Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 12:07 PM

261 posts, read 738,628 times

Advertisements

Recently, while looking over a plat map on the city of Madison site, I saw the following notation by a curved dotted line across the property: "65+ DNL NOISE IMPACT AREA HUNTSVILLE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT." I tried searching for noise impact maps for HSV but didn't have any luck. Since we're focusing on Madison for our next (and hopefully last) house, I want to make sure I've checked out everything from flood zones to possible development nearly to noise from the airport. While I don't expect to avoid airplane noise entirely, I imagine that some neighborhoods are less affected than others.

Can someone please provide a link for HSV noise impact maps? Or, if they're not available online, is there a site on which I can find all of the neighborhood plat maps in Madison? Most of my search results are for meetings at which plats are discussed and the maps contained in the minutes are difficult to read. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 06:04 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,300,367 times
I don't know where those maps are but I can tell you this: we are just west of county line. We do see & hear planes of course. But the landing pattern for
The north comes in pretty much over Balch Rd. So anything off Balch is under that flight pattern. The only planes that fly right over us is when the cargo planes practice their touch & go's.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:15 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,577,060 times
The two parallel runways are a mile apart, the west runway is 12,600 feet long, the east is 10,006.
Doesn't answer the question but a large area is impacted

Old 06-23-2014, 07:00 AM

626 posts, read 754,470 times
I live on County Line road and at night time when the freight planes come in, it almost wakes us up nightly. Those FedEx 727's are LOUD!

Old 06-23-2014, 07:38 AM

24 posts, read 31,043 times
I live in East Limestone (south of 72, north of Huntsville-Brownsferry) and it's pretty loud even there. Loud enough to scare the dog at least.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:55 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,206,361 times
I live just west of CL near the new McDonalds and do not notice the noise on a daily basis. The only planes I do hear are when the C-5s or C-17s are circling around and practicing touch-n-go landings with 1 engine off and the other 3 revved way up.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:33 AM

261 posts, read 738,628 times
I expect, and don't mind, some air traffic noise. I was an Air Force brat and some of those sounds remind me of my dad who was a pilot. Enough loud noise to scare dogs would be a deal killer.

The one plat map I mentioned was for a JBH neighborhood, Millstone. We don't plan to buy there, but I just happened on it while looking for other information. Some of the plat maps I've found aren't in formats that can be enlarged clearly enough to read details so I'm still searching.

Would neighborhoods such as Chapel Hill, Walden Preserve, Crest at Crown Pointe, and Foxfield be under flight paths with heavy traffic?

Does anyone have a link to plat maps in Adobe or other formats that can be enlarged for easier reading? I'd like to be able to read the details of easements and anything else that could sway our decision.

Thanks!

Old 06-23-2014, 08:59 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
You might just put in a call to the airport manager. My general experience has been if you draw a circle 3 miles around an airport, there is going to be noise within that circle, with the bulk of the noise aligned with the runways. I figured that out after buying a house that was under the flight path of some Ntnl Guard F-4s that liked to scramble in the middle of the night with full afterburners. Where we are now, the only planes I hear are crop dusters, life flight, chopper transfers, and marijuana hunters. A big difference from the Ft. Lauderdale area, which sounded like something out of "Fifth Element."

Old 06-23-2014, 09:57 AM

2,451 posts, read 3,214,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHaus View Post
Would neighborhoods such as Chapel Hill, Walden Preserve, Crest at Crown Pointe, and Foxfield be under flight paths with heavy traffic?
HSV doesn't have heavy traffic.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:24 AM

523 posts, read 1,003,592 times
See my post here.....

//www.city-data.com/forum/hunts...l#post31224172

Go to The Huntsville Interactive map, click on the "more" button and turn on "FAAZones".
This may be what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area