Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 09:06 PM

1,644 posts, read 3,035,606 times

Advertisements

As much as I tend to discount tornadoes (and for good reason) the beginning of this trailer that came on in front of Edge of Tomorrow freaked me out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_kj8EKhV3w

Once you reach the halfway point it's kinda goofy though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 07:27 AM

7 posts, read 30,066 times
My son goes to UAH.

If you will be living on campus, UAH has lots of tornado shelters, in most if not all buildings, I believe.

The local meteorologists are very good about warning the community about upcoming severe weather, and UAH has a warning system you can sign up for that sends a phone call whenever there is a tornado warning in the area.

I think you get accustomed to whatever is around you. I grew up in Oklahoma, now live in Huntsville, and have only seen an actual tornado a few times in my life.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:36 PM

462 posts, read 720,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyannefebo View Post
Hi there!
I'm currently an art student in Puerto Rico, about to start my second year here, however I'm not happy with what I've been doing so I've decided changing my major. UAH offers what I want. There's only one thing that is freaking me out badly: tornadoes. We don't get that kind of stuff here, apart from a few earthquake scares now and then, and maybe a tropical storm per year. I've been checking the university out and it seems like a great campus with lots of activities and clubs for students. However, I'm so scared about tornadoes occurring, that it might be a deal breaker. I would really like to know how it really is for actual residents, in terms of being safe and getting out of a tornadoes way if it's in your path. I would be living close to campus, if that matters.

Thanks in advance.
Stay away from Airport Road. Tornadoes love that area.

Seriously, we get warnings all the time, but the overall chances of having property damage from them is low. Fatalities are even lower. They hit an isolated path hard, but don't do much damage that a common thunderstorm couldn't do outside of its path. In 2011 there was a big tornado, and though it did not hit many developed places in Huntsville, the whole end of the state was without power for up to a week because vital lines were damaged. Most of the time tornadoes are a non-issue. They have drills for them in school, and usually you are advised to seek an inner part of your house or a basement.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:18 PM

230 posts, read 388,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morningperson View Post
My son goes to UAH.

If you will be living on campus, UAH has lots of tornado shelters, in most if not all buildings, I believe.

The local meteorologists are very good about warning the community about upcoming severe weather, and UAH has a warning system you can sign up for that sends a phone call whenever there is a tornado warning in the area.

I think you get accustomed to whatever is around you. I grew up in Oklahoma, now live in Huntsville, and have only seen an actual tornado a few times in my life.
This.

Also, while a tornado can happen any place, by and large there are certain areas that have historically proven to be more prone to tornado tracks, especially stronger ones. The UAH campus and surrounding area is NOT one of these areas.

To put it another way...I was born in South Florida and lived most of my life there, including the wonderful years of 2004 and 2005. I have seen plenty of hurricanes. I'll take what we get from tornadoes here over hurricanes any day of the week. A few minutes' anxiety vs. days of worrying about a storm's path and strength, and possibly hours in the worst of it (100+ mph winds)...no-brainer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
View detailed profiles of: