Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 12:38 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times

Advertisements

Off topic but to TN2HSV post:

Breland, at least all the Brelands we looked at, slab was much higher than say Benton homes. There's actually a decent size step from the garage into the house. There is a small step(barely) from Family room to the back porch, but a large step down from the back porch to the ground.

Our friends who have a AHH also have a very small step from the garage to the inside of the house, and the back porch is almost level with the ground.

So I guess my confusion is to what is defined as a raised slab?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 12:55 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,301,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Off topic but to TN2HSV post:

Breland, at least all the Brelands we looked at, slab was much higher than say Benton homes. There's actually a decent size step from the garage into the house. There is a small step(barely) from Family room to the back porch, but a large step down from the back porch to the ground.

Our friends who have a AHH also have a very small step from the garage to the inside of the house, and the back porch is almost level with the ground.

So I guess my confusion is to what is defined as a raised slab?
They actually dig out & set a concrete block foundation around the footprint of the house and build it up....IDK how many blocks high...fill the inside of the concrete blocks with gravel, and then pour concrete over that to fill it up to the top of the concrete blocks and level it off. Then they brick all teh way down to the ground, which covers the concrete blocks. You can have several steps up to the floor level, as this picture from the Stoneridge website shows. To me, this looks so much better than if the front door was on the same level as the sidewalk. To my knowledge, Neither Breland nor J Benton do this.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:58 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
They actually dig out & set a concrete block foundation around the footprint of the house and build it up....IDK how many blocks high...fill the inside of the concrete blocks with gravel, and then pour concrete over that to fill it up to the top of the concrete blocks and level it off. Then they brick all teh way down to the ground, which covers the concrete blocks. You can have several steps up to the floor level, as this picture from the Stoneridge website shows:
I see. I don't know if I'd care for this or not, especially depending on how the back porch is laid out. Reason I bring it up is because I don't care for the height of the back porch on our Breland. Its really too high to concrete out but too low to really do a wood deck.

I do get what you mean by how it looks though. It has presence, thats for sure.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:07 PM

Well, if your lot slopes down from back to front, you could have a raised porch like this, and at the back of your house, your patio could be flush without a big step down.

But my last house in TN was built on crawlspace (as is the norm in middle TN), and we had 2 steps down onto the back patio. It wasn't a big deal....that's how they were.

IDK...I guess it goes back to where you grew up & what you're used to, but I dislike slab on grade because I don't like the idea of MY floor being on the same level as the ground. I also like tall 4-poster beds that you have to climb up into, so maybe it's just me

Old 05-29-2014, 01:22 PM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
To me, this looks so much better than if the front door was on the same level as the sidewalk.
Besides my hatred of steps in general, I am planning on becoming elderly later and think "porch ramps" are uncouth.

That said, I have a crawlspace house, so, like, nevermind.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:27 PM

9 posts, read 19,505 times
Breland homes in Bakers farm will have side entry garages or court yard entry garages.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlspgm View Post
Breland homes in Bakers farm will have side entry garages or court yard entry garages.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:04 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
Jeff Benton varies on type of slab....some block and fill and some neighborhoods he does monolithic.

Breland does monolithic in every house they build.

Pretty much all Jim Wright's houses are going to be block and fill and at least two steps up off the ground, and his patios are that way as well. Jim will build a crawlspace as well, which I like. For a 2900 sft house its about $8k more but worth it IMO.

I agree, I like the look better of a crawlspace and/or raised slab. Just my personal preference.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Jeff Benton varies on type of slab....some block and fill and some neighborhoods he does monolithic.

Breland does monolithic in every house they build.

Pretty much all Jim Wright's houses are going to be block and fill and at least two steps up off the ground, and his patios are that way as well. Jim will build a crawlspace as well, which I like. For a 2900 sft house its about $8k more but worth it IMO.

I agree, I like the look better of a crawlspace and/or raised slab. Just my personal preference.
I guess monolithic is the proper term for "slab on grade"? I didn't know. Millstone & Crown Pointe are both monlithic, right? I dont' think I've seen one of his houses with raised slab.

Good to know that Jim Wright/Stoneridge WILL do a crawlspace. I've never lived on slab until now and I can't believe the difference it makes on my feet & legs at the end of the day. I don't go barefoot in my house...I wear cushy Croc flip-flops to help with foot & leg fatigue. And I'm not even "old'!!!!!

Are the Ken McDaniel & other builders' homes in Cambridge & Waterford on raised slab or crawl space?

Old 05-29-2014, 03:34 PM

261 posts, read 738,834 times
This is great info - thank you all. I prefer monolithic slab foundations, in part because I've had to use a wheelchair for months at a time, more than once, and want our next home to be wheelchair friendly since we plan to age in place. For me, that means easy access to the outside without steps to the front or back porches as well as 36" doors inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area