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 12:23 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,787,791 times

Advertisements

So for those who've already gone to one this year, how chaotic will this be? We are going to Columbia's because a daughter to a friend of ours is graduating. It appears that they are having ceremonies at every two hour intervals down there. Am I correct in assuming that people are parking and coming in just as another graduation finishes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 12:40 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,262,401 times
Its pretty nuts, at least James Clemens and Bob Jones was.....JCHS was finishing as everyone was showing up for Bob Jones so the crowd was massive.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:54 PM

614 posts, read 765,958 times
Big question is who is going before you? If it's a little school, little crowd already there. Sparkman was Tuesday. Has BJ gone yet? They are the real big schools.

For parking, the easiest is to use the garage under the south hall. Cost is $5.00.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:56 PM

626 posts, read 754,242 times
And be prepared to hear people hooting and hollering when their kid with six middle names are called. It is well beyond the respect that is asked for at the beginning of the ceremony. It got old fast.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:05 PM

I'm going for a student at Columbia, which is after Johnson and before Grissom.

As far as the hootin and hollering, they stopped my graduation and said they wouldn't finish until everyone stopped it and waited until the end for cheers and clapping. This was down in Florida. The shame is that if its going on during one kids then you might not hear the next kids name.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:37 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,299,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
I'm going for a student at Columbia, which is after Johnson and before Grissom.

As far as the hootin and hollering, they stopped my graduation and said they wouldn't finish until everyone stopped it and waited until the end for cheers and clapping. This was down in Florida. The shame is that if its going on during one kids then you might not hear the next kids name.

That is exactly what happens, and I hate hate hate it. It is sooo disprespectful.

I haevn't been to a graduation at VBC, but I was at the Athens HS graduation a few years ago and this definitely happened. Along with air horns and those noisemaker things that you spin around. Granted this was outside in the football stadium, but still...you couldn't hear the names.

I came to the conclusion that the people making the biggest scene/noise are those for whom this probably marks the end of their formal education.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:42 PM

468 posts, read 906,847 times
I was there attending James Clemens last Monday. The good thing was they were the first for the day. Smaller graduating class. They were followed by BJHS ... much bigger graduating class.

Security was very busy directing incoming and outgoing traffic.
Security was very busy - ushering us out once our alloted time was up ... to give space to BJHS folks.

There was some hooting and hollering ... quite disruptive ... but they were sporadic. This might be due to the composition of the graduating class. The speaker did announce the rules. The speaker did not proceed until one over zealous idiot quieted down ... giving proper respect to the next graduating student. This is a graduation for many students ... not just their kid!

I suppose those that make all that disruptive noise - graduating from high school was a very rare experience for their family. I am not against celebrating but do give proper respect to others. This behavior is more proper for a sporting event.

I did notice that for 'kids who graduated with academic excellence' - regardless of race, there was no hooting or hollering. People clapped --- louder than others at times... but overall, very civil and proper.

BTW - VBC does ban all noisy disruptive devices ... air horns etc.

Last edited by RatSnake; 05-22-2014 at 01:50 PM..

Old 05-22-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatSnake View Post
I was there attending James Clemens last Monday. The good thing was they were the first for the day. Smaller graduating class. They were followed by BJHS ... much bigger graduating class.

Security was very busy directing incoming and outgoing traffic.
Security was very busy - ushering us out once our alloted time was up ... to give space to BJHS folks.
I'm bringing a camera bag. Is this allowed through security?

Old 05-22-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
I'm bringing a camera bag. Is this allowed through security?
That is allowed.

Only noisemakers are not allowed.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:01 PM

For me - the best place to park was diagonally across the VBC --- beside the bank parking lot.
You could go out / exit... on two streets (Clinton or Holmes). The other street (Holmes) did not have any traffic at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area