Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 09:06 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times

Advertisements

Oh how could I forget Golden Rule. Shame on me. But I only like the original and I don't get out to Irondale too often these days. I also left out Johnny Ray's, but that was intentional...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 06:46 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times
There's a Dickey's opening up next to Panera here in Research Park. Any relation to the ones down there?

I grew up in Florida so BBQ here is way different. I don't like "white sauce". I don't like "vinegar" sauce. That pretty much puts 90 percent of the bbq joints here in Huntsville off any list for me. I also prefer sliced pork, but no one does that here. Then I'd go pulled pork. Some places here chop their pork up so fine its almost baby food by the time they serve it. That puts another 5 percent of the places out.

For a quick meal to-go I like Moes. Its "ok". If I'm going to sit down, my favorite in town is Golden Rule off of 20/Madison Blvd. If I'm going to "splurge" and don't mind the lines I'll go to Chuck Wagon, especially if I'm just wanting Brisket. Their pork is just ok though. Shane's is OK too if I'm on that side of town.

I've been to Jim and Nicks a few times, and I thought thier ribs were good. I've never had their pulled pork so I can't comment there.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:56 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
Dave, my mother was a long time Jim and Nicks devotee and she is now an avid Full Moon fan Personally, I love Jim and Nicks, those little muffins are addicting!

I have not been to Full Moon yet, but I have heard it is awesome by many people I know in the Bham area. Chuck Wagon is on my list, and I can't believe all these years I have yet to go there with it just down the road. But, lately our favorite has been 360 on Hwy 72 between Madison and Athens.....even my DH who is not the biggest BBQ fan suggests that place quite often now!

I too grew up on Golden Rule in Irondale, that has always been my dad's favorite. The one here in Madison is not quite as good IMO, but still pretty decent. I absolutely love the BBQ salads, YUM!

Old 06-24-2014, 08:21 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
There's a Dickey's opening up next to Panera here in Research Park. Any relation to the ones down there?
Yes. Same chain.

Quote:
I grew up in Florida so BBQ here is way different. I don't like "white sauce". I don't like "vinegar" sauce. That pretty much puts 90 percent of the bbq joints here in Huntsville off any list for me. I also prefer sliced pork, but no one does that here. Then I'd go pulled pork. Some places here chop their pork up so fine its almost baby food by the time they serve it. That puts another 5 percent of the places out.
I'm with ya on that. I do not like chopped pork at all. Sometimes I can tolerate pulled. However I always order a sandwich with sliced outside (if I feel like some burnt bark in my sandwich) or sliced inside meat (if I just want it to be as tender as a mother's love.) I do like vinegar based sauce and white sauce, but I was raised on sweet ketchup based sauces. The good news is the places here don't force you in either direction because there are so many with so many variations.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:23 AM

36 posts, read 38,511 times
Golden Rule in Hoover is tops!!! Lemon ice box is insanely good.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:33 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,216,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
But, lately our favorite has been 306 on Hwy 72 between Madison and Athens.....even my DH who is not the biggest BBQ fan suggests that place quite often now!

+1 to that. Great food and great people!

Old 06-24-2014, 09:53 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,057,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
+1 to that. Great food and great people!
Where is that exactly? Is it west of County Line?

Old 06-24-2014, 10:22 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,216,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya Blue View Post
Where is that exactly? Is it west of County Line?
Yes. It is west of Isom's Orchard, just past the Christmas tree farm, on the north side of 72.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/30...39e335c5?hl=en

Old 06-24-2014, 11:23 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,057,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
Yes. It is west of Isom's Orchard, just past the Christmas tree farm, on the north side of 72.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/30...39e335c5?hl=en
Oh yeah, I know where that is now. I've seen it a few times and wanted to go, but it was never at a time I was going to eat. Thanks!

Old 06-24-2014, 05:06 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,279,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Dave, my mother was a long time Jim and Nicks devotee and she is now an avid Full Moon fan Personally, I love Jim and Nicks, those little muffins are addicting!

I have not been to Full Moon yet, but I have heard it is awesome by many people I know in the Bham area. Chuck Wagon is on my list, and I can't believe all these years I have yet to go there with it just down the road. But, lately our favorite has been 360 on Hwy 72 between Madison and Athens.....even my DH who is not the biggest BBQ fan suggests that place quite often now!

I too grew up on Golden Rule in Irondale, that has always been my dad's favorite. The one here in Madison is not quite as good IMO, but still pretty decent. I absolutely love the BBQ salads, YUM!
The muffins really make it! I would pick Chuck Wagon or even Ted's here in town for quality of meat. But the over all experience at Jim N Nicks is what keeps me going back.

I have heard so many good things about 306, but it is soo far, in fact on a lark last week I almost drove out there, but then I thought how far it was and just decided to go to Bham, but that was also to visit West Elm in person for the fabric swatches.

Full Moon and 306, on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area